Archinect
anchor

MOM's Renovation

MyDream

It's a small reno i'm hoping anywhere from $15,000-25,000 Expanding the rear of my mother's home. I designed the project while going thru my A.S degree and my mom liked it and has constantly harassed me about getting a set of drawings made sense i started working at my firm. So  my boss and I have gone over my design and are now creating sections to get an idea about load bearing walls and roof pitch....... :)

Has anyone manage to get a potential job for your boss from connections and such and how did it go?

I'll add some visuals for the concept before and after made from 3ds max for you all to see if interested.

Jan 6, 14 12:15 pm
curtkram

if you're doing an addition for your mom, i would not consider it bringing work into the office so much as your boss is probably kind of doing you a favor to help you and your family out, even if there are fees and such.  i could be wrong; i don't know your boss or the environment you work in or anything.  however, the general rule is to not mix business and family unless you're duck commander.  otherwise, you might have to pick which one is more important, and that is not a good position to be in.

Jan 6, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Well, you are probably right and I would try to get out but i think it is a little to late. Thinking about my mom and her pocket book and the well being of my place of work is a bad combo. I also told my mom to tell people around her place of work that I can get them an architect if any one is in need of architectural services do you think this was also a bad idea?

I'm hoping for a 7% arch fee

Jan 6, 14 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

SOME firms will probably allow you to use their equipment (mostly computers) to work on a project that is for a family member on YOUR time, meaning after regular hours and on weekends.  Moonlighting for profit is often grounds for dismissal.  I knew a guy who was terminated for doing so, although the projects were small and done at his home.  The architect was reputed to be a jerk, and had more of an interior designer veneer though he is a licensed architect.  You should work independently and not take up any of their intellectual capital, if you will.  While the computers take up some electricity, as will the lighting, you should probably record how much paper you consumed and insist on reimbursing them.

If this in any way jeopardizes your position at the firm as you are en route toward your goals, then I'd skip it.  See if you can work on it on a c.c.'s computers as "independent study" if you don't have the graphics programs and other equipment on your home computer, for example.

Jan 6, 14 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Moonlighting for profit 

The 7% is what i wanted my boss to charge my mother. Working independently on projects such as these in my eyes is illegal. I wanted to see this as an opportunity to bring in work or market my place of work as well as help people. Also it is a great way to get more involved because all i do is draft for now....:(

I will see if working on this project on my on time other than the 3ds max stuff would be more suitable for my employer. 

Jan 6, 14 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
observant

If that's profit coming into the firm, that's ok, but I still prefer to separate business from family related matters, especially since residential + relatives = high drama.

As for the moonlighting, it's probably a matter of ethics more so than outright legality or illegality.  Moonlighting at night from your own home might make you less productive to your office because you are stretched more thinly, but I don't think they can control someone from having a second job, which is what moonlighting is.  Most people who have moonlighted seem to do so between 7 pm and 11 pm, after dinner, including meeting with clients, often for minor residential stuff or an actual dwelling.  There are people who do this.  They just make sure it doesn't intersect with their work life and output at their principal place of employment.

Jan 6, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the relationship is more important than the money or the contract.  if your boss wants to help you, then that's great, let him.  just be clear that it's about helping your mom get an addition to her house and an opportunity for you to learn about architecture.  then it's not about business or money (even though you're still going to pay him; it would be rude not to).  keep your intentions clear from the start, and if your intention is to use your family to further your personal ambitions, rethink your intentions.

i don't think there is anything wrong with bringing in work from a friend of the family if that's what you want to do to.  again though, keep your intentions clear to yourself, your client, and your boss.  don't let them think you're doing them a favor if you're not doing them a favor.  if it's business, keep it business and not personal.

Jan 6, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I worked in a firm where it was common for intern architects to bring in their own work from family and friends.  The contract was written from the principal of the firm to the owner and the intern that brought in the work was treated as a PM on the project.  The technical detailing came from the principal architect in places of possible liability.  It was a win-win for all, because the firm made money and the intern that brought in the work that was not in a place professionally to to handle a project had the principal to back check the work.

If your boss is approachable on the subject I would try to work something like that, but know that at any point in the project, they will take the reigns if you are slippin.

Moonlighting is usually just  a clause in  your employee contract or employee manual, some firms are OK with it, others are not, research or ask, because its not worth loosing your job for a 25k remodel. 

Jan 6, 14 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

curtkram

My mom really liked the design and it was originally  done on a drafting board vellum and pencil not 3d. She wanted it done and would not stop asking until she got what she wanted. I think that this could be a great experience for my mom, me and my boss has been doing this before i was born so i think he is just chillin on the matter.

I think this can classify as business...as well as keeping things on a fun level because it is for my mother.

Jan 6, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

chigurh, now that is what I'm aiming for!

Jan 6, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
jarvvy

MyDream,

I don't see how this would be illegal. In some states you can work on a residence of a certain size or addition if you're not licensed. These regulations are sometimes even more relaxed if your designing for a family member. Depends on your state.

Jan 8, 14 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

You are right the owner of a house can design or renovate there own house, but it would be an unwise decision to try to do so in my opinion. 

Jan 9, 14 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
observant

MyDream,

I don't see how this would be illegal. In some states you can work on a residence of a certain size or addition if you're not licensed. These regulations are sometimes even more relaxed if your designing for a family member. Depends on your state.

Exactly, think of all that bad builder done residential work because it squeezes in under certain square footage thresholds.  It would be interesting to see a list of states that require an architect's license for smaller residential work.  I bet it's a small list.  More work for architects, though.

Jan 9, 14 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

This can be a good opportunity for you to learn a lot about architecture. You boss will appreciate this also since s/he probably knows how hard it is to bring a project into the office. Your Mom will be proud of you if you do this correctly with your boss's help. If you treat everyone fairly, this can be a win-win-win situation.

Gang Chen, Author, AIA, LEED AP BD+C

Jan 9, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

This project is coming back to bite me in my ass and I have been since laid off from my job. I have a mom who is frantically trying to get this project done, she is demanding that I sit down with her today and get what SHE WANTS and get it down on paper. I seem to have had my design stolen and altered according to what SHE WANTS. It seems after she heard about my "good grades" in arch design 1 and math she thinks I'm Paul Revere Williams and can be demanded around like a useful pawn.

On the up side I am designing an addition and will have to go thru a permit process and maybe I can be the GC on this project as well as far as selecting subs and making sure they follow my plans cause I'm going to be the drafter and designer....muhahahahahha! So... When I get this stuff on a flash drive or memory stick to be printed am I going to have to have this stamped for the permit process, because we are the home owners? Should a structural engineer be involved because there will be a truss component or "structural components involved or can an architect revise and stamp?

Dec 15, 14 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what's the problem that's biting you in the ass?  the old employer got paid instead of you?

Dec 15, 14 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

No, the fact that s/he took up the job at all.

Dec 15, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Although it would be funny/sad if the firm got paid and then laid off the OP. Lesson in that case, business and family dont mix!

Dec 15, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

MyDream - it sounds like your real problem is your relationship with your mother. You may need to find a way to get out of doing this so you can move on with your career and focus on getting the experience you really need. It will be tough - figure out a way to do it without hurting her feelings.

Dec 15, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

The project, while I was working at the firm did not go past a floor plan and naming out rooms no one was paid not even me. The project from what I designed extends a bedroom away from the home and goes along the existing house from the bottom right corner of the project. Just an extension of the back part of the home, there is a back screen porch that gives a great stencil for where it is going to be located. There is a extension of a bedroom, a bathroom, a dining room, and a sewing room , which I'm proud of designing it made my client very pleased and eager to start construction.

As far as my relationship with the client, your right it is not that good....lol we have are differences. I'm at the beginning of my Architecture education the first "E" just passing Arch design 1 with a B moving on to D2 in the spring 2015. It was a great experience in D1 I love museum board it far surpasses chipboard or cardboard. Easy to cut and just sandpaper to keep clean my final model was commended. Space sections, material sections, axo's, models the whole nine yards it was great I could go on about that but I'll spare you.

However I do have a A.S degree in Architectural and Building technology and 8 months of experience as a architectural drafter/ Architectural Illustrator in an architecture practice. So, with all that said I could get together a set of plans up to graphic standards with some stills and try to get them permitted, but I would need a stamp. Any ideas on that process?

Dec 16, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: