Archinect
anchor

3D scanning to BIM

Jcbbagley

Does anyone have experience in 3D modeling from point clouds?

Just curious about the process that goes into this and also the software used. I was approached a few weeks ago by my boss about researching more into this topic. My company owns a Faro 3D laser scanner and are currently trying to get into the scan to BIM market. 

I've been messing around with pointclouds in REVIT, just to get a feel for what we are trying to accomplish. I would really appreciate any help with this topic, or if anyone could point me in any direction as to where I should look for more information on this topic. 

May 16, 14 3:19 pm
boy in a well

scan to bim of what?

does it need bim?

that silence you're hearing is probably people not wanting to share hard-won workfows.

I get kicked out of the club just saying that.

you owe me.

May 17, 14 1:57 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Alot of people are getting in this game and everyone I know whose in it taught themselves.

May 17, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

I would direct you to revitforum.org

May 17, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

screenshot your stuff and describe over all purposes, i'm down to learn anything on this.

there's a 3d Scanner out there made in Australia or NZ and then going to go to market in UK this year I think, can't remember name, but basically in say 20 minutes of walking you scan a couple thousand square feet of a building - all point clouds etc...

May 17, 14 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

scan what to BIM?  a detail you come across in a cool building? :D

May 17, 14 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

connect the dots brainiacs...

May 17, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

olaf you douche you mean

zeebedee ???

May 17, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

fuck you Teeter!

May 17, 14 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
LethalMonk6

My office has used a 3d laser scanning company to get existing conditions and site surveys. The point cloud data is in full color as well and is accurate to 3mm. It's really cool stuff.

http://www.existingconditions.com/expertise/do/scanning/#third

May 18, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

What do you need to know? This is my specialty so ask away or alternatively visit us at www.laserscanningforum.com.

Sep 9, 15 4:26 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Do you human-bot interfaces use some sort of keyword search to locate the people you wish to annoy into avoiding your products?

Here's a thought, DON'T ANNOY POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.

Speaking for myself, I will work to get my large firm to AVOID using any crap that spams based on keyword searches, such as the numerous examples above.

Nice anti-marketing, at least I know which fly-by-night garbage to avoid.

Sep 9, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Bobby Lin

Hi! I have experience in 3d modelling from Point clouds. 3d modelling and printing are my specialties. Just shoot me a message if you have any more questions. 

Sep 9, 15 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VxGScdh0lz8

Sep 13, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Just realised this is now old.

May 23, 16 5:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: