Archinect
anchor

Confessions of an Architect

David Cuthbert

or you could just get a grant or scholarship - usually quite a few out there if you just search...

Nov 22, 04 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Anonymous

I get it, point taken, I was just day dreaming a bit
I know I'll look into all that stuff when the time comes to go back. Just like I did initially to enter an architecture school in the first place.

Nov 22, 04 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
lulu

i hate 3d modelling
shhhh dont tell

Nov 22, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
chic lorimer

[1]i'm in my 5th year of architecture school and i don't even know what continent i want to look for a job on.
[2]i have a ghastly fear that noone will hire me.
[3]and i don't own ANY black shirts or pants. oh my.

Nov 22, 04 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i think that i know more about computers than our tech support guy.

Nov 22, 04 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
myLiebermeisterAGG

I am dating the Olson twins

Nov 24, 04 1:11 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

I can make the most artistic Power Point Presentations,
to everyone else, they are just "another PPP"

i dunno if i'll get the recognition i deserve in my life time

Nov 24, 04 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Suture

I have worn black for 628 days in a row and counting...

...and does anyone know where i can buy some Daniel Liebeskind type glasses?

Nov 24, 04 9:25 am  · 
 · 
bigness

one day ppt will be like prospective drawings in the middle ages: recognised as one of the advancements of the arts and communication, and you will be famous!

Nov 24, 04 9:26 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

thank you richard, i appeciate it :ob

Nov 24, 04 11:11 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

buildings with a good concrete/wood thing going on make me cream my pants, er skirt.

Nov 24, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

You may want to perform a slump test on your concrete. I think you may be getting moist watery concrete from your contractor.

Nov 24, 04 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

um

Nov 24, 04 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
UrbanDesign

I go to IIT and I don't like Mies van der Rohe...sept the barcelona chair...what .... what!?!?

...and I can't supress the laughter when one of my professors says notion over 20 times in 10minutes

Nov 24, 04 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

I don't play the Devil's advocate, i AM the Devil's Advocate.....

Nov 24, 04 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
o d b

1. i've been studying architecture since '97 and now i go to a big fancy grad school and i still have trouble figuring out what this whole architecture thing is about.

2. on my last few projects i've been getting cramps in the back of my right hand from pumping cad so hard. usually happens around 4 a.m.

3. i've lost a couple of girlfriends to architecture. (due to the whole "work-aholic thing or they worry i like it more than them).

4. i worked for free one summer (ouch....that one really hurt).

Nov 24, 04 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Per Corell

Hi

I realy don't understand Disney new concert hall, I don't understand when the 20 year old wiremesh idea develob into fake tophats ontop strait tradisional buildings, I don't understand when architects say that the new options with free form computer meshes reflect in these structures as realy all I se, is how skilled craftmen translate the tradisional steel profiles into shaping a fancy figure --- I agrea that I don't se the gain, where is the promising develobment the new family houses ,where did the wiremesh idea profit architecture except these few museums and Icons, shuldn't high-tech develob then how did it develob in 20 years.

Nov 25, 04 6:36 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I don't understand why after years of hurricanes & tornadoes & floods do american developers still the same type houses...Oh wait i know, aid from the govt and the w in water boots screaming "we will rebuild"
for another 4 year term

sorry this just came to me

Nov 25, 04 7:50 am  · 
 · 
graspin

yesterday i feel asleep at my desk...

however, i blame my boss for working me 60 hours a week.

my only solice is that i get paid overtime.

Dec 7, 04 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Mum

Confession: (Jeez, why do I feel like a Catholic right now?)

1. I couldn't care less about design - I'm a production and CA person, but I was "published" a few years ago.

2. It was thrilling for about 3 minutes until I read some of the quotes from the interview and I really wished I had chosen my words more carefully.

3. I don't really care if I ever get published again.

Dec 7, 04 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i think most architects design crap. and more than anything i don't want to be one of those. i'd rather not be an architect at all if i can't be a good one. often i look at stuff and think - you have got to be kidding, what the hell is that? when i graduated from school, little did i realize that i'd help do some of the crap that got me interested in architecture in the first place - cause i wanted to make things nicer. silly me. how's that for a disappointing career.
i think architects design some really awkward, unthoughtful stuff, and maybe they can't help it - they roll over for the client and get thier projects mutilated by schedules and budgets. i honestly thought that some stuff in the cities and towns i know was designed by architect-wannabes, engineers who just couldn't quite get those windows in there right. or didn't know how to make the front of the building look like the front. i really thought that these buildings couldn't have been designed by people with the same rigorous visual critism that I engage in. only to realize those ARE the guys who have the same education as me. and perhaps at one point felt the way i do, and had some great visions that got smashed all to hell when they smacked into that great big brick wall called the real world. scary. what happens to you guys? for real. i see so many extruded floor plans with dopy brick bands and out of scale roofs and cereal boxes turned on thier sides - EIFS on the back side to save the bucks like you don't know its there. this stuff is done by architects! who'd of thought? and is often considered good design by the clients - mostly cause its new, me thinks. but it ain't good proprotion, material selection, there is no balance, no dignity, no composition, no grace. even a mcmansion has composition.

Dec 7, 04 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
vongkothts

mc mansions are awesome.

Dec 7, 04 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

And, funny, since they do the SAME ONE, OVER AND OVER, they make fewer mistakes! And they don't have to figure things out as they go, because they've already done 10,000. And they're just copying details and patterns done 100,000 times somewhere else. And they're cheaper because they reap the benefit of a bulk materials purchasing and labor contracts for whole developments. And...

McMansions, ahhhhhh! They're perfect, really, aren't they?

Dec 7, 04 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh its only a facade

Dec 7, 04 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
jbirl

I can't draw nearly as well a people would expect (atho I am good at old-fashioned drafting).

I live in an old house and admire the moulding.

All classical profiles make sense since I read Vignola.

All I really want to do is work for Rem Koolhaas.

Dec 7, 04 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
JAG

I have always had a crush on Genevieve Gorder from Trading Spaces.

Dec 7, 04 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

word.

i thought i was the only one... but whats up with her never wearing shoes?

Dec 7, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i wrote 3 letters today, to my councilwoman, to a college president and to the neighborhood association against an adverse development in my neighborhood. they all responded promptly and want to meet me in person next community meeting. since i cc'd all the community members, i got tons of e mails thanking me for voicing their concerns. i am an instant celebrity now in the neighborhood and offered a position in the committee. today a letter writer, tomorrow a mayor.
*abracadabra cares*

Dec 7, 04 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

sometimes i just want to stay at home and sleep

or go out salsa dancing

yippee

Dec 8, 04 6:29 am  · 
 · 

Abra - good luck. The last time I spoke up so publicly it took me two years to extract myself from running a committee. Not that it wasn't rewarding and a good thing for the neighborhood, I just hadn't planned on it....

Dec 8, 04 7:38 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i smell like shit, literally.

outside of my office there are ginko trees, and every fall they drop these berries, and last night there was a big windstorm so they all got blown off the trees. there is really no way to avoid stepping on them, and they let out the smell of shit when they get stepped on.

Dec 8, 04 10:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Stephanie, I think that ginko smell is more like rotten meat than shit, but whatever.

Reading Strawbeary's post makes me feel guilty. By association.

I realized today that as much as I love construction, I love fabric more. I'm an architect but an interior designer wannabee - how pathetic is that.

Seeing Genevieve and her bare feet in a construction site makes me want to hurt her - painfully, slowly...

Dec 8, 04 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

i don't watch home improvement shoes.

i'd rather watch an episode of seinfeld (that i've seen 20 times
before) than catch up on the news.

i blow way to much money on clothes and shoes.

i work out like a mad-man, but eat like shit.

i killed a plant.

i love brunettes. ergo, i wish katie holmes (and the like) could be mine!

Dec 8, 04 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

I like red heads, scottish lass

Dec 8, 04 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

is it normal to play with my little ponies still, and is it normal to say i STILL play with them, although i am a man, and i am in my twenties?

*awkward silence*

Dec 8, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
meversusyou

is it normal to play with my little ponies still, and is it normal to say i STILL play with them, although i am a man, and i am in my twenties?

*awkward silence*

Dec 8, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
PLAN1

ok, I don't really like my school and hate the blobs, but the archi chicks are oh, so hot.

Dec 8, 04 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
MMatt

amen on Genivieve Gorder.

This seems therapeutic.

I think blobs are sexy, but vacuous.
I secretly envy people who are happy in a corporate setting.
I hate model building.
I sometimes pretend to understand Derrida to impress others.
I clasp my hands together so tightly during pinups that I bruise them.
I listen to cheesy Queen songs to psyche myself up for things.

.mm

Dec 8, 04 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
lexi

After I won a game of monopoly I had a false sence of lots of money.... and I actually spent $1000 at SAX :(

Dec 8, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
A

Today there was a lunch and learn in our office that I didn't sign up for but attended anyway and screwed a co-worker out of his free lunch.

Dec 8, 04 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

i come in early to download music. and i do it at the office so that my home comp. doesn't get any viruses. i feel no shame.

Dec 9, 04 7:38 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i knit in my spare time.

Dec 9, 04 9:43 am  · 
 · 
graspin

stephanie: you sound hot! i knit too!

Dec 9, 04 9:47 am  · 
 · 
French

What does knit mean?

Dec 9, 04 10:00 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

graspin: HOTT! what are you working on? want to trade patterns?

french: you know sweaters, they are made out of yarn, and the yarn is knitted. people who knit use needles and yarn and stitches to make things, like sweaters, socks, scarves, hats, etc...

knitting is my only "domestic" type activity i do...i am not really that into this feminist "take back the knit" thing, nor am i all about making stockings for the men overseas...i just like making things for my friends.

like beer coozies and wristbands.

Dec 9, 04 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
French

Okay I get it thanks stephanie. So now, not to offend you, is that supposed to be hot? Am I missing something or is graspin knowing some second meaning that neither you or I know? Enlighten me, I'm always happy to learn some new slang...

Dec 9, 04 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

stephanie: i would love to trade a few patterns. currently, i'm working on this sweet little number, but she's giving me some problems...

Dec 9, 04 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

knitting is totally hot. in a geeky crafty sort of way.

Dec 9, 04 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
graspin

yeah...i agree.
i think in the 'ghost' remake (which is surely on its way!!!), they should replace the pottery scene with knitting. lol.

Dec 9, 04 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

gahahaha.

can you show me how to purl?

Dec 9, 04 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: