Archinect
anchor

AFH gets front page on NYTimes.com

SuperBeatledud

Granted it's not the main headline (what with the TC collapse) but a ray of sunshine in what would be otherwise a sour day has pierced through the NYTimes.com front page. Congrats Cameron and AFH!!

Aug 2, 07 10:05 am
Cameron

cheers. - who knew, we're building houses and stuff...

The irony of the TC collapse is that the University of Minnesota runs a studio with AFH down in Biloxi. They were all pretty down last night on hearing the news.

It did not note it in the article but funding for this program was provided by Oprah's Angel Network, the Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund of the McCormick Tribune Foundation, the Boston Society of Architects and all y'all who donated.

We’re especially grateful to hundreds of volunteers, design fellows and Americorps staff who came on down over the past year to help rebuild.

C.

Aug 2, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

The funny thing was all the headline read was
"Design Steps Up in Disaster’s Wake
A nonprofit group brings architects to those without a home."
and I knew who they were talking about....well maybe that isn't funny because there aren't a lot of guesses out there of who could possibly be doing such a charitable thing.

Aug 2, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
open

Nice article - glad to see some "mainstream" press on such an important issue/cause/investment.

Aug 2, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Congrats Cameron and AFH!

I was pretty depressed with some recent threads, but this one makes me proud to be in this field.

Aug 2, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

good job with the press C. So when are you appearing on Oprah?

Aug 2, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

Great Coverage Cameron!
Good to hear things are going well in Biloxi.....

Aug 2, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

nice design....

Aug 2, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Aug 2, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

congratulations cameron and afh.

really cool.

great looking house, too!

Aug 2, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

all 7 'model homes' are different. the two MC2 homes should be done in time for the 2 year anniversary - Marlon Blackwell and Maurice Coxs' should break ground soon... Studio Gang will be the last.

oh I forgot to thank Paul in the newsletter - but we found our biloxi program folks here on archinect.

Aug 2, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

oh year 1800 sq. ft. 4 bedroom - $115,000.. NO VINYL SIDING - all Hardie...

Aug 2, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

nice. I noticed that Treehugger picked up the story as well. No additional coverage, just photos and a caption linking to the NYT piece, but the extra publicity's always good.

Aug 2, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

I requested information about going down to volunteer last week by sending an e-mail to the address provided on the AFH website and I haven't heard back...suppose there's a flood of requests after getting the front page article?

Aug 6, 07 7:45 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

You should get a reply from Beth [email beth (at) architectureforhumanity (dot) org]. Actually we hardly got anyone. I've noticed when you get an article in a mainstream media outlet you will get lots of folks thanking you for doing the work, not many enlisting...

If you don't hear anything by end of day today, email me directly - cameron (at) .....

Aug 6, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

Congrats Cameron and AFH!!!

Architecture... it really has not stood for anything else!

And I know what you mean by a lot of thank you's ho-hum what a neat idea, but not much action going on afterwards!

Aug 7, 07 5:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: