Archinect
anchor

HxW or WxH

hankd

Which is correct when specifying the size of a 2D artwork? Height x Width, or Width x Height?

I'm guessing it's HxW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mona_Lisa, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Birth_of_Venus_(Botticelli)

Also ... testing, testing (because threads I create don't seem to appear on the front page anymore for some reason).

Dec 4, 09 3:07 am
NLW2

the standard for three dimensions is HxWxD, which leads me to believe it's HxW.

Dec 4, 09 3:55 am  · 
 · 
hankd

But wait ... on Windows Vista when you view the size dimensions of an image file (e.g. right-click --> properties --> details --> image --> dimensions), it seems to display the size as WxH. This is on Windows Vista.

I'm guessing I should just use HxW anyway.

Dec 6, 09 3:32 am  · 
1  · 
SDR
http://www.artbizblog.com/2009/10/creditartwork.html

Funny -- I would have thought width x height. . .

Dec 6, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
binary

always think XxYxZ (z=depth)

Dec 6, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Right -- depth (the third dimension) would make sense to come last, in any event.

In wood, we call the width (across the grain) first -- a sheet of plywood is 4 x 8, not 8 x 4 -- unless in fact the grain direction is reversed (you can get 1/8" bending poplar either way).

Dec 6, 09 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
passerby1ce

I always thought it was H first then W. I'm just basing that on 2D things like photos and paintings. for example an 8 x 10 photograph is in landscape format. And every painting I know is based on that.

Dec 6, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

So -- it looks pretty unanimous.

Dec 6, 09 9:21 pm  · 
1  · 
beau

So does this still apply to 

1209.1 Crawl spaces. Crawl spaces shall be provided with a
minimum of one access opening not less than 18 inches by 24
inches

Here in the office we just had a discussion about the height of the crawl space...I say 24" high the others say it makes no sense and is 18".

Jan 26, 12 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
suvosk

Xxn

Dec 7, 19 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
ravikumarsingh

उन्होंने कहा कि इस तरह की घटनाओं को रोकने के लिए सरकार ने कई कदम उठाए हैं।

Jan 18, 21 4:30 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Reanimated thread but interesting topic. A pet peeve of mine is when it's not specified, but matters, since there does not seem to be a standard. Paper can be 8 1/2 x 11 (WxH) or 24 x 36 (HxW), typically. With 3-D products I have not seen a standard, and when reading product specs, things like length, width and depth can refer to almost any direction. 

Jan 18, 21 9:43 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I think paper is just Short x Long.

Jan 18, 21 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

I think you're right, Pete. And I don't know if anybody else has noted this, but for non-paper dimensions, it should be width x height, because the X axis is prior to the Y axis, alphabetically. (X)x(Y)

Jan 23, 21 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Tradition has it that it's Length, then Width, then Height.

Since this is 2D artwork, then height doesn't apply.

Same with dates; is it DD/MM/YR or MM/DD/YR or YR/MM/DD...?

Jan 18, 21 10:16 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

yyyy/mm/dd is the official Canadian format dates and is less likely to cause confusion. The M.erican way is just silly. I've always shown height as last when listing dimensions.

Jan 18, 21 10:33 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

What about the American date causes confusion? Oh, right, when you don't use it and don't expect it. Not much else. :P

Jan 18, 21 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Because it does not use logical scales... ie small to large or vice versa. D<M<Y or Y>M>D.

Jan 18, 21 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
mtdew

H x W x D or W x H x D it would be best to note the H, W, D, to leave out room for misunderstanding. 

Jan 18, 21 2:55 pm  · 
1  · 
Koww

the answer is probably in here somewhere

Jan 23, 21 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hopefully he relies one something better for answers. There is nothing good in that moldy brick.

Jan 23, 21 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Koww,

"Noah's instructions are given to him by God (Genesis 6:14–16): the ark is to be 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide, and 30 cubits high"

So, the precedent was set long time ago. But if you are an atheist, do as you wish.

Jan 23, 21 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what about the dinos?

Jan 23, 21 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

Dinos were sinners, so they were not invited.

Jan 23, 21 3:58 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

"...So the LORD said: I will wipe out from the earth the human beings I have created, and not only the human beings, but also the animals and the crawling things and the birds of the air, for I regret that I made them..."

Jan 23, 21 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

That's one side of the story...!

Jan 23, 21 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

what part of that story permits the diddling on kids?

Jan 23, 21 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Non, that was in the appendix.

Jan 23, 21 4:34 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Riiiiiiiight. What's a cubit?

Mar 15, 22 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
apscoradiales

"...Non Sequitur

what part of that story permits the diddling on kids?..."

None. It's a people thing. I 've seen some really ugly buildings. Should I say all architects are un-educated fucking idiot morons, lol?

Jan 23, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe, if there was a global association in charge of ignoring the asshole architect problems. Do we have a Pope architect?

Jan 23, 21 5:03 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

https://www.uia-architectes.org/webApi/en/

Jan 23, 21 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gross. Sounds like a cult.

Jan 23, 21 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: