Archinect
anchor

Confessions of an Architect

David Cuthbert

I know as architects we don't like to admit certain things, but since we are a close knit community at Archinect, let's share and assist each other in the therapeutic process

Oct 26, 04 8:23 am
David Cuthbert

confession no. 1

I have never watched or read the Fountain Head. The shame, the horror.

Oct 26, 04 8:25 am  · 
 · 
freq_arch

I don't own a black turtleneck...
...I know, pitiful.

Name withheld due to embarrassment.

Oct 26, 04 9:15 am  · 
2  · 
gillespie

confession:

when i told my distant relatives that i was going to be an architect, they gushed - saying that i must love flw. for my next christmas, my next birthday, and my graduation i received various versions of flw's complete works: 6 in all. my confession: while many of his ideas were quite interesting, im just not that big a fan of his work. oh the shame!

Oct 26, 04 9:19 am  · 
1  · 
kn825

confession:

I live in a garden apartment complex and its not that bad.

sad, yes.

Oct 26, 04 9:35 am  · 
1  · 
French

confession:
about 99 percent of my friends are architects. My girlfriend is an architect, I have very little confrontation with non architect.

it sucks

Oct 26, 04 10:52 am  · 
1  · 
A

I secretly love Wal-Mart for the great opporunity to get photos for my mullet.com hobby.

Oct 26, 04 11:18 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

confession:

i'm 31 and i've never visited europe. goddam that was hard, i have a headache now

Oct 26, 04 11:20 am  · 
1  · 
Cold Bacon

> I have very little confrontation with non architect

wow. i have plenty of confrontation with non architect. maybe you just need to try harder?

Oct 26, 04 11:21 am  · 
 · 
waterhouse

confession:

I own many books. Have a large bookcase.

And I keep a pictorial of Fallingwater under some sweaters in my closet.

Oct 26, 04 11:38 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

solo'ed with this,

but, could never attempt to do that,

Oct 26, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
montu

I don't work 70 hour weeks.
I don't have a boss that's a complete prick.
I have a family and a life....

The horror The horror

Oct 26, 04 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 
montu

The horror The horror

· 
liberty bell

I'm embarassed for all of us that in the "architects as sculptors" thread it took ten posts, including one from me, before someone mentioned "maya lin".

Sheesh!

My personal confession: I love looking at tacky suburban residential decor, like the homes of people who collect MG paraphernalia or Madame Alexander dolls or whatever. The methods people come up with to proudly display their objects are uber creative!

· 
montu

The horror The horror

· 
montu

The horror The horror

Oct 26, 04 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
montu

The horror The horror

· 
montu

The horror The horror

· 
montu

The horror The horror

· 
A

I don't subscribe to any architectural related magazines.

Oct 26, 04 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

montu, did you come yet?

Oct 26, 04 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

I have a large library, but only five and three fifths books are about architecture and none have anything to do with architecture.
I have more interesting/insightful architecture discussions with my 7 year old neice than any gibberish discussion with a masters degree holder who regurgitates his professors words (years later).
I don't know why the AIA uses the word architecture. "Packaging" may be a better word- AIP
Is the architectural education in the US so bad that graduates need to study everything all over again and take tests all over again to be registered. And who are the people that prepare these tests and what makes them any more expertly than any other architect?

Oct 26, 04 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

I prefer sex to architecture

Oct 26, 04 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

I secretly want to be famous.

Oct 26, 04 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
mnesikles

i was able to get through school without physical dependence on coffee and cigarettes

Oct 26, 04 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
aml

mnesikles, i hate & envy you.

i've read every post in this thread.

i'm confused by gustav's math [5 3/5 books on arch but none have anything to do with arch? wha?]

i am convinced that i am always right. when in doubt, i'm probably right. if everybody disagrees with me, they are probably wrong.

Oct 26, 04 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
timm

Deciding shortly before I graduated I wanted nothing to do with architecture, I got the degree but then stayed in school studying art. Now, a year and a half later, would love to work in the profession and can't find an arch related job to save my life. Note: I'm also overqualified to work at my local Barnes & Noble...

The intolerable cruelty, sob...

Oct 26, 04 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

at one time i really liked frank gehry, after numerous beatings and many more buildings which look the same, i know better. going to go kill myself now.

Oct 26, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

sigh,

would still work there though.

Oct 26, 04 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
.ml

"I secretly want to be famous." That's nice:)

Oct 26, 04 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
qunqing

i admit i was a fan of richard meier.

Oct 26, 04 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

i have lots of books and use big words from time to time so that i appear 'enlightened' to the casual observer; but i feel more comfortable swilling beer and watching football than sipping on wine and discussing philosophy...

Oct 26, 04 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I spend an equal amount of time surfing archinect as I do checking my email.

I dream of being "published" some day.

I'm paranoid of being chastised by archinect, so I spell check each of my posts.

I enjoy it more when discussions about my work result in extreme positions of disgust and awe rather than general acceptance. At the same time, while adamantly defending my work I’m never completely satisfied that what I’ve designed has reached its fullest potential. I’m continually trying to trump my previous work.

The Fountain Head sparked my collegiate interest in reading.

I’ve procrastinated all day, and now need to get back to work.

Oct 26, 04 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

i like to touch animals on their butts...

Oct 26, 04 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

Two fast track multi-prime CM's at risk, a Gmax Cost Plus' addenda No. 4 and deduct alternate No. 743, with the 800 pound gorilla's performance and payment bonds, a surety letter, three letters of credit, one bank inspector, and ten "Where's the sizzle”(s ) later FlowB beats me to the punch with ----- you got it.

i like to touch animals on their butts...

Crap

I really much prefer to draw.

Oct 26, 04 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
FlowB

alphanumericcha,

are you a slapper, patter, or scratcher?

Oct 26, 04 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
alphanumericcha

stroker

Oct 26, 04 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I hate NYC.

Oct 27, 04 1:01 am  · 
 · 
beatmeofficer

one time, when i was in zipolite and this little hippy kid was bugging me, i stepped on his arm and then pretended it was an accident.

Oct 27, 04 2:19 am  · 
 · 
bigness

confessions:

i like skate clothes better than "all black" stuff

my girlfriend has almost no interest in architecture

i always feel insecure in the presence of more architect-looking people
than myself

i always feel insecure in the presence of people who work/have worked
in famous offices

i'd rather take a pt job at the local snowboard shop than a pt in a firm

i talk better theory when i'm drunk

Oct 27, 04 7:48 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

This one is really sad

after undergraduate school, feeling a little disponded by my final grades and critiques, I enrolled in law school. I did 10 months whilst working for a ho-hum municipal office. My disdain grew so much for the hacks calling themselves architects that i went back to school.

Ok ok ok, how come we haven't heard anything from Susan Surface or DesignGeekGirl? I'm hurt! Ladies join please join the forum

Oct 27, 04 7:52 am  · 
 · 
slaprabbit

i feel that architecture will just be a waste a time, and ill end up working at a skate shop, or a local comic book store..

At moca(bunker hill) i think i got high on FOG..

Oct 27, 04 8:19 am  · 
 · 
bigness

women are not as insecure and full of bullshit as we are, i would expect

Oct 27, 04 8:46 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

insecure & full of bullshit = architect, so you saying women can't be architects?

Oct 27, 04 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Speaking of insecure...

Despite the fact that I've been doing this architecture thing for many years now (13 yrs since BArch) and I 'know' that I know what I'm doing, I never feel like I know what I'm doing. It's like every project I'm starting over and have to relearn the most basic construction.

On one hand it makes it more interesting because it's always fresh, no preconceptions, and there's always the feeling of learning and growing. On the other, it would be really great to know that I was building on something and taking it further.

Oct 27, 04 8:57 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Amen to that one, Steven, I say as I look at my 20th wall section drawing and ask "Wait, how the hell is this flashed? And the steel beam connects how? And where does the A/V barrier go? Do we need weeps? How thick is granite cladding? Do I need an airspace behind the clapboard? Does the contracxtor want to know top of slab or finish floor elevation?" Good lord I could go on and on.

I love construction, but it constantly humbles me.

Oct 27, 04 9:13 am  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I WAS AN ENGINEER FIRST.
OH GOD PLEASE FORGIVE

Oct 27, 04 9:25 am  · 
 · 
bigness

ward, i get thesame feeling...just get pretending u know what you're doing...i guess.

Oct 27, 04 9:49 am  · 
 · 
wangsta

I used Accu-Render one time and actually...well...kind of enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 04 10:19 am  · 
 · 
montu

Ward
Is the continual sense of renewal and freshness the nature of what we do ( or what we want to do) and why we are we are so despised by the construction industry and the corporate world.
We want freshness and discovery they want sameness and mechanization…
Safety?

Also sorry about the sticky submit button.

Oct 27, 04 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: