Archinect
anchor

The 110 toll road?

stefjam
Los Angeles County transportation officials are considering prices of 25 cents to $1.40 per mile for solo motorists who use the high-occupancy toll lanes that have been proposed for the 110 and 10 freeways.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-tollway9-2009jun09,0,7960912.story

http://www.metro.net/projects_studies/expresslanes/index.htm

So is the revenue from the toll fares going to help fund public transit? I doubt it, but that would be awesome. I'm wondering how curbing access to lanes is expected to reduce traffic. Is there an assumption that enough people will just stop driving and taking transit instead.. or that everyone is going to start carpooling? It'll be an interesting experiment, to say the least.

Discuss.

Jun 10, 09 2:48 pm
binary

so do people still move to california... i would people would start to move out due to high rates of everything

Jun 10, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
chaos3WA

yet another reason not to leave west LA.

Jun 10, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

There has actually been recent research into the fact that providing fewer lanes / traffic routes in fact does curb traffic. As Richard Rogers says, in LA they have been building more and more and wider and wider roads for years and traffic has just gotten worse and worse and worse...

There are some pretty good precedents for road access limitation *improving* traffic flow. I know one was in a part of Manhattan where there had been a thru-way for years and the neighbors got together and closed it off... everyone worried it would make for crazy traffic on the roads around that one but in fact traffic didn't increase at all... I would have to look up the citation but it was a pretty interesting observation.

Jun 11, 09 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

anyway, pardon me for not reading the link, but aren't the HOV lanes restricted anyway? I mean don't they already have like $1000 fines for SOV vehicles in those lanes? So wouldn't this be increasing the available amount of lanes, at a minimal cost to the driver, and in return choking up the lanes that were supposed to encourage adoption of HOV practices?

Jun 11, 09 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

"yet another reason not to leave west LA"

... ???

I think most discerning folks would agree, East LA > West LA

perhaps a more apt comment might be "yet another reason not to live in LA at all"

Jun 24, 09 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
1deviantC

the 15 degree+ drop in temperature in west l.a. alone makes it way better than east l.a.

unless of course you like to stay in your house with the ac on full blast in the middle of the summer. at least in west l.a., one can venture outside w/o baking to a crisp

Jun 27, 09 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: