Archinect
anchor

Berkeley MArch without funding?

zomzomzom

Hey all— 

I applied to five MArch programs this year and was somehow only accepted into my first choice, UC Berkeley. I’m excited (and confused, considering even my state school that I graduated with honors from rejected me immediately,) but I didn’t receive any funding from the school and am wondering how realistic it will be to secure a TA/GSI position later in the program. I’m applying for private scholarships and waiting to hear back about FASFA, but am starting to wonder how financially realistic this program will be for me, if I should instead delay a year and hope for better funding outcomes from a wider variety of schools, etc.

I’m low income and none of my family have gone to grad school, and I’m starting to realize it’s not as financially straightforward as I thought it would be. Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. 

May 3, 24 11:43 am
Non Sequitur

What's the tuition + cost of living going to be?

Remember, paying 50-100k for an arch degree is not an investment.  Pay as little as possible so that you're not handicapped by 15+ years of soul crushing debt just for a glorified general art degree from a big-name place.  No one will care.

Nothing wrong with waiting another year and apply elsewhere hoping for a cheaper option.  Let the clueless fools pay full price. 

May 3, 24 12:07 pm  · 
1  · 

Adding to this - take a look at what the average starting pay is in the area(s) you want to work in. The national average for a first year architectural graduate is $43k but can vary depending on you location. Keep that in mind when taking on student loan debt.

May 3, 24 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Based on my experience at another UC, you'll be able to get in-state tuition after your first year, which reduces the cost quite a lot. Still, living expenses are major. TA positions are somewhat limited for MArch programs, but you'll certainly be able to find a job on campus if you want to. I've worked in the shop and in the library, both great things to do that aren't teaching. 

I think it might be more important to consider where you'd like to work and live following graduation. Regardless of prestige, your local network and familiarity is critical when finding a job (that you like). Do you want to do that in the bay area?

May 3, 24 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jay1122

If I am not mistaken, there are very few financial supports from FAFSA for master degree since it is considered an optional degree unlike undergrad.1 year out of state tuition, 2 year in state tuition, room and boards and other expenses. Probably looking at $100K. What undergrad degree do you currently have? If non-arch, then you have no choice. Deferring a year probably won't change much. If you have unaccredited Bs Arch, it is a maybe. If you have accredited Barch, not really worth the $100K unless family has money. As for working during school, don't forget Arch school is VERY demanding. It will take your time and energy away from the course further. You need good work and portfolio after you graduate to secure jobs. 

May 3, 24 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: