The CAD Manager will be required to prepare and take ownership of architectural drawings through the lifecycle of a project from Schematic and Design Development to Pricing and Construction Documentation phases for several project types from small projects (categorized as 300 - 2000 S.F), medium-sized projects (categorized as 2000 s.f. -6,000 S.F.) to larger more complex projects (categorized as 6,000 S.F. and above). Project locations are at on-lot facilities as well as off-lot leased facilities, both domestically and internationally.
The CAD Manager position requires the candidate be detail-oriented and a self starter that can work both independently and in a team setting with minimal oversight. The CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate the ability to support 5-7 project managers and successfully manage the demands of several projects concurrently (including stand alone projects), each differing in scope, size, location and milestone target dates. The CAD Manager is required to have a strong understanding of drawing organization and will be required to manage and enforce AIA drawing standards and standards libraries. The position may be required to oversee more junior level CAD-persons.
The CAD Manager will be required to manage the Culver City based global repository of all architectural drawings for both owned and leased facilities worldwide. The CAD Manager will need to demonstrate strong time management skills, as the position is also required to work closely with the Manager of Facilities Systems by facilitating and preparing the time-sensitive release drawings necessary to support the company’s global Archibus system for space and maintenance management.
The CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate a strong understanding of the overall studio lot, its real estate, utilization thereof and general infrastructure so as to strategically support the various project types that the Worldwide Facilities Department is responsible for. The CAD Manager must be able to establish and maintain a solid rapport with direct co-workers as well as with other departments throughout the Sony Companies.
- AutoCAD/Revit/3-D rendering: The CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate an extensive comprehension of AutoCAD (all versions past, current and future) and Revit as well as demonstrate a strong understanding of other computer aided design applications for such purposes as having the ability to translate and manipulate other drawing file formats that may come from a third party source, both domestically and internationally. The CAD Manager will be required to provide 3-D presentation materials for certain projects when required. The CAD Manager will be responsible for setting up all drawing files, in the global project repository, required to produce and maintain the above mentioned architectural drawings. The CAD Manager will be required to stay current on all release updates for AutoCAD and Revit and make sure the Architectural Services Department is keep abreast of said updates, in order to ensure that all staff members are working with the most current tools. The CAD Manager will be responsible for ensuring the upkeep and oversight of all required software licenses. The CAD Manager will also be available to troubleshoot and guide other staff members on their questions and concerns regarding the AutoCAD and Revit platforms.
- Drawing Maintenance/Coordination: The CAD Manager will be required to perform (but not limited to) the following tasks: a) Monitor and maintain AIA “best practices” as it relates to (but not limited to) graphic standards (line weights, text sizes and fonts), drawing composition and sequencing, layering standards and dimensioning for all architectural drawings. b) Make sure that all staff members and third party consultants are conforming to and maintaining said “best practices”, both domestically and internationally. c) Make sure that the current “released” drawings are issued on a timely and regular basis so as to support the accuracy of the Architectural Services’ drawing directory as well as the Archibus system, as mentioned above, both domestically and internationally. d) Maintain the CAD printers and plotters in Culver City. e) Manage the process of archiving project drawing files once a project has been completed and closed, both domestically and internationally. f) Create, maintain and manage project directories and standards libraries, both domestically and internationally. g) Contribute ideas to improve drawing and file management. h) Maintain all necessary application licenses required by the Architectural Services Department.
- Construction Documentation: The CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate a strong understanding of the AIA construction documentation standards and be able to prepare a thorough set with minimal direction for facility locations domestically and internationally. The CAD Manager will be (under the general directive of a Project Manager) required to bring to completion a full set of construction documents in order to secure the necessary pricing, permits and execute construction for projects of varying size, scope and location. The position will require a strong understanding of the construction process, construction materials and their uses and demonstrate a clear understanding of construction detailing as well as how to research detailing solutions. Also required will be a general understanding of building electrical and mechanical systems, as well as technology driven requirements such as telecommunications, AV, screening room and editing facility requirements, for consultant drawing coordination purposes. During the Design Development phase of construction documentation the CAD Manager will, in some instances, be required to conduct surveys in order to document existing conditions of localized facilities. During the Schematic Design phase the CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate a strong understanding of spatial relationships so as to be able to execute test fits at domestic and international sites. Accuracy and attention to detail are critical for the position.
- The CAD manager must demonstrate the ability to manage and delegate tasks to more junior level CAD-persons.
- Release Drawings: The CAD Manager will be required to accurately and consistently manage the process of releasing all updated (as-built) space drawings, both domestically and internationally, in a timely manner, so as to support the Archibus system. The CAD Manager will be required to have an understanding of all the projects occurring in-house, so as to work with the Architectural Services staff members on getting their drawing updates released in a consistent and timely manner. The CAD Manager will be required to further develop the releasing process in concert with the Manager of Facilities Systems. and further familiarize themselves with the process so as to be able to support requests should said manager be out of the office for a period of time.
- Building Codes: The CAD Manager will be required to have a solid understanding of building code issues that relate to interior spaces, and demonstrate a general knowledge of where to seek any information necessary to complete further code research that any given project may require, both domestically and internationally.
- Manage Project Deadlines and Costs. The position will require that the CAD Manager be proficient at managing multiple project deadlines, of varying size, scope and location concurrently. For scheduling purposes, the CAD Manager will be required to demonstrate the ability to accurately forecast and track the time required to complete the task/project currently at hand and manage said time accordingly. The CAD Manager must demonstrate the ability to forecast and manage the time of more junior level CAD-persons if required. The CAD Manager will be required to provide weekly status updates to the department lead. The nature of studio work will require the CAD Manager to be able to manage change in scope and schedule without compromise of accuracy.
- BA or BS degree in Interior Design or Architecture or equivalent preferred.
- Proficient in the following program applications: AutoCAD (all versions), Revit, Microsoft Office applications. BIM and 3-D experience. Experience with Archibus a plus, but not required. Strong written, listening and verbal skills.
- Experience: Requires a minimum 5-8 years AutoCAD and more recent Revit experience (Experience Level D) in the field of Commercial Interior Design or Architecture (prior Entertainment experience is not a prerequisite).
Please apply online directly at https://sonypictures.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=CUL00002117&lang=en&sns_id=addthis-service-code
Or you can contact:
Zack Hall, HR Manager, email@example.com