Archinect
anchor

2011 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

own1221

@addyg85 - indeed it is! I've met up with a previous Cornell graduate recently, who did the same degree and also graduated from my current university, when he did the M.Arch in 2007 they had the NYC semester at the end, so if I understand it correctly: they started in fall -> spring -> and had summer in NYC.

Apr 23, 11 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
aag2022

@ arfaei

I wouldn't wait on Umich. They overshot their numbers, and are over even assuming people drop out before starting in the fall. I doubt they'll be pulling anyone off the waitlist. 

Apr 24, 11 1:52 am  · 
 · 
Arfaei

@aag2022

Thank you,I will pay the Pratt deposit now.Its Pratt for me.If I got into Umich (not so possible)  the 500$ is a price to pay :)

Apr 24, 11 7:05 am  · 
 · 
adityaghosh13

@own1221, I know two guys from my college who have attended this program, a year apart, in the last two years, so hopefully will take pointers from them. Where are you from? I am trying to get something cheaper than the accommodation Cornell is recommending....

Apr 24, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
own1221

@addyg85 I'm from Auckland, New Zealand - which is mostly why I've decided to go with their recommended accommodation and live at IHouse. In regards to Ithaca housing, I'm still waiting on confirmation for the Hasbrouck Apartments - have you sorted out Ithaca housing?

*Sidenote* is it possible to message someone on Archinect 3.0?

Apr 24, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@ukchomper - congrats on getting in at Syracuse!  I also got in, but then got into Cornell as well, and really wanted that instead, so it is Ithaca for me.  Good luck on UPenn's wait list - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Apr 24, 11 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
maryagnes

@own1221 - am also waiting on confirmation for Hasbrouck apts.  Am not too thrilled about having to attempt to fit my family of four into those small apts., but it beats home-searching from California (since I can't afford a trip prior to moving just to look for housing).  When did you apply?  Am curious how long it should take to hear back from them...

Good question regarding messaging members - you can no longer click on users' screen names to go to their profile.  What are we to do now?

Apr 24, 11 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
adityaghosh13

@own1221, I am from New Delhi, India. I have a few friends who are helping me find places in NY, and the same for Ithaca. But am keeping all options open.

Apr 25, 11 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
own1221

@maryagnes - thanks for the reply, I hope housing response is given out soon!

@addyg85 - it's great to have friends there already! - One thing I am trying to sort out now is the health insurance - Cornell's recommended plan is $1900 for one year!! - consequently I'm trying to find something less expensive .. is at all possible?

- I'll risk it and post my email here: http://tinypaste.com/f3c1c - please feel free to contact me!

Apr 25, 11 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
tbone

@own1221

That is $158 a month for health insurance...not bad actually, most people pay around $300/month.  You probably won't find much if anything better than that.  Welcome the USA.  Sucks huh?

Apr 26, 11 12:13 am  · 
 · 
own1221

@tbone - wow!! to hear that $158 a month for health insurance is considered cheap .. I just did a quick search on health insurance in New Zealand - it's roughly $30 for standard health insurance. Critically, the fact that the Cornell plan doesn't take into account the age or the lifestyle of the insuree (smoker etc) is quite strange?

Apr 26, 11 6:54 am  · 
 · 
tbhatia

hi,

does anyone know where i can find funding to attend M Arch program at Syracuse this fall - I am an international student looking to go back to school this fall. . .

living/working in bahrain - indian by origin . .. 

would appreciate any help!! 

thanx

Apr 27, 11 4:45 am  · 
 · 
Sananda

Cornell is still mum.....:((((

Apr 27, 11 6:12 am  · 
 · 
ukchomper

@tbhatia - are you in at cuse? - i may be attending and the only thing they told me to do was request scholarship money when you accept. After you find out that, email the main grad office and ask what kinds of other scholarships you can apply for. So far I am waiting for them to get back to me with the class size, then they told me they would get back to everyoen regarding how much they would give each person...

Apr 27, 11 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
tbhatia

@ukchomper - I have been accepted but I am in the same position as you - waiting to know what kind of scholarship they are gonna give me depending on class size and etc. . .where r u you from??

Apr 28, 11 3:08 am  · 
 · 
tbhatia

and btw ukchomper - i was talking about external funding/scholarship :)

Apr 28, 11 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
ukchomper

ohh don't know much about them, I am from Pennsylvania, US

Apr 29, 11 12:05 am  · 
 · 
tbhatia

ahh rite ok - well i was just exploring any options i had. . .i may be attending this fall. . .im actually dying to go but lets see how it goes. . .lol

Apr 29, 11 4:23 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but does anyone know what is going on at UCLA? Still no news, and the woman who answers the phone seems completely uninformed. I had given up hope on these guys a while back, but I can't figure out what could possibly be taking this long.

May 3, 11 3:03 am  · 
 · 
chyinadoll

@jason - I called late last week and was told they would have an answer "soon" for those of us still waiting to hear back from them regarding fall admission.  It's going on 5 months now.....

May 3, 11 11:48 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

Five weeks ago they said we'd know by the end of the following week, and every week since then they have been saying "soon." Some people claimed to have been wait listed, so I can't think that bodes well for the rest of us who haven't heard a thing. Have any 3 year applicants even been rejected yet? I can't figure why they'd wait so long to just to send rejections though. It's hard not to over analyze it. ....just keep waiting, I guess.

May 3, 11 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
tbone

jason_sf

I was rejected.  However, I had to give SCI-Arc my answer by a certain day, so called UCLA and really pushed that they tell me one way or the other so I could give the proper decision to SCI-Arc in time.  I got the rejection email the following day.  The lady I talked to was helpful, she told me that they were going through applications daily and would be done by the end of the first week of April, but I needed to know before then.

I think it is completely unprofessional that people do not know yet from UCLA.  WTF are the up to over there? 

May 3, 11 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
chyinadoll

I think UCLA's admission process is just ridiculous and cruel.  I wonder how many other people are sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting to hear back from them one way or another.  I paid for the Jump Start program and need to know if I should quit my job or not to go back to school.  I'm a hopeful M Arch I (3 yr) student and going by the grad cafe there have been a number of acceptances/denials since March.  I suppose I'll sit here and twiddle a little longer!  :(

May 4, 11 10:55 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@tbone

sorry about ucla, but congrats on sci-arc! I also thought about calling ucla a couple weeks ago to pester them about making a decision, but was nervous that might just give them an easy way to dismiss me outright. probably just being superstitious though.

@chyinadoll

your thumbs must be pretty darn strong by now! seems like they don't really care about how much this decision impacts people's lives. I've been pessimistically waiting for a rejection, but I can't seem to shake a small part of me that thinks I might still have a chance. If I get it, I will be shocked and happy and probably would not have minded the wait after all. If not, I am going to be wondering why the hell it took them five months to realize that I'm no good. Either way, I'll be relieved when it's over. 

May 5, 11 4:05 am  · 
 · 
Maryamsa

I am an international student in SUNY at Buffalo (2 year master's) but I had an acceptance in Northeastern university (Boston) that I deferred to Fall 2011. I am thinking about transferring to NEU now but I am not sure if the school and program is better? 

does anybody know about NEU? any advice about its reputation and the quality of program would be helpful (in comparison to UB)

May 8, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
||||

WTF. A month since the notification deadline and UCLA still hasnt gotten their shit together. Is this a joke? Could care less about the decision. Really just want my application fee refunded. Going to GSAPP!!!

May 13, 11 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

@ IIII

A friend of mine who is in the same boat as you is actually trying to get his application fee refunded, but so far UCLA has been unresponsive (no big surprise there). He has a theory that their program is actually a complex hoax, complete with an elaborate Hollywood set and an animatronic Thom Mayne, aimed at claiming the application fees of unsuspecting fools. Anyone who says otherwise is in on the scheme.    

I think he may be onto something.

I'm not looking forward to another week of silence from them.

May 16, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
AmeliaP

rejected from 4, still waiting on parsons...got an email tuesday that i was still under review.  not holding my breath!  BETTER LUCK NEXT YEAR KID!

May 24, 11 11:13 am  · 
 · 
hillchip2010

whatever school is fine..Rezepte

May 28, 11 3:43 am  · 
 · 
chyinadoll

Has anyone heard from ucla yet regarding m arch 1? Ugh, can this be anymore painful??

Jun 7, 11 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
jason_sf

hey chyinadoll,

I still have not heard anything from UCLA either. I called them several weeks ago, and a woman named Nam told me that we should hear sometime in early June. Frustrated by that answer after months of the same kind of vagueness, I told her that at this point I just needed to know if I had any hope of still getting in so I can figure out what I am doing with the next year of my life. I told her that I assumed that I hadn't gotten in, and didn't mind her confirming that with me over the phone instead of drawing this out any further. She then looked up my name and told me that I had been rejected in the first round of reviews. However, the department has a policy to require two rejections before they are allowed to officially reject an applicant. According to her, I was still waiting for that second review. I then asked her if that basically meant that I wouldn't get in, and she declined to answer but agreed with me that my chances didn't look good. I imagine that others who have not heard are in the same situation as me.

Based on the long wait and that conversation, I've assumed that I am out and started to think of how I am going to improve my application and expand which programs I apply to next time. I don't want to give up, but this year has proven to me just how competitive and tough it is to get into a decent M. Arch program. Time to step up my game I guess.

I don't want to discourage you or anyone else who still hasn't heard yet though. It's not over until it's over, so perhaps there's still hope and your situation may be different from mine. I suggest you give them a call and see what they can tell you...or just keep waiting.

Jun 8, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
chyinadoll

Hi Jason - I'm enrolled in the Jumpstart program that starts on the 20th so if I don't hear something by then I will make a trip in person to see the status.  I think it is completely unprofessional of them to drag this process out (can we say beating the dead horse?) because people have lives and need to plan for their future.  I'm very frustrated but still hopeful (a little bit) that something good will come from this wait.  I called and emailed a few times but didn't want to stalk them and put myself out of the game because I annoyed them.  I wish you the best of luck and who knows, we may be in class together in the fall.  :)

Jun 8, 11 1:30 am  · 
 · 
jason_sf

I finally got my rejection from UCLA. I would say that it's unbelievable that it took so long if I hadn't stop believing in my chances at that school a long time ago :(

I am hoping that they at least let somebody in after making us wait so long. Best of luck to those still waiting.

Jun 27, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
kyuen87

monosierra--glad to see some who is entering arch. from a nonrelated degree! I have my Bs in psychology

Jun 29, 11 4:05 am  · 
 · 

bump

Mar 21, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: