Archinect
anchor

Crap Towns

BOTS

Taken from Building Design (UK)

Luton is the ‘crappiest town in Britain‘ according to the Idler magazine. The long list for the Idler's new Crap Towns 2 book, to be published later this year, runs to more than 100. It is something when there are more than 100 UK towns that qualify for the title. Is this problem particular to Britain?

There is a web site (http://www.craptowns.com/) but I thought some decent negative venting could be handled by an Archinect discussion.

My top three.

1. London – technically a city, but a rude dirty hole all the same
2. Milton Keynes – urban sprawl infill around a grid and roundabout complex
3. Swansea – it's a shitty dump, compulsory analysis as I'm from Cardiff!

Oct 4, 04 11:39 am
A

I concur completely with the Gary Indiana nomination.

Oct 4, 04 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
worm

word to the city o lubbock, TX
this flat ass town is semi dry
meaning you have to drive 10-15 minutes to buy alcohol
it is also dry 1/2 the year and dust storms give you a happy helping of sand for lunch
it smells like cow/hog crap when the winds change and winter sucks!
also anytime it rains the streets flood because some idiot town planner thought it would be better to spend money on putting the damn liquer stores outside the city limits instead of digging storm drains like other civilized towns

it does however have some decentish music [not country] and a nice sunset

Oct 4, 04 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

get back to your classwork worm!!! oh, and everything he said about lubbock is true, but oddly enough i find myself missing it at times. I'd of never said that 2 years ago.

Oct 4, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
gustav

Ward, in that state of Colorado. Lack of storm drains is a blessing compared to what these people dish out.

Oct 4, 04 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Atlantic City is the grossest city in America.

Don't remember where I read it, but the comparison was made with Las Vegas:

Vegas is spending an amazing night with a gorgeous call girl in a luxury penthouse suite, and the next morning you wake up and find your wallet is gone.

Atlantic City is getting a blowjob in a dirty alley, then being knocked on the head to wake up and find...your wallet is gone.

Oct 4, 04 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

instead of your wallet, you could lose a kidney, that would definately make it worse.

Oct 7, 04 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

How about Slough?

Oct 8, 04 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

I would have to say that if Ohio is the armpit of amarica, gary indiana is most deffinitly the anus. That town is a nighmare of a place.

Oct 8, 04 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
DEtroit

I would have to partially agree with 'worm' although I have never personally visited Lubbock, I have worked with many from TTU that give it a wonderful preview.... sorry to you TTU grads but your architecture there is really, really, really bad (except for the stuff that is actually old). But that is more to do with the built environment...

On all around 'crap towns', then my vote would go to Flint, Michigan. And thanks to Michael Moore's recent coverage I won't have to go into too much detail to describe it. What has been televised is only the tip of the iceberg unfortunately…

-my 2 cents

Oct 8, 04 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

NY. nuf said.

Oct 8, 04 9:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: