Archinect
anchor

Employment in Europe

fenix

Hi all,
I would like to ask you for some advices and opinions. 

I recently completed the Master of Architecture in Serbia. However architecture here, and in the region in general, (with the exception of Slovenia) is in a very bad position. Not only that there is no work, but even if you get a job in the field you just can not call this "architecture". There is an incredible degradation of our profession. Of course there are many reasons why is this so, since the bad situation in the society, politics, the economy, etc., but that's not the point of my post.

Because of this whole situation I just do not see myself as an architect in this country, at least not for now. Also, I have to say that I have very little experience. I worked in one office on making models, maybe about a year and that's it. Simply, although I had an offers I did not want to do architecture in which I dont believe, I did not want to work in the degradation of profession. Perhaps this thinking is stupid to someone, but not to me, I have my beliefs which I respect. 

That's why I would like to know, what do you think, what can I expect when applying for a job somewhere else in Europe? Am I gonna be an intern or what? Can I be an architect (junior architect or something like that) if I dont have a licence and experience? And what kind of salary can I expect since I have no experience, is it enough for financial stability (I'm getting married soon :) )?

I hope you understand me and that you can help me. Thank you very much. :)

Sep 27, 13 9:48 am
fenix

Hi,

i found something interesting about architect positions in the US: http://archcareers.blogspot.com/2011/02/architect-position-titles.html

Is this same for Europe?

If yes, is this mean that if somebody doesnt have experiance he has to be first intern and than after tree years an architect?

Sep 27, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

Here in Germany, usage of the term architect is fairly loose (much different than in North America for instance), and generally those who hold a Dip.Ing. or M.Sc. Arch are for all intents considered architects. Membership in the state chamber of architects would be really necessary only if you wanted to truly work alone as your own firm, but is certainly not needed to be employed in an office as an architect or even to work as a freelancer.

The term intern (Praktikant/ Praktikantin) generally refers to those who are working as a part of their studies (ie. not yet graduated). They generally receive extremely low wages ("big-name" firms in Berlin pay for example, 600 euro/month), include no benefits/health care cover, etc.. The reality of our profession and the economy in general, is that plenty of graduated architects will apply for such jobs. 

Oct 1, 13 4:48 am  · 
 · 
fenix

Thank you for your comment

Oct 1, 13 5:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: