Archinect
anchor

design-oriented firms pay?(nyc)

archi003

Hey guys...i am tired of my current firm's crappy works, and trying to find a position in a midsize design-oriented firms around the city, which are expected to do really great works. i have around 2 years experience and an m.arch degree...i am not looking for big salary, but just curious about hou much i may earn there...are junors in those firms really poorly paid? or generally ok?
i appreciate any of your inputs.

Oct 25, 04 6:49 pm
Pimp Minister Pete Nice

A Palm reader may be of greater assistance to you at this point or you could do your own research with some of the research outlets found on this very site.

Oct 26, 04 10:35 am  · 
 · 
aRimbaud

Unfortunately those high design firms(stararchitects) in NYC, don't have much to offer. They pay very little, usually don't have good benefits and expect you to work like you did in school...all day, all night. My analysis is that it is not worth it. I have interviewed with several of these firms this past summer, and was disapointed...but if you have a trust fund or extra cash to live on then go for it.

Oct 26, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 
archi003

thank you for your reply. i am not an english native speaker...bear with me i just figured out the term starchitect...
well, i checked salary poll...it looks like if you have more years exp or licensed, then it will be another story. but i think years of exp in a bad design firm just don't count.

Oct 26, 04 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
grace kim

No palm reading necessary.
Asking around is great, as long as people are honest and willing to share.

Absent from that, the AIA conducts a salary survey every few years...the last one in 2002. It breaks down the salaries by experience level, size of firm, and region of the country. While it's quite expensive to buy the whole survey, you can download a single page PDF from AIA's website for free.

http://www.aia.org/SiteObjects/files/Internsalaries_2002.pdf

good luck!

Oct 29, 04 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

is that survey really any good? Follow my train of thought here, Im thinking they aren't necessarily good cause they only poll AIA type firms (or firms with registered architects whom are part of AIA). IS this an honest observation? Or do they actually go out and get good data to compile this survey?

Just curious as to what the AIA really does with all that money some of you poor bastards pay them (just to get three little letters after your name). Or so the saying goes!

Nov 1, 04 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: