Archinect
anchor

What kind of supporting structure for this rooftop?

alexanderman

Hi,

I'm not an architect but i'd like to ask an architectural design question if I may.

I have a house with a design plan where the ground floor is 7.5 m x 13.5 meters. It has the typical layout with two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathrooms and what not. However the second floor is completely hollow, just a big open space with a spiral stairs leading to the ground floor and perhaps to the rooftop.

My question is, the second floor being hollow, can i have a concrete rooftop? I mustn't have supporting posts on the second floor supporting the rooftop because the second floor must be as spacey as possible free from hindrances. 

How can i create such a rooftop, costing a little as possible yet is a safe structure.

Please don't laugh at my question if you think it is silly. Thanks in advance

Oct 18, 13 9:46 am

Consulting fees start at $250 an hour plus expenses and 1/2 time for travel.

Oct 18, 13 9:51 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

don't let him get to you alexander.  he'd do it for $120.

Oct 18, 13 10:07 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I'm not an architect but

That's obvious.  A homeowner who acts as his own architect has a fool for a client.

Oct 18, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 

What about an architect who designs his own house?

Oct 18, 13 10:40 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

He/She is a food working for another fool.

Oct 18, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
alexanderman

In my neck of the woods sick people die by getting wrong diagnosis and treatment by the doctors here. So I have to find the solution myself.

Obviously I'm at a wrong forum where, people have to hire the services to get help. Fair enough. 

Oct 18, 13 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

pay for proper services? what a novel idea.

We have licensed professional for a reason. Perhaps your problem is greater than your understanding of structure and building design. I suspect you should start by re-evaluating your attitude towards professional services or move away from the disease stricken cave complete with the snake handler shamans you call your "neck of the woods".

Here is the 2 cent worth advice you're looking for: No, it won't work, at least not at a cost you would be willing to accept seeing as design fees are too much for you. Second, I don't think I would want to be within a half-block from a concrete structure that you researched by yourself on the internet.

Oct 18, 13 11:45 am  · 
 · 

alexanderman, I'm not making fun of you, really.  You came here innocently asking a question and have - with some snark thrown in - been told that this is the kind of advice no professional would give out for free, not only due to wanting respect but also due to the enormous liability issues we architects have to face in our profession.

That said, this is my new favorite phrase:  ....the second floor must be as spacey as possible free from hindrances...

I love it because my old boss and I used to always use terms like "We could squoosh this wall over to get more space in this room" etc. and then we would always laugh about how we spent tons of money and time on our professional degrees only to then use terms like "squoosh" when referring to our craft. Good times.

Oct 18, 13 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Shaman services start at $500 an hour plus expenses with a two hour minimum. Snakes extra. 

Oct 18, 13 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, no worries, I breed my own snakes. I read a few "Yahoo Answers" articles and feel I am well informed.

Oct 18, 13 11:59 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i am all sorts of curious about the doctors in the aforementioned "neck of the woods."  so people pay for doctors that may not be able to adequately diagnose all possible medical problems.  that's fine, i've see a lot of doctors guess and make mistakes.  they don't really test every possible diagnoses like that tell you on TV.  a lot of times they just prescribe antibiotics and wait for you to keep coming back over and over telling them the antibiotics aren't working.

so the rational solution is to go to webMD and make your own guess.  now, i understand a person with a problem is going to care more about the outcome than a doctor who is probably overworked to begin with, and that will lead to you spending more time and more care on your own diagnosis.  however, that doctor not only has the education credentials, but they see sick people in your region all day everyday.  just seems you're making a bad bet.

Oct 18, 13 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

completely non-sarcastic:

yes, you can do what you want to do. no question. but you'll have to hire someone to help you figure it out because it's not an easy task.

it demands not only knowledge and experience but some familiarity with your individual situation. you're going to have to hire someone, have them visit you to talk over your goals and witness the particular circumstances you have, and then come back to you with recommendations. you'll discuss these recommendations, make modifications, and your designer will refine/develop further. this could require multiple iterations. only when you're both satisfied that what you're doing is the right path will you move toward realization of the project.

this is what professional services are about. 

Oct 18, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
What kind of roof is on it now and why do you want to replace it? When you say concrete, do you mean a solid concrete slab or concrete roof tiles? No one here can actually answer your question without seeing the actual building and learning your goals. I don't mind answering questions.
Oct 18, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
alexanderman

Thank you gruen thank you donna...The best answer already came from within me... I just know in my heart that "my idea" is feasible. But yes curtram, I will still go to "webMD" and further research this. I have downloaded the trial version of Chief Architect and will try to translate this idea visually and will ask for professional input online when it's done.

I completely understand where non Sequitur is coming from. Reading his past posts here in this forum its evident that costs to get his degree was very expensive and he is trying very hard make up for that as quickly as possible. Even his name nickname connotes negativity, so I forgive his arrogance.

Oct 19, 13 9:33 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Nothing wrong with drawing through it yourself, but you might want to get a local professional to take a look and see if what you want to do is feasible and cost effective. Most architects should take the time to meet w you and discuss your options for free, then you can hire them to do a more in depth study to see about feasibility and costs.
Oct 19, 13 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

I have downloaded the trial version of Chief Architect and will try to translate this idea visually and will ask for professional input online when it's done.

You'll probably want this too:

Oct 19, 13 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

alexanderman, nothing wrong with arrogance but there is something wrong with people abusing our hard work in order to get freebies about their terrible design ideas.

Oct 20, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

here's free advice: you must have supporting 'posts' SOMEWHERE on the second floor, otherwise please refer here for precedents on methods of 'hovering' concrete slabs and other 'spacey' stuff:

http://www.yveskleinarchives.org/works/works16_us.html

Oct 20, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 

you must have supporting 'posts' SOMEWHERE on the second floor

ROTFLMAO

Oct 20, 13 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Supporting posts on level one and basement too...
Oct 20, 13 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: