Archinect
anchor

Best and Worst Architecture Schools

ARE workshop

Here is the name of the colleges of some cool people i've met along the way. And by cool I mean the best impression
1-Belgrade University
2-University of Santo Tomás (Philipines)
3-Virginia Polytechnic University
4-Catholic University (Washington DC)
5-University of Maryland
6-Iran school of architecture
7-Boston Architectural Center
worst:
1-Princeton
2-Harvard College
3-Cornell
good:
1-Yale
2-Columbia (NY)

Jul 31, 06 8:22 pm
archit84

you have serious problems

Jul 31, 06 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

Ok, let's make this the last post. Let this thread die. No more posts. We're not going to make a thread that bashes people based on the school they tried to go to.

ARE, get over your hangups, and don't dis people on this site.

Aug 1, 06 12:23 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Hottest Chicks I've met:

1. USC
2. UF
3. UCLA
4. Hooters
5. Santa Monica DMV
6. Product Reps

WORST:

1. Smith College
2. Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers

Aug 1, 06 4:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The coolest people I've ever met either went to Cranbrook, or didn't.

Aug 1, 06 6:47 am  · 
 · 
bubpip

The coolest breed of people I've known were all Architects or architecture students. Never mattered which school they went to.

Aug 1, 06 7:24 am  · 
 · 
cf

Some of the coolest architecture students I met left architecture school for another area of study. To this day I look at some of the buildings that have gone up in the last 10-15 years and wonder, what if?

Aug 1, 06 10:05 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

this is the dumbest thread. Let it drop.

Aug 1, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
cf

Silent But Deadly has a point people. For crying out loud, Harvard may be the worst architecture school in North America, but please, let students decide for themselves where they will throw their cash.

Aug 1, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
le bossman
Aug 1, 06 10:15 am  · 
 · 
cf

yuk, yuk, yuk

Aug 1, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

i guess this warrants a definition of coolness. judging by ARE's best imp. list...its enough to be in the average to poorer middle class, either in the third world or third rate locations...certainly no trust fund baby.

"sing along with the common people,
sing along and it might just get you through,
laugh along with the common people,
laugh along even though they're laughing at you,
and the stupid things that you do.
because you think that poor is cool"

pulp, basically sayng poor is cool and if you aint poor u'll never know what cool is. patronizing dribble, huh?

Aug 1, 06 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
e
Aug 1, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

my cat's breath smells like cat food

Aug 1, 06 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

I like chicken
I like liver
meow mix meow mix
please deliver

Aug 1, 06 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I just might be the coolest person I know.

Aug 1, 06 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

people who respond negatively to this post are obviously so UNcool....unless you are a student of one of the schools ARE listed. am i the only one that understands this?!

Aug 1, 06 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

Let's not lose sight of the fact that there might be dozens of NASA engineers hard at work on designing prototype structures for a possible Martian or Moon colony. These individuals will then be known as SPACE ARCHITECTS, and will suck vital COOLNESS away from mere earth architects.

There will be nothing cooler than a space architect.

Aug 1, 06 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

I bent my Wookie

Aug 1, 06 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

me fail english? that's unpossible

Aug 1, 06 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

we've already talked about space architecture. i think the conclusion we came to is that eventually the standards for space habitation would become redundant enough that architects would be able to work in space. besides there are architects who work for nasa, and regularly aid in the design of space stations and various other inhabited modules. i believe it was an industrial designer on the skylab team back in the 70's who proposed the idea of a window on the lab; the engineers apparently hadn't thought of it.

Aug 1, 06 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman
http://www.spacearchitect.org/
Aug 1, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

i choo choo choose you!!!

Aug 1, 06 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

any school has a higher number of cooler people than the school where i got my undergrad. thanks, ARE... i'm off your "worst" list. guess i'm all set then. that's basically the only thing i care about at school.

Three cheers for University of Santo Tomás!

Aug 1, 06 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

my doctor said my nose'd stop bleeding if i'd just quit putting my finger up there!

Aug 1, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

can you imagine all the 'building codes' required for you to design in space??? at least for the time being

it'll be interesting to observe how things in space will be designed...since earthly rules no longer apply...and maybe blobitecture will come to reality

will there even be a 'site' in space?

and maybe arch students of the future will take courses like space architecture 101 hehe

Aug 1, 06 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

In space architecture, cantilevers will always be a welcome solution.

Aug 1, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

In space architecture, bathrooms will be the hardest design.

Aug 1, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

no more sky hooks... "just float it"! - PW

Aug 1, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
wellywellywell

That's funny cuz it's truuuue!

Aug 1, 06 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

univ. of houston actually has a space architecture program, and its part of the arch school

what was this thread about again?

Aug 1, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

It's a battle of thread hijackers.

Aug 1, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

In space architecture, there will be no railings, because falling over the edge of something won't be a problem!

Aug 1, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

in space architecture you don't need ramps or stairs cause you can float up to different levels. no ADA <1:20 for rail-less ramps!!!!

Aug 1, 06 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

Wait- would wheel chairs even work in space? Wouldn't the quadraplegic people just be floating out there, immobil? But the paraplegics would be better off- they'd be able to get around with their arms, like swimming the breast stroke.

Aug 1, 06 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

rationalist, that is such a rational analysis of mobility in space! So true!

SBD, when Garrett Finney, architect for NASA, spoke at GSA recently, he recounted for us what he had heard about some of the original space bathroom designs: apparently it was a beautiful experience, in which the urine went outside the spacecraft, where it crystallized into, quoth the astronaut, "a million shooting stars".

Going to the bathroom just hasn't been the same for me since.

Aug 1, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

All kidding aside,
I do have a masters in space architecture from the Sasakawa International Center for Space Architecture at the University of Houston. (SICSA) I

t was cool. no money in it but yes I had classes in interstellar geology, had classes on how to design in zero G.

After school I went on to work for International Space Enterprises. It didn’t last though, because all of NASA’s funding was cut in 1993.

Aug 1, 06 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

don't beleive me

here is a link

http://archrecord.construction.com/resources/conteduc/archives/0212space-7.asp

Aug 1, 06 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm just trying to sell a penny for a dollar

Aug 1, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

...and where the fuck is parallel38?

Aug 1, 06 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
upside

say 'candyman' 5 times and he shall appear.

Aug 1, 06 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
upside

parallel38
parallel38
parallel38
parallel38
parallel38

hehe

Aug 1, 06 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

dsc_arch,

i always hear stories about sicsa graduates getting high level jobs at NASA...so is it mainly myth or did you just join the field when the governemnet cut nasa's funds? and how easy is it to find a job for those pursuing space architecture? isn't it a very small field?

Aug 1, 06 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Very small. it did not work out for me. however that was 1993. Call larry Ball at U of H and go down for a visit. The school had great resources when i was there.

Aug 2, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

lb, does that mean when we see a shooting star, it may actually be someone's piss?

Seeing shooting stars just aren't the same for me any more either....

Aug 2, 06 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Will Structural Engineers be necessary in space architecture? Do you really need moment calculations in zero gravity??

Aug 2, 06 10:37 am  · 
 · 
maya mcdifference

astronaut ice cream is the shiznit

Aug 2, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

if you have moving parts, yes, you still need engineers.

no gravity doesn't mean no forces.

you can get rid of:
geotech
surveyors
umm.... um...
landscape architects

Aug 2, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

landscape architect in space! now THAT, my friends, would be a job to have!

Aug 2, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

well, you must remember that lichen can grow in the vacuum of space!

http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1795.htm

Aug 2, 06 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Who designed HAL's plantings, anyway?

Aug 2, 06 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: