Archinect
anchor

Favourite word from Architecture School

mightyaa

"Heliocrete":  Helium entrained concrete that can span unfathomable distances so you need not worry about physics or real structure limitations. 

"Human condition"... good archibabble terms for monumental designs.  "The space really iterates the human condition with it's proportions." 

Oh, I guess I used another fav term; "Archibabble"... the ramblings of architects to justify the passion and emotion behind their design to make us seem somehow like we live on a separate plain of understanding buildings...  

Jan 20, 14 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
observant

vocabulary - cornices and corbels neither speak nor write.

Human condition is a great term for psychology, sociology, political science, and other social sciences.  I don't care for its use as applied to architecture.  Architecture can evoke certain emotions, create an atmosphere, and possibly alter moods, but it is not a determinant of the human condition nor is the human condition a determinant of architecture.

Jan 20, 14 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Token AE

I can't believe that nobody has brought up my favorite (and its many variants):

Pedagogical
Pedagogies
Pedagogy

From my understanding, if you wish to publish an academic paper, it must contain one of the above words.

I also enjoy: undulating, fabric, tensegrity, the prefix digi-, hierarchy, heirophant, treatise, design collective, equilibrium, substratum, singularity, kafka-esque, metamorphosed, anthropomorphosed, milieu, pullulation, didactic, diagrid,

Additionally, using atypical  forms of common terms was a plus: aeroplane, hackney-cab, bicycling-lane, motorcoach, motorcar, computation room.

Jan 21, 14 1:27 am  · 
 · 

Haptic. 

Jan 21, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
xxxxxx
Tectonic
Jan 22, 14 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Aristotle

rationalize

Feb 4, 14 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Volumetric, as in, "I haven't completed any drawings for this presentation because I've been engaged in volumetric studies."

Feb 11, 14 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

finagle

fi·na·gle

fəˈnāgəl/

verb

informal

1. 1.

obtain (something) by devious or dishonest means.

Feb 11, 14 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
wood_

interesting

extrapolate

undulation

materiality

Feb 12, 14 7:38 am  · 
 · 
bartleby

graduation

Feb 12, 14 11:57 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Phenomenology - this word is so abstract to me, I keep having to look up the dictionary every 6 months or so because its hard to put in words what it really means xD

Feb 14, 14 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
dionysus

ineffable

i like to think it means un-f@ck-with-able, but i just looked it up and it ruined my ignorance.

heidegger

Feb 14, 14 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Graduate.

As in, You are now a Graduate so you no longer need to deal with our BS.

Feb 19, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: