Archinect
anchor

Offset Carbon FootPrint

Lego Builder

what are some good ways to offset a carbon foot print from a house?
beside planting trees.

I am sure there is a lot of information on this, if so could someone point
me in the right direction. thanks.

Jun 12, 07 12:23 pm

Reduction is better than offsetting. Many to most carbon offsets are scams.

Jun 12, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i would start with http://www.terrapass.com/

Jun 12, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

legos are not the most carbon-neutral building material either

Jun 12, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

YEAH...OFFSETS...WTF? (oops...)

;)

Jun 12, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

add passive and active energy systems

Jun 12, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

don't build it.

Jun 12, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
switters

offsets=relieve liberal guilt for those who can afford it. this practice of paying for remissions was called an Indulgence in the Roman Catholic church. vado is right and the next advice will be to kill yourself if you are earnest about doing something for the environment.

Jun 12, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

add to that the fact that a good number of carbon offsets go to companies who have purposely built the shittiest power plants possible so that they could get you to pay for upgrades, and you have a system that's actually doing as much harm as it is good.

Jun 12, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
toroid
church of euthenasia

NSFW!

Jun 12, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
postal

though difficult to control, and obviously a last resort... offsets do provide a way for people to support and advance sustainable energy and businesses. of course, every douche is going to take their cut on its way to the actual resource. but you got to start the revenue somewhere in order for these turbines/solar thermal arrays to become more efficient and financially feasible.

it is a terribly unethical thing to not conserve and then just offset though, it's like throwing your ethical contribution to sustainability into a giant bureaucracy, which really diminishes the impact you could and should have.

but if you're looking offset your own electrical/gas use...than your energy provided probably has a program in which to can buy "green bucks" or offsets, anyone else do this?

Jun 12, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

green capitalism is just about a owner class who wants to say everything is not fascisticly 100% recycled and sustainable but we still own you! hah

Jun 12, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

not = now

Jun 12, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

send me $500 a month and i'll offset your carbon emissions...

Jun 12, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, you can offset 2 tons of carbon per year by sending me $8,000. And a car will be donated to charity in your name!

Jun 12, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

y and how?

Jun 12, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm going to sell my car. Me not travelling by car = approx. 2 tons of carbon dioxide saved per year. $$$ I want for my car = $8,000. If someone gives me $8k as a 'carbon offset', I'll donate it to charity in their name.

Yes, I know it seems sketchy. But it's probably a tad less sketchy or equally sketchy as most carbon offset schemes.

Jun 12, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya how will we get assurances you will not offset your carbon onto your friends by getting them to give you rides ;) ?

Jun 12, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

every time I fart, I plant a tree

Jun 12, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Lego Builder

i forgot i need to be more indepth for you jokesters. LoL
i guess offset is the wrong word, or maybe not i dont know.

i wanted info on materials, that you guys are using, know
about, etc.

passive designing is so site specific that unless your
in houston TX, at I-10 & Washington, then your input
is probably to general to be any extra help.

whoever wants money please email me at [email protected]

p.s. Lego should be made out of recycled soda bottles and link-n-logs should be made out of bamboo or sinker cypress.

Jun 12, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

ahhh, sorry lego. I wasn't joking, I seriously thought you meant Carbon Offsets, which are a big fad right now.

Jun 12, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
postal

materials, like embodied energy?

Jun 13, 07 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Lego Builder

sure, like plaster vs sheetrock.

Jun 13, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: