Archinect
anchor

Mergers and Acquisitions

med.

Anyone hear of any interesting M&As in the world of Architecture?

I just heard of a MAJOR one. 100-year old firm, Ellerbe Becket has been acquired by AECOM.

Oct 26, 09 10:27 am
some person

In the spirit of Thanksgiving....

gobble, gobble, gobble!

Oct 26, 09 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
BlueGoose

Could we possibly "merge" the two "Merger and Acquisitions" threads?

Oct 26, 09 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

RTKL acquired by Arcadis several years ago...others I can't think of at this moment. Any cross-disciplinary, architect/developer or design/build mergers of note?

A monopoly of architectural practices = economies of scale = a continuation of profit-maximization-over-design-responsiveness model of business

Some additional questions that I would raise...

Can we, as a collective industry, achieve economies of scale without sacrificing the agility of small firms to responsively and responsibly meeting the built needs of tomorrow (i.e. design quality)?

Is the natural capitalistic/triple bottom line model set forth by proponents of a holistic sustainable development (i,e. Paul Hawkens, Amory Lovins, McDonough) really feasible given an economic climate of M&A's, where economics still dominates the conversation?

My intention is not to hijack this thread, but add to it. We should not assume that M&A's are always good or newsworthy (economic benefits aside).

Oct 26, 09 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Just got word frm a friend that Burt Hill has been acquired by Stantec.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0918007520100909

Sep 15, 10 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

still persistant rumors that HOK is on the block.. and their non-denial denial a few days ago:

HOK denies Aecom buyout rumour
10 September 2010

HOK has denied all knowledge of reports that fellow US firm Aecom is considering buying it out.

Reports emerged last week that Aecom is looking to add a major firm of architects to its portfolio following its acquisition of QS Davis Langdon for £204 million last month, with HOK hotly tipped.

But HOK director Andrew Barraclough told BD that there were no discussions “or thought processes” within the firm which would lead to its disposal or acquisition.

“HOK continues to grow and prosper…and although conditions continue to be difficult, we are very positive about the medium term future,” he added.

Sep 15, 10 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I have a Feeling AECOM hasn't backed down from a major Architecture acquisition -- yet.

I can't imagine HOK being bought out though. Just makes no sense.

I can see however, RMJM or Aedas being tipped....

Sep 15, 10 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: