Archinect
anchor

ArchiCAD vs Revit

spadex

Hi, Anybody have any experience on one or both even?

Gosh, our office is in a slight dilemma - we're deciding between archicad vs revit, which is easier to learn and implement from an autoCAD background?

We're used to controlling every single line and thickness of the annotations, drafting standards and drawing frames. I'm afraid we may lose the line thickness of our current 2D standards... for example have a look at www.softplan.com , at Softplan itself and the left 2D drawings. They're beautiful... can you get that sort of finish with Archicad / Revit? And which CAD app produces these kinds of drawings more quickly and efficiently? Our boss is getting tired of all his employees drawing line by line of everything including doors and windows, stone steps, thresholds. so I'm suggesting a parametric modeller. but as we all know, it's kinda pointless to produce 3D visual representations when you've bought sketchup... it's the 2D portion that's lacking in speed and efficiency. Some here may go on about telling the contractor to build from Sketchup drawings. But we have regulatory standards here that require councils approvals from archaic 2D drawings.

The only great about AutoCAD is detailing at 150 and below) (metric). Can we have the same kind of AutoCAD speed of drafting at these smaller detail scales?

thanks,
spadex

Jan 4, 05 2:00 am
antipod

Hey Spadex,

Just spent my first two years in practice working with ArchiCAD. Like any program it does have advantages and disadvantages.

If you already know CAD then you can all pick it up really quickly. There are a few little things which you have to bend your mind around to start with but I was doing 3d and details and things within a week or so.

The parametric modelling aspect can be fantastic or it can drive you insane. It's great when you have exactly what you want as a library object. If you have to make it yourself it's really annoying. ArchiCAD only really works in plans/sections/elevations. building in 3d is a real mission.

Drawings in just 2d is actually much much faster and more intuitive than AutoCAD. I like if for that alone. Modelling is fine if you are dealing with basic structures but true boolean modelling is a long way off for Graphisoft.

Yous should get a rep to show a couple of people in the office how it all works so you can see it in action.

I've only had a passing glance at Revit, but what i have seen is impressive. Looks as though it could be the best of both worlds. Possibly a very expensive way to go tho.

Thats my 2c. If you wanna know anything more specific about ArchiCAD pop another Q on here.

Laters.
Reuben

Jan 4, 05 10:46 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i was using revit about 4 years ago so i don't really know what sort of advances it has made...
and i've recently been using archiCAD for about a year.
based on what i've experienced here are my personal opinions...
the quality of 3d modeling is nearly the same.
archiCAD is not hard to learn
archiCAD has a great file organization and layer combinations set-up
i wouldn't worry about 2D standards with archiCAD, you can even create your own linetypes. i favor archiCAD's true-weight display while drafting to autoCAD's favored freaky color-represented weights.
a drawback with archiCAD is that i don't think it is so good for really large projects, i dont really know, because i haven't actually used it in a project larger than a 12,000 sqft home, but, i could see how it might get a little hairy.

Jan 4, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: