Industry: Government – NYC Parks
Salary: $57,129 - $65,698 plus excellent benefits
Title: Buildings Estimator
The New York City Department of Parks & Recreation (NYC Parks) serves as the steward for over 29,000 acres of land, which includes 1,000 playgrounds, 35 recreation centers, 66 pools and 14 miles of beach. Our primary responsibility is to build and maintain clean, safe and accessible parks, and to create cultural and educational programs for New Yorkers of all ages to enjoy. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. www.nyc.gov/parks
- Under general supervision, review technical plans and specifications prepared by Capital Division in-house architects and engineers. Prepare schematic, preliminary and final engineers' estimates based on industry standards and data mined from historic agency bid information.
- Maintain a database of bid trends and establish guidelines to assist architects and engineers in the design phase.
- Establish project pricing guidelines for the purposes of budget forecasting. Provide Department of Park and Recreation (DPR) building stakeholders with order of magnitude project estimates for their use in prioritizing capital needs requests.
- Contribute effectively into the value engineering efforts of design and technical staff to bring design projects into budget.
- Analyze completed projects to compare estimated costs to actual costs to inform current estimating.
- Prepare or review engineer's estimates for construction change order work.
- Assist the design job captain in analyzing contractor's or consultant's estimates and contractor bids.
- Actively contribute to the development of policies, procedures, systems and standards of the Capital Division to enhance cost effective design and construction.
- As directed, participate in bid review panels.
- As directed, represent the Agency at external meetings such as external value engineering reviews or project meetings.
- Develop and maintain a library of estimating resources for architects and engineers to use.
One year of full-time satisfactory experience in supervising employees performing project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, on engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects, or supervising a construction project with a value of $1,000,000 or more, and either:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, business administration, or public administration, and one year of full-time satisfactory experience in project management work, such as planning, administering, managing, coordinating or expediting, for engineering and/or architectural and/or landscape architectural projects; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and five years of experience as described in “1” above; or
- A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent plus any combination of college education and/or experience described in “1” above to make up equivalent of five years education and experience. One year of experience credit will be given for: (a) each 30 semester credits of college education leading to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in engineering, architecture, business administration, or public administration; (b) a Masters degree from an accredited university in one of the disciplines described in “1” above; or (c) a valid New York State license as a Professional Engineer, Registered Architect or Registered Landscape Architect.
Experience that is primarily of a design nature is not acceptable towards meeting the qualification requirements.
This position is exempt from NYC residency requirements.
- Valid New York State license to practice architecture or engineering.
- At least five years experience in leading a multidisciplinary team of professionals or prime consultant contracts.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve design, engineering and contractual issues.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Driver license valid in New York State.
Apply by 8/8/14:
1) Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search
2) Search for Job ID#: 156006
For details about NYC Parks: www.nyc.gov/parks