Archinect
anchor

"personal use" discounts for architects

fqb

I am trying to compile a list of companies that offer "personal use" discounts to architects. If any of us remodels or builds, that is really helpful......
here are some starters:

Thermador (50% 0ff) expires 6/30/2010

Velux, 40% off, max discount $2000 every two years each for your office and home

Caesarstone, unconfirmed, $1000 per slab

Herman Miller, unconfirmed, through rep, 52% off

something you have to add? Any experience with Kitchen builders like bulthaup etc?

Apr 15, 10 4:08 pm
archie

Nearly every commercial furniture and lighting company, plus mainstream vendors such as Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Ballard Design, Pier 1, Lamps Plus, etc. 105 is a minimum off that you will get.

Apr 15, 10 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
fqb

interesting, did you go that route and what percentages did you get?

thanks

Apr 15, 10 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
grid

just google "designer discount" with whatever company you are interested in.

Apr 15, 10 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

knoll... most offer designer discount. some require a tax ID though.

Apr 16, 10 12:50 am  · 
 · 
outed

i'll throw out a few we've gotten over the years:

bulthaup - not much right now. at best, 10%. the thing to watch for them is when they remodel a showroom - they generally sell the existing show kitchens for a substantial (and in some cases very substantial) discount. i walked away with a 5'x5'high island 'block' a few years ago, with a warming tray and a brand new 4k+ gaggenau oven for 400.

knoll and herman miller won't do direct discounts. their local reps will - you just have to push hard. hm - we've gotten a standard 40 off, but could push a bit more. knoll - 30-40 off depending on the piece. also, the more your company specs their products, the more love they're going to show.

we bought a few humanscale chairs when we last moved - the liberty ones. 80% off list. we went directly through them.

home depot will let you set up a contractor's account, which would give 10% off.

miele and gaggenau both have generous discounts - roughly 50% the last time i checked.

really, a lot depends on the item you're looking for. if it's super new/super expensive, the less the discount. if it's a stock eames plywood chair or aeron, you're much more likely to get something better.

Apr 16, 10 8:27 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Pella Windows = 40%

Schluter Systems Products = 40% (per local rep)

Local paint retailer gives me almost 50% off of any TK Product paints - Benjamin Moore, etc.

Apr 16, 10 8:33 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

archie - how do you get the discount at a mainstream vendor like Crate and Barrel? With the $$$ my wife spends there we could save quite a bit.

Apr 16, 10 8:41 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

aqua, not only will you need to provide a tax id, you might need to bring your interior designer. I tried at Restoration Hardware and a designer tile place. At both, the sales rep said I didn't qualify because I was an architect, not an interior designer. I assured them I worked alongside interior designers and have specified my fair share of tile, faucets and light fixtures. They said I should bring one of the interior designers with me to make the purchase. I decided against the purchases for other reasons, so didn't pursue.

Apr 16, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

aqua, not only will you need to provide a tax id, you might need to bring your interior designer. I tried at Restoration Hardware and a designer tile place. At both, the sales rep said I didn't qualify because I was an architect, not an interior designer. I assured them I worked alongside interior designers and have specified my fair share of tile, faucets and light fixtures. They said I should bring one of the interior designers with me to make the purchase. I decided against the purchases for other reasons, so didn't pursue.

Apr 16, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
crave

I was trying to get a discount on expanko brand cork flooring and the most the rep would give up was about 20%...guess I'll be going to lumber liquidators!

Apr 16, 10 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: