Mandarin Speaking Project Manager
Job Description: We are currently seeking a Mandarin speaking Project Manager to join our Chicago office. The ideal candidate will have a strong architectural background and will have proven success managing all facets of a project. Fluency in both Mandarin Chinese and English is required.
- Promotes Project Management as a discipline within and outside of SOM.
- Prepares project proposal, services agreement in conjunction with Project Partner.
- Develops and maintains a Project Plan for each project.
- Serves as primary contact with client, external consultants and vendors.
- Manages project services required; maintains internal cost control procedures, monitors and documents project process.
- Conduct important client communications and videoconferencing occasionally after hours to coincide with regular business hours in China.
- Schedules and chairs all client meetings. Records the minutes of these meetings and documents action items.
- Contributes to SOM’s leadership by enabling clear communications among team leaders, consultants and clients while promoting professional relationships internally and externally.
- Reconciles the goals and priorities of SOM with those of our clients while fostering opportunities for design and technical excellence.
- Convey valuable design information from the client to the design team.
- Receives and distributes project communication regarding delivery of services to all team leaders.
- Monitors services vis-à-vis the contract requirements and identifies changes in project scope, schedule or service that result in supplemental or additional services and bring such changes to the immediate attention of the client and Project Partner.
- Documents all phases of service.
- Chairs weekly project coordination meetings on all active projects.
- Prepares, in conjunction with Project Accountant, appropriate billings and pursues payment compliant with services agreement.
- Maintains and updates project data in a timely fashion to insure accurate reporting of earnings and accurate billings.
- Reviews timecards on a weekly basis for conformance with the Project Plan.
- Supervises one or more employees.
- Participates in marketing and business development.
- Actively pursues opportunities for professional development.
Background and Skill set:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and English
- 7 or more years of progressively responsible project experience.
- Licensed Architect or Engineer or equivalent of experience in a related profession.
- Previous experience working for an American firm doing business with companies in the People's Republic of China strongly preferred
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of architectural design, drafting, detailing, building materials, building codes, construction techniques and costs.
- Proven knowledge of general architecture practice including programming, site planning, civil, structural, mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to build quick rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants and vendors.
- Proven ability in problem identification, problem solving and conflict resolution.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally on a regular basis.
- Strong multi-tasking skills.
SOM is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We conduct all employment-related activities without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status (except where certain characteristics are essential bona fide occupational requirements or where a disability is a bona fide occupational disqualification), as required by applicable law. SOM welcomes diversity in the workplace. SOM will make reasonable accommodation in the application process for applicants with disabilities, as required by applicable law. Please contact the Human Resources department at the location of interest to request accommodation.
We realize that all candidates may not be able to submit an online application. If you cannot submit an online application for a position, please submit your resume, cover letter and 3 to 4 works samples to the appropriate office (C/O Human Resources) via regular mail. Clearly indicate in the cover letter the position and location to which you are applying. For a complete listing of SOM locations and addresses, please visit the Contact section on our web site at www.som.com.
Complete profile and upload resume & work samples at the SOM Career Center: