Archinect
anchor

"Robots to automate home building"

Chch

Well, there goes another part of the building process...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/rival-robots-prepping-to-automate-home-building/

Jan 16, 07 12:02 pm
JMBarquero/squirrelly

oh and I love this part of the article...."obviously leaving a bit of work for the decorators, but allowing..."

so does this mean that we've been reduced to decorators now?

F this shit....those bastards at USC.....Gawd!!!!!
not only frightening, but infuriating!

Jan 16, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

throw some lasers on that biatch...

Jan 16, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Come on, can't be that bad. Something like 40% of landfill waste is from building construction? Surely the trades will be around for a long time to come...but there's got to be some room for robots.

Jan 16, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

squirrelly: ask yourself...who controls the robots?

if we position ourselves correctly...the architects.

this is the wave of the future and we as architects have to be the ones on the surfboard.

i would love it if i could do a 3D model of a building and then directly hire someone to fab it with robots. sure, a lot still needs to be done, but it'll take a huge variable out of the

think about it for a second: no more redneck contractors who can't read (plans and/or written directions), no more "that ain't the way my framer does it, and he's done 1000 tract houses", no more "we cain't build that."

no more guys screwing stuff up because they came to work on a sunday so that they could make some overtime. no more yahoos who do stuff wrong because they think, who could possibly want THAT, when it's EXACTLY what you want.

see you in the past, i'm getting my wetsuit on.

Jan 16, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

out of the process...sorry, humans wrote my post.

Jan 16, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

suer ochona, I completely see your vision mate, however you must realize that we don't live in a world that is perfect. Sure, I wanna ride the waves that lead our profession into a new horizon, but realistically....do you really think it will be the way you envisioned it?

Not trying to be a downer, just realize that someone will f**k this up somehow, and then, just like everything....blame it on us...the architects!

Jan 16, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

squirrelly

you were ridin' the waves saturday night...

Jan 16, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Nonsense -- when will fragile epoxy items, replace even today's mass produced items. What do you expect ,it is a deadend perception today's expertations hitting the wall producing what we don't want in a bad quality , the SAT files can't even be generated by most common CAD software , GEE is this how rigid you think, computers and skilled designers will work --- Instant prototyping at most , will produce small, fragile ,slow manufactored in expensive polymers , that will newer build a house for that, you need a structural method where the computer, calculate each building compoment in a strong structural and simple, assembly , Try draw a complicated model in 3Ds and try generate a SAT file to feed a rapid prototyper, --- see you can't.

Jan 16, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

I always thought the Constructocons were onto something...

Jan 16, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Jan 16, 07 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

This thread totally reminds me of that mid-80s movie "Runaway" starring Tom Selleck as a cop, Gene Simmons (from KISS) as the bad guy, and Kirstie Alley as the hottie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088024/

It takes place in the 'near' future when robots that construct buildings, mow the grass, etc. become part of everyday life. Every so often, one of them goes crazy and kills people. Tom Selleck saves the day! There's also some cool robot spiders that inject acid!!!

Jan 16, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jul 7, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I still find the concept strange --- in the future instead of bricklayers you engage an oversize instant prototype mashin to place the bricks ,in a way that acturly just mimic a bricklayer , I know it's not bricks , but where are the difference ; isn't this just the useal way we use new technologies from our pictures about how just to automate something , like the assembly line robots that produce the car by mimic workers --- how on earth will we emagine designs to change newthinking to come ,when all we can emagine are to replace the worker at the assembly line with limited function robots or replace the bricklayer with an XYZ delivery robot.

Jul 8, 07 7:35 am  · 
 · 
outthere

hey if i can make a small crazy shaped three dimensional model in school from a 3d printer that is smart enough to use a structural webbing inside hollow partitions and produce it in about 1-2hrs ...then then you never know whats going to happen... our designs are becoming more and more limitless everyday

Jul 8, 07 8:02 am  · 
 · 

yeah, huck: cheaper and cheaper corinthian-columned mcmansions from the comfort of your desk! ('cause isn't the primary challenge getting people to actually WANT your small crazy shaped three dimensional model?)

Jul 8, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

It is perfectly allright with this instant prototype concept , but I think it is important to know it's limitations, --- now much can be said positive about being able to acturly bring something from a virtual world into reality and just that I guess is the most chalancing thing about it but, this don't change the fact ,that even you fill out the hollow with what they call eggcreate --- a cube like structure that fit well with the instant prototyping thing as it bring a core for the eggshell but, what vorry me about this among others new technikes is, that they are used just as a support for other old fasion production technikes ---
The instant prototypes are still fragile one-off in maybe the wrong material but the right form. This only fit into the tradisional fabrication as prototype and there it stop. The car plug made in styrofoam to, just replace the formwork done by nand with clay, and do it in super expensive styrofoam, the result a car in styrofoam ,the impac on tradisional production none.

Jul 8, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 
outthere

Yeh steve it is but if you can save on the contruction costs people might "WANT" it more because theyll be saving a buck or two ...I hate to break it to you steve but not all architecture is cookie cutter mcmansions...

Jul 8, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
brown666

The works of Françcois Roche are probably with the most interesting recent investigations on automated building procedures, robots and super 3D printers. They did some interesting experimentations with that stuff.. I've heard about it!

Roche was or is teaching at USC, so I guess he was/is involved in this big scale experiment in some way...

Jul 8, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

come on. i don't believe it, huck.

; )

Jul 8, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: