Archinect
anchor

Salary over Time

3tk

It sounds like a great job, take it.  If you need a degree to get licensed, then there are online degrees that are accredited.  In terms of networks, you can build those by attending lectures / weekend symposia, etc.  By not being tied into an architecture school, you may find yourself more able to network with people in other fields through professional interest groups (USGBC, LBC, CSI, etc).

Debt is serious, there may be the option to defer to at least think about it for another year while you work too - that way you may put yourself in a positions to say 'I'd love to be able to study, but make it worth my while and give me some $'.

May 5, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
pale shelter

7 years for an architecture degree is completely bogus... What are we teaching that's so damn important? We're not doctors!! lol Just for the goal in mind of being qualified in order to become licensed .. paying 3 years to screw around after already going to school for the ample/proper amount of college time (4 years!)..Why there are not 4 year programs that are accredited for licensure is beyond me.

That 3 extra years of school will not even teach anything that prepares you for the exams ... that's a whole learning / self-education / work-experience process of its own.

May 5, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
zxy_lab

Pale shelter- this is the first time I actually sit down and calculate all contributing variables and I am completely astonished at the figure I generated!! In addition, when I factor in Volunteer’s suggestion about the 401K deposits compounded over time + the student loan’s interest accrued over time. We are talking about ++300K potentially more….YIKES!!! Not calculated in this figure is the immeasurable value of my potential professional advancement, networking and experience gained during those 3 years as you all mentioned.

What happens the day after tomorrow, if I decide I want to establish my own firm, I do not want to be put in a position where I am restricted because I am not licensed. The last thing I want to do is limit myself. But pale shelter’s testimony really put things in perspective for me. All the previous unlicensed principles he has meet during his career is astonishing in a way. But even with just a BA in Architecture I can still obtain my license with 4 years of experience in my state (from my understanding). You need a combination of 8 years between education and work experience, no matter the degree. Ex: [4 yrs. BA Arch. + 4 yrs. Work experience] or [5 yrs. BArch. + 3 yrs. work experience] or [6 yrs. Master + 2 yrs. Of work experience] or [8 yrs of work experience + 0 Education]

Cajunarch- I agree with you 110%!! I just needed some of my fellow peers to reassure my decision. I feel more confident in my decision to accept this offer. As a matter of fact I already accepted the offer and will start in two week. I feel good about this.

Won and done – I really enjoyed reading your post, it spoke to me in a peculiar tone (mainly your second paragraph). Really appreciate your wise words!! Very necessary to live a wholesome life!

3tk – Yeah, I really need to look into this and should contact the admissions department and see if maybe they will offer me some money to attend their program….something to consider for next year….it will depend on how things are going for me.

I appreciate everyone's genuine advise and encouragement to accept the firm's offer. Not one person persuade me to enroll in the MArch program.....that is such a vehement statement!! This site can be very powerful when used properly....Much obliged Archinect you guys just saved me 300K!!! 

May 6, 14 3:21 am  · 
 · 
3tk

we'll be waiting for a check in the mail :)

May 6, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

1998: $10/h

2001:$14/h

2005: $40k

2008: $70k

2011: $30k

2014: $90k

Dip towards the end could be contributed to the recession, but closer analysis reveals dip correlation to me being active on Archinect.. 

May 6, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: