Archinect
anchor

what is canonical building?does zaha's vitra fire station can count in?

momafresh25

i want to do some case study like eisenman,

but i want to research so thing like deconstructionism like tom mayen or zaha.

i just want to know how to say a building is or not canonical building ? does zaha's vitra fire station can count in?

May 7, 10 3:03 am
citizen
canon

: "The body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art."

That's one definition --not necessarily the best, but it gets the idea across. For for our field we could add "representative structures."

The main point is that a canon is a cultural construct... meaning that it is the product of time, discourse, debate, more time, and more discourse.

Can a relatively recent building be considered canonical? Good question!

May 7, 10 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
ManBearPig

Considering the fire station is no longer used as such and instead as storage, sure why not.

May 7, 10 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
metal

Can Lady Gage be considered a diva?

May 7, 10 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
momafresh25

Thank you , now I understand.

May 8, 10 1:57 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

Just a quick note to ManBearPit and others....

The Vitra firehouse is no longer used in it's original function because the municipal fire department now covers the Vitra factory (which it previously didn't), rendering the company's own volunteer fire department unneccessary. The rumours that it was unfit as a fire station aren't exactly true.

It is also not used simply as 'storage' in the conventional sense, but rather as a place for holding and displaying part of the design museum's permanent collection. You can visit it as part of the guided tour.

May 8, 10 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: