Archinect
anchor

Anything to see in Copenhagen?

bd

I'm off to Copenhagen at the end of this month, for a weekend, any suggestions of recent architecture worth taking in?

Aug 2, 04 5:26 pm
instrumentOFaction

Wow...i'm jealous. i was able to spend an entire summer there back in '98 and i would highly recommend a visit to Copenhagen. There is a lot to see, Architecturally speaking...many of the highlights can be found here:

http://www.dac.dk/guide/default.asp?lcid=1033

That site seems to only like playing with Internet Explorer, btw. I think it hits a few highlights including Arne Jacobsen's SAS Hotel, and his Danish National Bank. Also, on your way out to Christianhavn (for the surreal hash market atmosphere) check out the Arkitektenes Hus and 'the black diamond'. i don't know how wonderful those projects are, they were under construction while i was there, but they are definately 'recent'.

Basically anything by Henning Larsen would be extremely worthwhile too:
check them out at: http://www.hlt.dk/
-Tuborg Nort (mmmm...tuborg beer...nothing beats it..period...hoist one or six for me while you're there, eh?)
-The Danish Design Center
-http://www.operaprojektet.dk/page.php

also you might visit this, i'm not sure if its good or not, but it meets your "recent" criteria: http://www.woco.dk/composite-3368.htm

I would try the modern art museum for its 'old meets new' technique as well as the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek...its modern addition is quite good.

i would also check out the main square in downtown Copenhagen, about 3 blocks from the train station. its a great public space and the bus terminal is a nice little modern piece...a good 'background building'. This square also marks the beginning of (what i believe is) the longest pedestrian only shopping street in Europe. its a great meandering walk, cool boutique shops, and terminates up at Nyhavn, the 'postcard' multi-color port district of Copenhagen...a bit touristy but still a good stop to make. also touristy is Tivoli Park...i wouldn't take the time, personally.

well, this is just a list off the top of my head, PM me if you'd like some more info...i'd be happy to help. ENJOY!

Aug 2, 04 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

There's a building in the same area as the Dansk Architecture Center that I liked quite a bit. Couldn't tell if it was a law firm or a design studio or what. Also the square that the DAC and this building share is quite nice with a well designed pool/fountain. In general I think the contemporary landscape design in Copenhagen is pretty nice.

When I was there a year ago the Kunstindustrimuseet had a nice show depicting danish design through history and up to current day that I liked. They also had some contemporary furniture on exhibition which was quite excellent. I also second the recommendation for the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek.

The Black Diamond is interesting. I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but it's worth a look and again, I liked the way the public grounds around it are dealt with.

The Louisiana Museum is a 45 minute train ride from the center of CPH and has a show of Utzon's work right now. When I visited a year ago the weather was nice and it made a good day trip. You can stop to see a Jacobsen-designed housing complex in Klampenborg along the way with little extra effort since it's next to the train stop. Another possible daytrip is to Malmo, which has it's own set of architectural sights to see.

Finally, I've heard that there's a new district of the city under development with some interesting contemporary architecture. I think it's happening under the auspices of the Royal Academy somewhere in the docklands on the eastern side of town... anyone know more about this?

Aug 3, 04 12:38 am  · 
 · 
igloominaire

All good tips - the Louisiana Museum was actually my favorite thing when I was there nine or ten years ago, and is well worth the short trip up north. If you're hungry when you get back to the city after this day trip, and feel like sampling some great Danish fare in the form of a bargain "eat-as-much-as-you-like" deal, go no further (surprisingly enough) than the central railway station itself: It features (or once did, at least) a nicely upscale but reasonably-priced restaurant that showcases what must be the world's original, defining smorgasbord. I ate so much, that was so good, I swear I saw stars. Maybe it was the Tuborg beer? In general Copenhagen is a friendly, clean, laid-back and cheerful city, and great fun to visit for a few days - good architecture, art, design, food and drink are in abundance all around. Enjoy!

Aug 3, 04 1:50 am  · 
 · 
bd

Thank you all for the responses

Aug 3, 04 4:27 am  · 
 · 
instrumentOFaction

Good call on the Louisiana Museum...i would try to make the trip if you have time...if not for the Utzon exhibition alone, than for the great collection of Giacometti sculpture...its a great museum, a great set of buildings, great siting and great art...and just a short train ride from town.

http://www.louisiana.dk/

also, don't miss out on meeting members of the nicest, most exciting population to be found anywhere in Europe...it would seem they're all quite beautiful and enjoy a good time. a very late night life exists in copenhagen so if you're into the scene, look for it.

Aug 3, 04 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: