Archinect
anchor

Help! Switching to Construction Management

Anob

Good afternoon everyone,

Need some advice! I've been working in a architecture environment for 2 yrs and for many reason Ive grown to hate the design orientation of construction and producing design development &  construction documents. While in school I worked for a subcontractor and I now realize that I loved it and my personality was meant to work in the construction management field. I've been applying to many positions and lucky enough i have landed interviews but I have gotten the same negative feedback that i do not have enough project management experience, excel experience, timberline experience, primavera experience etc…….. I've even got a response telling me I have too much AutoCAD and Revit experience (Intern Architects would love this problem).

Basically I want to become a Construction Project Manager without going back to school for Civil Engineering or for a Bachelors in Construction Management. I also want to obtain IDP credits into construction management. Still want to become a license architect. Any advice?

Feb 13, 14 1:34 pm
Nice

I recently made the same switch to CM/GC. The advice I would give you is do anything that you can to play up any experience you have on a site, such as punchlist work, site visits, etc. I also framed houses during my summers in college which helped me some, but basically emphasize any ways in which your arch experience will help you learn quickly. I also bought some basic books on construction management and read them which were helpful. I would also put some time in learning at least Excel and Microsoft Project.

Once you jump into a few projects, you can learn very quickly. It can be very exciting but there is also a lot of paperwork involved. My advice is look for any positions that will give experience both on site and with the scheduling financial aspects of the project. Most entry-level/lower-level positions will fit in with this criteria, you will basically work between the PM and the superintendent.

Feb 13, 14 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Anob

Thanks Nice I have also done hands-on construction work...  Ive been applying to Assistant-Junior PM positions and even entry estimator position. I know there's a lot of paper work (to me it beats choosing crown moulding). What position did you land and what positions would you recommend that I apply to get my foot in the door to eventually become a CM?

Feb 13, 14 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Nice

I am an Assistant PM and I got to see my first project all the way through from submittals to now doing closeouts and punchlist work. I would go for Assistant PM or Project Engineer positions, you will get a mixture of experiences on site and in the office. Estimating is a little different, not much site work and not really for me from what I can see. The best advice I can give is spend as much time on site early on as possible. That way you see everything come together in front of you and you really learn how a construction site works. If you don't understand something fully, don't be scared to ask a question. Talking to sub contractors about their work allows me to learn a great deal about a large variety of trades.

Feb 13, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
westcoastone

Nice, 

Can I PM you with a few questions regarding your APM position?

Thanks.

Feb 14, 14 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Nice

Yes, definitely

Feb 16, 14 8:39 am  · 
 · 
westcoastone

Nice,

PM Sent.  

Thanks.

Feb 16, 14 8:49 am  · 
 · 
westcoastone

Nice - my PM got bounced back to me in an email. Can you confirm if it made it through to you? Thanks.

Feb 17, 14 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Nice

My apologies, my account was linked to an old email address, I just switched it yesterday. Do you mind sending it again?

Feb 18, 14 8:10 am  · 
 · 
westcoastone

Nice - resent the PM.

thanks.

Feb 18, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
invorticles

^ Good luck brother.

Feb 26, 14 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: