Archinect
anchor

Philosophical Thread - Favorite Quotes

sanguebom

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Chuck Palahniuk

May 4, 10 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

“We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.” - Anais Nin

May 4, 10 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Less is more work - Rick Joy

Leap and the net will appear - Zen saying

In your child's life, your love for them is the sky. Everything else is just weather - unknown

It's 5 o'clock somewhere - I'm afraid that's Jimmy Buffett, but I still like it.

May 4, 10 11:33 pm  · 
 · 

And now a long one, for real:

There are valued times in almost everyone's experience when the world is perceived afresh: perhaps after a rain when the sun glistens on the streets and windows catch a departing cloud, or, alone, when one sees again the roundness of an apple. At these times our perceptions are not at all sentimental. They are, rather, matter of fact, neutral, and undesiring - yet suffused with an unreasoned joy at the simple correspondence of appearance and reality, at the evident rightness of things as they are. It is as though the sound and feel of a new car door closing with a kerchunk! were magnified and extended to dwell in the look, sound, smell, and feel of all things.

The world becomes singularly meaningful, without becoming "symbolical". Objects and colors do not point to other realms, signs say what they have to and fall silent. ... We are not conscious (" Ah, this means that...") of reference, allusion, or instruction. These processes become transparent as their material carriers either disappear, like words, or, like bells and old trees, collapse upon themselves to become crisp and real and, somehow, more the things they are.

Such experiences, such privileged moments, can be profoundly moving; and precisely from such moments, I believe, we build our best and necessary sense of an independent yet meaningful reality. I should like to call them direct esthetic experiences of the real and to suggest the following: in our media-saturated times it falls to architecture to have the direct esthetic experience of the real at the center of its concerns.

Michael Benedikt, For An Architecture Of Reality

May 4, 10 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
m.i.a.

"Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting." - Christopher Morley

May 7, 10 6:21 am  · 
 · 
Endooo

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

-Dr. Seuss

May 7, 10 11:22 am  · 
 · 
jcr

"First revision it is 100% better, second revision 50% better, third 25%, fourth 12.5%; it's the law of diminishing returns."

May 7, 10 11:45 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

"Come on, stink!" -Loudon Wainwright III

May 7, 10 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

...nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands

e.e. cummings

May 9, 10 5:45 am  · 
 · 
randomized
Every disadvantage has its advantage

or Every advantage has its disadvantage

Johan Cruijff

May 9, 10 5:51 am  · 
 · 
go do it

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

May 9, 10 11:31 am  · 
 · 

“Everything in excess is opposed to nature.” – Hippocrates

May 9, 10 11:43 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

god is dead

May 9, 10 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"
-Gandhi

May 10, 10 12:38 am  · 
 · 
sanguebom

“I’m the worst fellow I’ve ever met.” - Helio Gracie

May 10, 10 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Ghandi

May 10, 10 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

"People in fact do not in general have access to absolute knowledge of reality, but in fact only have access to a set of beliefs they have built up over time, about reality. So it is considered important to be aware that people's beliefs about reality and their awareness of things are not reality itself."

Alfred Korzybski

May 10, 10 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

May 10, 10 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
Kahlil Gibran

May 10, 10 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

eke i like that one

May 10, 10 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

“Remember that the pyramids were modern architecture at one time.”
me

May 11, 10 3:11 am  · 
 · 
suweiyin

Struggle is good.
John M. Sullivan

May 11, 10 4:56 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

"eke i like that one"

Glad you liked it, Blackharp. Korzybski was the man.

Here's another (which says basically the same thing):

"The map is not the territory"
Alfred Korzybski

May 11, 10 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

"When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson

May 11, 10 11:42 am  · 
 · 
go do it

"sometimes i think its a sin when i feel like i am winning when i am losing again"
gorden lightfoot

May 17, 10 1:38 am  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

"Don't create a problem in order to solve it"

May 18, 10 12:37 am  · 
 · 
PostDepot

"Go fuck yourself!"
"No! You go fuck yourself!"
"Asshole!"
Third party:
"C'mon guys"

End of philosophical moment....

May 18, 10 1:06 am  · 
 · 
metal

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

Friedrich Nietzsche

May 18, 10 1:28 am  · 
 · 
metal

"With me and Sam, it’s not a matter of if she wants to hook up with me; it’s a matter of just when I decide."

The Situation

May 18, 10 1:29 am  · 
 · 
go do it

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein

May 19, 10 2:10 am  · 
 · 
zen maker

"They come, they fight, they destroy, they corrupt, it always ends the same"

MIB

May 19, 10 2:27 am  · 
 · 
db

"The job to be done in philosophy -- as often in architecture -- is really more a job on one's self. On how one sees things. And what one demands from them"
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein

May 19, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

“Freedom lies in being bold.” - Robert Frost

May 20, 10 12:24 am  · 
 · 
galaxiz

"In God we trust, all others must pay cash."
Chinese fortune cookie

May 20, 10 2:07 am  · 
 · 
lokendersingh

Hey guys looking for an app with all your favorite quotes by all your favorite philosophers, then download my app from Google playstore.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/...

Thanks.

Jun 21, 18 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Wherever you go, there you are.

-- Buckaroo Banzaie

Jun 21, 18 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
vinceroldz

"An architect knows something about everything. An engineer knows everything about one thing"

Jun 11, 19 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Finjohn

“Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.” ~ Bruce Lee 

Jun 11, 19 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: