Archinect
anchor

CAD layer standards book/internet question

I see on the internet vol. 2 for $45.00 (from somewhat shady sounding distant vendors that take a long time to ship) & vol. 3 for $450.00. What do I need to know about this if I want to know about that?
Thanks-

Oct 6, 04 1:39 am
archiphreak

layer standards are different for each office...the aia has there own "standard", and that has been the model for most of my experience so far...i personally would not waste that much money...just make it up as you go along

Oct 6, 04 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

Einstein,

While each office has their own standards there is a standard. In the graphic standards book (at least in the 2004 edition) there is about 2 pages of fine print dedicated to the art of layering. Good luck, and remember "He who layers right helps production but not them selves". (The last sentence was only for my own amusement).

Oct 6, 04 11:01 am  · 
 · 
norm

if i help production - then i help myself.
don't waste your money on a book.
the aia system is pretty straightforward - and you can then monkey with it to fit your needs and style of working.
no matter what you decide - coming up with a system that other people can follow is paramount.

Oct 6, 04 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think perhaps the point tectonic is making is that if you come up with a layer system be prepared to enforce that system. as i can tell you the firm i work uses a modified aia system that i instituted and because of it i have become the defacto "guru" with no ability to enforce anything, which in the does not better me at all.

Oct 6, 04 9:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: