Archinect
anchor

Architect vs. Certified professional building Designer

arivas208

I am interested in becoming a residential architect however I only have an associated degree in drafting and design through ITT Technical Institute (I know, not the best reputation) I am in a state where I can be qualified for the ARE exam through experience (after 8 years working experience) I currently have 1.5 years experience but I was recently laid off a local architectural firm. I also have about 4 years hands on construction experience as a carpenter. How hard is it to become an architect through experience? I noticed the firm I was working firm didn't have any sort of on the job training whatsoever and it was hard for me dealing with the administrative work and most coworkers seemed to be bothered when I asked for help. Another option I have is to become a certified professional building designer which has more leniant rules and regulations. Anybody familiar with this building designer certification? Anyone become an architect through experience? Any comments would greatly be appreciated!! (By the way I am in Boise,ID)

Nov 17, 08 6:49 pm
Antisthenes

Get started understanding the ARE tests from the NCARB site early and make sure to check what the IDP rules are, because the rules are changing for how you submit those.

oh yea, and find a job working for somebody with a stamp

I did this route but was unaware Idaho had that option too. I guess with so many baby boomer set to retire and their parents long out of the field and the lack of new talent, lowering the bar to be a professional with out a accredited degree will become more available.

Nov 17, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
narmer

I suggest you get signed up into IDP immediately and be very meticulous about keeping your training records current with NCARB. I've observed over the years that opportunities for people without professional degrees in architecture are largely being phased out. It is very important that you document when you began your internship so that you are grandfathered in the event that the laws in your state become more stringent.

Nov 18, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

because you can only submit 6 months of experience at a time and electronically come next year so get all your back dated IDP in NOW.

Nov 18, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Mystykaljello
http://www.ncarb.org/idp/index.html

From that page you can start your NCARB record. Remember if you are recently graduated (doesn't matter what degree, etc.) there is a student and young professional discount/payment plan. Good luck!!

Nov 19, 08 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

To answer this question - ALTHOUGH the forum thread is dated:

Certified Professional Building Designer is the certification status of someone passing the National Council of Building Designer Certification ( NCBDC ).

It is a certification NOT a license. Currently under any state law, it does not allow one to design buildings that an unlicensed person may design. It is a certification credential that will indicate that you have some certified knowledge and skill to perform the work.

Jul 11, 11 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: