Archinect
anchor

NYC firms

bz

Hi, everybody! I am looking for a job in NYC and need help putting together my list of good architecture firms. I will be grateful for any advice! Do you also know somebody who is hiring right now? Thanks a lot!

Oct 5, 04 3:31 pm
Marc Pittsley

There are several open positions in Manhattan and Brooklyn listed in the Jobs Section:
Shamir Shah Design
James Harb Architects
Delson or Sherman Architects
You might start there, if you haven't already.
Take a look through the links section, as well, for information on other firms and their work.

Oct 5, 04 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

does anyone have the link to the map someone made with links to all the locations. the map was gray and white with numbers to clink as links to each firm??

Oct 5, 04 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Russell

alex terzich did it.

Oct 5, 04 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
aRimbaud

bz,

The job market is pretty tough here. I have been looking for work since June to no avail. It seems that the general idea is that few firms want to pay for entry level work even if you can get past the non-responsive people within the firms to actually get an interview. This is not what I expected upon moving up here...

There also seems to be a general stagnation...very few opportunities for work. Craigslist has the occasional job listing...perhaps you could look there for something that interests you.

As far as my personal job hunting experience, I have encountered few positives...I hope you do better than I could.

Good Luck.

Oct 6, 04 1:46 am  · 
 · 
sure2016

I found the aiany website to be pretty handy. I found some interesting firms in the archived design awards section. Good luck.

aRimbaud, you've been looking since June? Damn. Ive been looking since August. Its definitely a tough job market. Good luck.

Oct 6, 04 11:33 am  · 
 · 
kylemiller

any links to alex's map?

Oct 6, 04 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Christopher Connock

maybe the market has slowed recently, but i found a number of interested firms fairly easily when i was looking around march/april. i was applying out of state as well.

just send out as many resume/work samples as you can. i didn't cold call anyone, but if you have been looking for 4+ months it might be worth a shot. we have gotten a few and one of my principals has referred them to a friend he knew was hiring.

i am sure this has been mentioned before, but newyork-architects.com has plenty of openings on a regular basis. it also has a nice list of firms with images of current work/firm bios.

also - try submitting your resume to the aiany site. I received a good number of responses, from some interesting architects - louise braverman (great use of color, noble projects) was in the market 6 months ago.

anyway - sorry to hear that market is rough - good luck!

Oct 6, 04 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

43N88W

link

Oct 7, 04 12:52 am  · 
 · 
bz

Thank you all, guys! All the info you share is very helpful for which thanks again. The map is great! And thanks to Christopher for the possitive words. Going through job hunting might be tricky...It will be great if we can keep this dicussion open-to share more info and support. It looks like the market is really rough...

Oct 7, 04 5:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: