Archinect
anchor

Architrave - UF SoA design magazine

Something Steven Ward mentioned on another thread got me thinking...

The students of the UF School of Architecture run an independent design magazine (funded in part by student government via AIAS) by the name of Architrave. The publication is 6 years old or so, originating as a copy paper newsletter, evolving into a full-color bi-annual magazine. Issue #10, given the theme: To Dwell, touches on a variety of provacative subject matter, including the notion that Steven brought up in the above mentioned thread; that stuff is what people identify with, not substance.

If anyone at all is interested in receivng a copy of issue #10 as well as #13, soon to be published by the students currently running the magazine, please EMAIL me your mailing address. If you contact Architrave directly, it may be trickier to get the back issue (#10).

The mags are free and certainly good reading. Once this list is together I will forward it to the new staff and in the early Fall mailings should be made. Thanks for your interest.

AP

Aug 17, 05 11:05 am
evilplatypus

Interesting - Archigram said the same thing in their connected city studies.

Aug 17, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 

count me in plooky!!!!!
I want the censored red copy!! Is it true that you are a bunch of reds?

Aug 17, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
AP

LOL q...

evil - expand?

Aug 17, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 

what issue was it that you gave me the +q. nickname?

Aug 17, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 

the voychisonk issue, just cant remember number

Aug 17, 05 11:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

a little expansion of my own...

the content of Architrave is almost exclusively created by students, whether studio work, theoretical meandering or what have you, although certainly influenced by what we read elsewhere...

Aug 17, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
AP

· 
AP

manipulate

· 

You know, they should create a pdf-virtual edition and put it in the wesite
Talk to the new editor....
Best-Student run magazine, and I aint kidding

Aug 17, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
AP

the new editor is a grad student (think that's a first?) and he has some sort of indirect editing/magazine experience (vague enough?). I'm sure a virtual edition is not too far off. This new guy is bringing a degree of organization and rigor to it that is unprecedented (something that would have been impossible with the likes of you and our buddy J)

Aug 17, 05 11:18 am  · 
 · 

yeah we did have too many "personalities" that year, great product though!!!!

Aug 17, 05 11:20 am  · 
 · 

yeah we did have too many "personalities" that year, great product though!!!! and it was all fun!

Aug 17, 05 11:20 am  · 
 · 
AP

for sure...

Aug 17, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for all of your interest Archinect. I've gotten a ton of replies already!

Aug 17, 05 11:26 am  · 
 · 

"the notion that Steven brought up in the above mentioned thread; that stuff is what people identify with, not substance."

just to clarify. i don't think that people are naturally disposed to identify with stuff over design (or substance). it's just what they learn from exposure.

just like we learned to appreciate zumthor and corb and tschumi (we wouldn't have developed this appreciation naturally), the general public is exposed to 'extreme makeover: home edition' and 'what not to wear' and 'i want that!' and 'house hunters' and all the junk that they see in the sharper image and pottery barn catalogs and that's what they learn to desire.

Aug 17, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
AP

agreed.

the article that made me think of (entitled: "No[mad]: The American Dream" if I remember correctly) states a similar position, that this is a result of what you call "exposure."

thanks for the clarification.

Aug 17, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

The statement about stuff - very Archigramish. They looked at the city as the stuff, people, actions occurring in it and the architecture was mere static backdrop. I havent linked to the site yet - just a mere observence based on the statement above....Remember archigram was really into the throw away stuff and flow of information and ideas.
In fact I recall a statement by Heron I think, it wenrt " when it rains people are more concerned about the rain than the buildings".

Aug 17, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 

I may add too, that Architrave is always looking for submissions!!!
They tried to get a broad range of views on he profession, many times from people outside of it.
I no longer have any connection with them, but Im sure you an e-mai the editor and submit your work/rants/etc....
The more "stuff" the better

Aug 17, 05 11:59 am  · 
 · 
AP

yes, submissions are open to anyone (usually students and young professionals, but not exclusively). check the website for submission details. The new issue (#13) is coming out soon, so the info for #14 should be available soon...

typically there is a theme that feature articles respond to (kinda like JUR). Studio work doesn't need to be theme responsive, and timely yet non-thematic rants are always welcome.

Aug 17, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

I really liked the last one (million pic cover). The current team has big challenge.

Aug 17, 05 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

that collage (the million pic cover) came from a studio project by a fellow archinecter. The various process pieces from the creation of that collage (before it became the cover) were also exhibited in the School of Art and Art History (SAAH) Focus Gallery as part of their Ligature Exhibit.

I'm fairly sure that no other arch project had ever broken that barrier and gained recognition from the SAAH.

If you recall, issue #10 was the first time Architrave published something from the SAAH. We sought out a student who had a great project in the Focus Gallery and he submitted it, and it was subsequently published (yeah that's right, we started the dialogue!).

Since then the magazine's mission statement has evolved to include the SAAH and the College of Fine Arts, in addition to the SoA and the College of Design, Construction and Planning...

Aug 17, 05 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Is Bernie still there? He must be 1000 by now.
That guys still scares the shit out of me. I can
still remember him crushing a friend of mines model and then
looking at him and going "Wadda ya gonna do about it!".

And the smell of the Tipparillos...Yikes!

Aug 17, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, he's retired, and he quit smoking. Actually, the issue that +q mentioned earlier, #9 - manipulate, was dedicated to him during his last semester there. He actually let us use one of his triptych painting series for the cover.

That guy is unforgetable, for sure. I got involved with Architrave largely because of his influence. He didn't recommend it, just brought the fire out of me, and everyone else for that matter.

"Say it another way" BV

Aug 17, 05 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

"Bullshit!!!!!" BV

Aug 17, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
AP

LOL

Aug 17, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
AP

or how about, "I'll buy that"

Aug 17, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
AP

..which is only true if what you do next is freakin' amazing...

Aug 17, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

I got more "Bullshit"'s than "Ill buy that"'s in his class. I carry them like merit badges.....

Aug 17, 05 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Aug 18, 05 1:25 am  · 
 · 
JordantHarris

Are there copies still available? If so I'll e-mail when I get home. I'm at work right now and can't access my mail.

Aug 18, 05 10:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya Jordan, there are some left. Thanks for your interest.

Aug 18, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 
AP

Get 'em while they're hot!

Aug 18, 05 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

did the name of this thread change?

Aug 18, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya

Aug 18, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
AP

sorry if this seems inconsiderate. After Friday I will stop sending it to the top every so often...just want to get the word out...

Aug 18, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Whats inconsiderate?

Aug 18, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
AP

continually sending my ad-style thread to the top of the discussion list to continue to grab attention...and linking it whenever possible from other threads....

Aug 18, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

S P A M M E R

Aug 18, 05 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
AP

:(

Aug 18, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
AP

:(

Aug 18, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

why don't you post it on your blog?

Aug 18, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

well Javier, as I expected, the SchoolBlog entry garnered a whopping two emails of interest, while the discussion forum post worked much better.

Aug 23, 05 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
AP
blog
Aug 23, 05 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Did the magazine reach those who responded to me via email back in August?

I made a mailing list from the responses that I received and sent it to the editor, who assured me that issue #13 would be sent upon completion.

If you got it, great. If issue #10 wasn't included, I'll figure out why and work it out...

Apr 23, 06 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

i got one! not sure what # issue it was. i'll have to check when i get a chance.

thanks, ap. cool publication.

Apr 24, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
AP

cool...probably #13, the latest. glad you like it.

Apr 24, 06 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: