Archinect
anchor

books on apartment floor plans

neubau

hi!
I’ve been looking for any good books on apartment floor plans, particularly for those in housing blocks. Can you recommend anything?

Thank you.

May 14, 09 11:01 am
neubau

please, please, please

anyone?

May 14, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Start with Modern Housing Prototypes by Roger Sherwood.

After that, search your library catalogue with some combination of the following terms:

-multi-family
-housing
-apartment
-design

May 14, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
neubau

Sorry, I didn't specify that I'm interesed in multi-family housing. And it doesn't neseccary have to be modern. I'm curious if there's a study of maybe old but of high quality housing. It's always pictures but never plans. Did somebody studied those things?

Thank you. The book looks interesting.

Anything else?

May 14, 09 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
neubau

Unfortunately I don't have a good english language library here.

May 14, 09 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I've seen several books with the above terms in their library listing somehow --architectural books with plans similar to Sherwood's. I'm sorry I don't have time to dredge them up at the moment.

Plan-heavy (but perhaps not the "quality" of design you're looking for) are several books on NYC apartment houses by Andrew Alpern. There are a couple of gorgeous books on big apartment houses, one on Washington, DC by James Goode, and another brand-new one on Chicago by Neil Harris.

May 14, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

¨Floor Plan Manual_Housing"; edited by Friederike Schneider; 3rd edition. Birkhauser. (Englsih and german texts)

"a + t" (architecture and technology); "density III" (spring 2003)

May 15, 09 12:54 am  · 
 · 

CIAM produced a publication after the second congress (1929) that focused on "the minimum dwelling"... i can't recall the name of the book off the top of my head, but i think that it may just be "the minimum dwelling"... i'm also not sure if there is an english translation, it may just be in german... but there are a bunch of plans all drawn to the same scale...

May 15, 09 8:37 am  · 
 · 
neubau

architphil

thanks, but I'm afraid I won't be able to sell the minimum type of dwelling. I need luxurious, comfortable plans since it's not for school but for work.

May 15, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

"Luxurious comfortable plans" + "Housing blocks"?

Where were those ever built?

Look for "Apartments of the Metropolis" for plans in classic pre-war NYC apartment buildings.

Also Alpern's "Apartments for the Affluent" may have some plans.

May 16, 09 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Also Sexton's "American Apartment Houses, Hotels and Apartment Hotels of Today: Exterior and Interior Photographs and Plans"

May 16, 09 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

if you need "luxurious, comfortable plans + housing blocks" best bet for plans (forget about the elevations) is to look at the numerous hi-rise units built in Dubai/Abu Dhabi/Beirut. you'll just have to google either the master developers to get the names of the development (try Nakheel, Emaar, Dubai Properties, Damac, Union Properties, Sama Dubai, Omniyat)

or just google "dubai apartments" and you should get sets of floor plans for different buildings. same goes for Abu Dhabi or Beirut.

May 16, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
tidalwave1

what I did when I was looking into this was go to all the condo developer websites and look at the floorplans that they were doing. of course these plans weren't to scale but they usually had some bad dimensions and square footage.

May 16, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: