Archinect
anchor

Americans working in the UK

nikola

In light of the recent election, I'm thinking of fleeing. How is work in the UK? Is it extremely difficult to obtain a visa to work there?

Thanks.

Nov 4, 04 1:19 pm
grace kim

Yes it is. If you are interested in legally getting work.

I've written (with the help of many friends that have actually worked abroad in many countries) a chapter for my intern's survivial guide on this topic. But since you can't wait for publication (anticipated late 2005/early 2006), here's a quick tip if you are not yet a registered architect.

Look into the Training and Work Experience permit
And get the book "Working and Living in Britain", it's also a "survival guide" and describes this process.

If you are licensed...get in queue...there are lots of architects looking for work there. Your best bet is to try looking for opportunities with American firms w/ UK offices.

Good luck!

Nov 7, 04 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

The rules on foreigners registering to practice architecture in the UK are due to be re-written to make the process of registration more robust (onerous).

I’ll find out more details but in the mean time contact www.arb.org.uk

Nov 9, 04 11:21 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

reasearch has uncovered this article in Building Design (UK) for week ending Nov 5_04.

Non-EU architects this week reacted with horror to a move by the Architects Registration Board that will make it far harder and more expensive for them to get their qualifications recognised in the UK.

From last Friday, the price of getting non-EU part land part II equivalent qualifications recognised so that candidates can take a part III course in the UK shot up from £395 to nearly £1,996.

Some claimed they had not been informed of the sudden rise, j which was agreed by the ARB board in September.
As foreign architects who want to practice in the UK. We are held to ransom by whatever fees ARB decides to charge for this recognition,” said an applicant
who did not wish to be named.

ARB head of education John Lovett told BD this week that the cost had been increased to pay for a more “rigorous” examination for the 300 or so candidates that apply each year He expected fewer people to apply for recognition but said they should achieve a higher pass rate than the current 60/70%.

The 45-minute interview has been doubled so that candidates have more time to present their portfolios and examiners can be sure it is their own work. Independent examiners have also been brought in to observe.

“It has been difficult for examiners to come up with a robust decision, so we looked at quality assurance, but it means increased time and cost Lovett said.

The RIBA said it was so concerned by the price hike it was considering withdrawing its participation in the ARB assessment panel. “The price rise is unjustifiable, especially for students from developing countries,’ said RIBA director of education Leonie Milliner. “It must be possible to run these assessments in a more cost-effective way.”

ARB said the previous fees had not covered the cost of the exam. The board agreed that the exam should now pay for itself and not use cash from retention fees. Lovett said ARB had written to architecture schools and information was now on its website.

The ARB is overeaching its leagal obligation of registration by interfereing with aspects of Architecture and Eduacation that have been the core of the RIBA. One for another post I think.

Nov 11, 04 11:38 am  · 
 · 
weave

i had a friend who moved to london after grad school in hopes of getting a job/visa, but every firm he interviewed at told him "why should we hire/sponser an american when we can hire a brit?"...
it worked out fine for me cuz i had a free place to stay in london, but he spent a good 6+ months looking for a job.

that was 4 years ago, though...

Nov 11, 04 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: