Archinect
anchor

Foreign Language for architect

Jazzefina

While waiting for acceptance from M.ARCH programms, I'm going to start learning new foreign language this semester but I don't knoiw which one should I choose. I know English ( is not my mother language) and German and I think I should learn Italian\Arabic\French. Which language is more useful for us architects professionally?
Or do you think I'd better focus on learning and improving my CAD and 3D software skills?

Jan 22, 10 6:16 am
AquillatheNun

learn portuguese! the world cup is coming up the olympics are there in 2016 and you are gonna wanna be working there when that shit hits the fan

improve your cad and 3d skills as well cause there is always some up and coming that wants to do it better than you and is at this very moment staring with bloodshot eyes at a computer screen who wants to take your crown and steal your thunder

or you could just kick back, relax and actually not worry about any of that shit and just go to rio and drink tequila on the beach and learn portuguese from some beautiful chiquita in a bikini

Jan 23, 10 5:25 am  · 
 · 
Jazzefina

Thanks for the advice)
I believe brazilian portuguese is a good idea, but I'm afraid I won't be able to learn it from some beautiful chiquita in a bikini, because I'm a chiquita myself)))

Jan 23, 10 5:58 am  · 
 · 
AquillatheNun

well... LOL you never know they seem to be a pretty friendly people

reverse that then: you could learn it from some dude in leopard print banana hammock

Jan 23, 10 6:03 am  · 
 · 

the most useful language as a professional architect in the united states will be spanish as it will allow you to talk directly to many of the laborers on construction sites if necessary... as an academic architect, some combination of english/french/german/italian is the most useful.

Jan 23, 10 8:14 am  · 
 · 
Hawkin

Absolutely no for Arabic.

It's a very hard language (on par with Chinese). The difference (with China) is that in any construction process in the Middle East there are plenty of people who don't speak a word of Arabic (from the Western architect to the Pakistanese Labourer or the Chinese supplier). English is lingua franca.

Jan 23, 10 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Mandarin. Might as well learn it now so your prepared when China takes over the US.

Jan 23, 10 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

yeah.. I don't think you can go wrong by learning Mandarin. It's always good to be to able to speak the language of one's future colonial masters. Unfortunately, I suck at languages.

Jan 23, 10 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
rev1

scrap learning a new language you are already ahead of the game knowing 2. Most international firms speech english in their offices, i would focus on improving your design skills and 3d modeling.

Jan 25, 10 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Arch Technician

I gotta agree with some of the earlier posters...Mandarin. I'm from Ireland, moved to China in 2004, set up an Architecture Studio and been doing very good since. That way you can add it to your CV and who knows maybe land a job at a firm at SOM Shanghai branch.

Jan 26, 10 12:36 am  · 
 · 
galaxiz

My experience here in China is that you don't necessarily "need" to speak Mandarin in order to work in the design field, but it definitely comes in handy at times, and you can be chummy with local clients easier.

Jan 26, 10 9:56 am  · 
 · 
living a life in america

AquillatheNun:
I'm glad you suggested Portuguese as a language worth learning...but in Brazil, we drink "Cachaça" (Portuguese pronunciation: [kaˈʃasɐ]), not tequila. I believe you have your Latin American countries mixed up. :)

This reminds me of that scene in James Bond movie from 1979: 007 is in Rio surrounded by Brazilians with sombreros (giant Mexican hats) speaking Spanish to each other.

Jan 26, 10 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Kamu Kakizaki

take on a language (equals people, culture, region etc) that interests you 'architecturally'. would love to learn danish, even though it'd probably not be necessary since most professionals speak english. but i love what is going on over there.

Jan 26, 10 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Caryatid15

Mandarin is always a good option.

Jan 27, 10 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Keep english, but get a New Zealand accent:

"According to a BBC poll, Brits find the Kiwi accent the most charming and prestigious outside of Britain and they prefer a New Zealand accent over the Queen's English."

http://travel.msn.co.nz/destinations/newzealand/874995/brits-prefer-a-kiwi-accent-to-the-queens

Jan 27, 10 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

What does everyone think about Japanese? I'll be graduating high school at the end of this semester and also know a fair amount of French– Japanese is something I just started for other reasons but I'm curious as to how it could help in architecture (if at all).

Jan 27, 10 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: