Archinect
anchor

Things to do see in Scandinavia

mauOne™

Following the thread of design in scandinavia i would like to ask if you guys could recommend ARCHI and NONARCHI things to do in Copenhagen, Oslo, Helsinki and Stockholm

thanks

Feb 15, 06 8:51 am
walter_

copenhagen - go to christiania, its a walled city within copenhagen with a completely amazing culture - architecturally and not. just wander and take it all in, it is a squatter settlement that is about to be destroyed by the danish government. also go up to louisiana museum in humlebaek. arken museum is a pretty great space, the art, etc isnt special though. the black box is pretty cool and so is the furniture store designed by jorn utzon (cant remember the name). go to skt. peter's bakery for breakfast and make sure you go to moose bar for beers.

Feb 15, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

moose bar for beers......coolest!
noted!

any more experiences in scandinavia?

Feb 15, 06 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

oslo. one of my favorite little cities since my mom is norwegian...

museums-
the kon tiki museum
the viking ship museum
the folksmuseet
the munch museum
the resistance museum - describing how the norwegian resistance
fought/subverted the nazis in ww2

vigelands park and the subsequent museum...i've only been
once or twice to the museum..the park many times...a great
collection of sculptures of the human experiencedisimilar to anywhere else i've been

holmenkollen - the ski jump for the 56? olympics

oslo is a nice small city, easily navigated. as far as nightlife..
i'm not too sure...i seem to remember going to a bar at the
university that was cheaper than most bars. bars are easy to
find though..

in stockholm i stayed on the island with the new art museum
by moneo..and i guess if you reserve early enough you can
stay on the boat that's associated with the hostel...which was
cheapish.

Feb 15, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i'll second urban_bunker on all for Copenhagen (although I'm not sure if I've been to the Moose Bar)...

also, although it's touristy, take a river tour if the weather permits (depending on time of year). It will allow you to take in a lot in a rather short period of time (including the Black Diamond addition to the library by 3xNeilsen)...they also designed an elegant bank bldg near the library, also on the river, but it may be difficult to get in without a reservation...

Feb 15, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

ive seen some photos on flickr about these contemporary buildings, like 4 or 5 that overlook the waterfront, their design looks cool and the photos ive seen, seem to have been taken from the river, do you know what these buildings are? how to reach them?
Any one know if its worth buying a mobile phone in these lands where they are made? (nokia)

Feb 15, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Non-architecture things to do in Stockholm:

An afternoon drink at Hotel Lydmar
Some clubbing at Mosebacke, while admiring the view of the city
Coffee at Sosta
Stroll around Djurgarden
Take a boat out in the peninsula

Feb 15, 06 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

also in stockholm...a bit outside of the city..there was a beautiful
garden with a greenhouse off of it that served breakfast and
coffee and such..i wish i knew the name...very quaint as the say
and a nice experience. don't know if it's one of those mentioned
above...

asplund's library and the city hall where the nobel prizes, except
for peace, are given out.

Feb 15, 06 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
tbwells

mauOne - i think the buildings you refer to (the 4 or 5 on the river in Copenhagen) is the Nordea headquaters by Henning Larsens. All of the buildings on the river (on the shore) are accesible from land. There is also the Black Diamond, and Nykredit by Schmidt Hammer Lassen right there as well

www.hlt.dk
www.shl.dk

Feb 15, 06 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks tbwells, SHL, not 3xN as I said before. NyKredit is very elegant, worth trying to get inside of, if you're able to...

Feb 15, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

also, the round tower in copenhagen is pretty great too - great views of the city. and the museum addition by henning larsen is pretty interesting, dont remember which museum it was but it is near tivoli.

Feb 15, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
jakke

At these sites you can find different projects in and around Copenhagen

www.cphx.dk
www.plot.dk
www.louisiana.dk
www.utzon.dk
www.arne-jacobsen.com

Peace yoyo

Feb 15, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
walter_

sorry to eat up the posts...but make sure you go into one of the metro stations, they are beautifully designed, and sit in the front car of the metro!

Feb 15, 06 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

eat them up dude, great tips !

Feb 15, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

In sweden, don't miss the architecture of Sigurd Lewerentz (the woodland cemetery with Asplund is one of the most impressive cemeteries. skogskyrkogården. Check out all the churches by Lewerentz you can. amazing materiality)

In Norway, try to catch a few Carl-Viggo Holmebakk - buildings (haven't seen any on site, but they looked amazing as slides in a lecture he gave in Finland.

In Helsinki.. There's a lot of stuff. How much time do you have? Come over with the ferry from stockholm so you'll experience how much scandinavians appreciate alcohol.

Feb 16, 06 2:40 am  · 
 · 
a-f

larslarson:

Probably you're thinking of the café in the Rosendal garden:

Cozy but expensive!

Feb 16, 06 3:11 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

Copenhagen is full of interesting new architecture. Henning Larsen has also designed an unusual introverted extension for the 'Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek'. And there is a brand new wing for the 'Statens Museum for Kunst'.

Out in the sticks, 200m from Bagsvaerd Station is a super church by Jorn Utzon.

Just across the water from Cpoenhagen, in Malmo, is the eco-experimental community BO1, and Calatrava's "Turning Torso".

Feb 16, 06 8:01 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

And the trip between swed and den should be done across the Bridge (Öresundsbro)

Feb 16, 06 8:34 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

things to do / see in Helsinki ?

Feb 16, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Well, the city is pretty nice (small and has a fairly active center) - lot's of good bars and such (depends of your tastes, of course. It's not NYC.)

Architecture-wise, there's some Aalto buildings in the city and immediate vicinity (the University of Technology, the Academic Bookstore, Finlandia Hall, Aalto's house and studio,...)

Older stuff: the Eliel Saarinen's Railway station - jugend/moderne, the old Eira (an area of mansions by the sea, almost in the centre also), the "empire" style central square, the fishmarket by the sea, Suomenlinna (a fortified island just outside Helsinki - great picnic place in the summer).

Newer stuff: Kiasma by Steven Holl, a good amount of new very sharp office buildings, the church of the rock (a church buried in a cliff, with a low beatiful dome. done in the 60's I think)... can't really think of awesome new stuff... I'm possibly too critical..

Outside Helsinki there's maybe the best Aalto destinations: Muuratsalo experimental house and Säynätsalo Town Hall (my favourite) - if you have the time, you should visit them both, they are close by each other.

Anyway, if you are coming over, give me a call - I'll be happy to act as a guide for a while.

Feb 16, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

a friend sent me this loong list of firms in norway, all with websites

weeeeee !

http://arkitektur.no/page/Forsiden_detaljer/NAL_meny_horisontalt_forside/8616/8624

Feb 17, 06 10:41 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

aside from art + architecture, i'm a big fan of music and drinking so here's some of my suggestions. in addition to the recommendations of the others posted above, here are my highlights (sorry i have nothing on copenhagen):

stockholm, sverige
i'm a little weak on stockholm suggestions, but i've been dying to check out ooh la la at riche which is apparently a weekly residency by (amongst others) lisa from the concretes. ask ochona to translate if you need help with any of the swedish.

oh, and the other great thing about sweden is the money. unlike america, the different bills are different sizes and the 1,000 kroner note(?) feels nearly as large as a sheet of paper so take a big wallet if you want to be a high roller.

helsinki, suomi
absolutely check out the ateljee bar on the 14th floor of the torni hotel, indoor + outdoor seating with excellent views of the city and be sure to use the bathroom (another great view). a few blocks from the torni is a retro communist chic joint called the cafe moskva (couldn't find a weblink)

oslo, norge
there seem to be museums for everything in norway...even architecture. check out the norskarkitekturmuseet as a compliment to the norberg-schulz's nightlands book i recommended earlier. also take a quick spin through the museet for samtidskunst (contemporary art) before hiking another block east to the highly recommended astrup-fearnley museet (and if they still have the janet cardiff piece that looks like a small theater then you have to try it out - trust me on this one).

if you are into music head to blå - excellent selection of sounds and a delightful venue intimately located on the akerselva river near the hip grünerløkka district. i'd also look into what's playing at rockefeller/john dee closer to downtown oslo.

speaking of grünerløkka, one of my regular bars was called the tea lounge but if you are still a student and find that drinking is expensive in oslo (and you will find that drinking is expensive in oslo) you might want to check out the arkitekturhøgskolen i oslo (oslo school of architecture) where they used to have a sort of happy hour for students every other week with discounted beer sales. if you ask politely and explain that you are a foreign student then i suspect that they would let you participate. even without the happy hour, i'd recommend visiting the school of architecture. it is only a few years old and occupies a former industrial building alongside the akerselva river. also in that neighborhood (slightly to the south of aho) take a look at the former grain silo turned into student residences.

i'd also suggest wandering past the train station (watch out for any remaining heroin zombies) and towards the bjørvika waterfront where snøhetta's new opera house is being built. it is supposed to open in 2008 and should be in a much advanced state of construction since i last saw it in 2004. (hint: post some pics later) there is also a nice little boutique hotel/theater boat parked on the bjørvika waterfront here called the innvik. if they are open, climb aboard and visit the cafe where you can some beer (øl, as the locals call it) and waffles.

ok...that's enough from me

Feb 19, 06 7:58 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just dont kill yerself while yer there...

www.stakes.fi/mentalhealth/suicidesu.htm - 11k

Feb 19, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Bars in helsinki:
The main architect-hangout: Erottaja Baari, on the Erottaja-street in the centre. The above mentioned Ateljé-bar is very nice, as is the bar Moskva (on Eerikinkatu, next to Corona, another nice bar-setting) - Then there's the bar build out of ice (I think it's called uniq, but not sure. never been there.) and the roof terrace of Palace-hotel (a nice funktionalist hotel at the seaside) The hip places to be have for a while been bar Åbo and bar Oujee, on Uudenmaankatu, next to each other. Both have old russian restaurant-interiors.

Feb 19, 06 8:12 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

helsinki i wrote u a private mail dayyyz ago....wassup?

Feb 19, 06 8:13 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

oh. sorry about the delay .. wrote a response just seconds ago (found you message in the dustbin...)

The timing sounds good - I'll be around and the weather won't be as cold as now (a few weeks ago -20 to -25c...)

Feb 19, 06 9:09 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

ive been trying to contact Per Correl, since i will be back in copenhagen for a few days, maybe my email address has been directed to his junkmail folder, anyone know of a better way to contact him?

Mar 16, 06 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Espoo

Hi mauOne

we met last Saturday in the Erottaja bar! I heard you ended up spending the night at Helsinki's place... hope you enjoyed your stay.

I don't know about Per, but good luck with your quest!
Check out the PLOT VM-project!

Mar 16, 06 8:15 am  · 
 · 
sheri25

Hej

http://icehotel.com/ in Sweden.

Mar 16, 06 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
paperboy

Take a train ride from Bergan to Stavanger in Norway. To get back take a boat ride along the coast line. It's just Beautiful.

Mar 17, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
lowryourstds

THERE ARE A COUPLE MUST DO THINGS IN HELSINKI...OF COURSE DO THE ALVAR AALTO DEAL, BESIDES THAT CHECK OUT HEKKINNEN& KOMONNEN MCDONALDS HEADQUARTERS THEN WALK THE LITTLE NEIGHBORHOOD BEHIND IT, ITS A COOL PIECE OF URBAN PLANNING. ALSO YOU MUST SEE KIASMAS THE STEVEN HOLL MUSEUM ITS BY FAR MY FAVORITE MUSEUM EVER. THERE IS ALSO A SYNAGOGUE THAT WAS BUILT INTO HUGE ROCK IN THE GROUND ITS DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE FINNISH HALL BY AALTO AND UP ON TOP OF THE HILL. ALSO CHECK OUT THE WATERFRONT AREA WITH THE FISH MARKET. THERE ARE ALOT OF VERY COOL FURNITURE DESIGN SHOWROOMS AROUND THE CITY AS WELL. THE AIRPORT IS VERY COOL AS WELL.

Mar 17, 06 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Gabe Bergeron

In Helsinki for a few days, starting tonight - wanted to refresh this post to see if there are any new additions or recent work worth checking out. Likewise for interesting places to be, scenes to experience, etc.

Any suggestions welcome! Definately interested in off the beaten path - ideosyncratic suggestions, etc.

Kittos!

Sep 4, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: