Archinect
anchor

Skyscraper

lifeform

I dont live in a city, and I have been out of touch with US architecture for years. But I am trying to find a good example of a RECENT skyscraper in america. Something with balls. All I can think of are those new towers at Times Square, but they arent too interesting. They are more rehashing the 1960s model of skyscraper.
Anything new in Chicago? SF? Atlanta? Miami?

Sep 28, 04 11:35 am
Jeremy

skyscraper...

... i love you

Sep 28, 04 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
superman

didn't anyone tell you??? They're all in Asia now!

Sep 28, 04 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
archidose

Can't say if this building has balls, but Skybridge is about the best recent skyscraper in Chicago.

Oct 1, 04 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

Not in America... but I dig Nouvel's towers.

The Agbar Torre in Barcelona is pretty amazing, saw it under construction last summer. Also the Qatar tower is pretty innovative in terms of skin. I actually worked in his office while this was in DD phase.

What I appreciate about Nouvel's towers is that they push the limits conceptually, and don't misuse the term high technology. Foster is guilty of this and in my opinion produces boring static towers. Norm
does the latest and greatest in terms of new materials and structural techniques but doesn't stop to ask why. That's like saying , "shit we got enough new technology to bring back the dinos, lets do it!" without thinking what's the best way to implement the dinos into our modern world. Next thing you know you got T-Rex nipping on your ass. Nouvel pushes techn. but in a way that makes since. For instance --most of our modern technology: cell phones, cars, computers, etc. are aimed at becoming smaller, less noticable. These things are doing away with the unneccessary and trying to free up our lives in terms of dealing with material objs. Nouvel regards the building industry in the same way--lets use tech. to make the building more transparent, literally in terms of the materiality, but also figuratively in terms of the way it impacts our daily interaction of a building. Foster takes every new-fangled knick knack and high tech do-dad and pastes them all over the building whether it needed it or not. This is sort of reversing the process of technological progression. This idea was Nouvels theme in the last Jerusalem Seminar on Architecture.

Also check out his proposed tower for La Defense in Paris, in my opinion this would have been the best in the world if it had been built.

Oct 1, 04 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

America in sort of a slump, most of the cool stuff is in asia and a few cool proposals in the UK. The Code Nast building in nyc would be my pick of a good recently completed skyscraper. True the design doesn't really have balls but for the scalloped celling in the lobby and all the intricate systems that make the building more environmentally sound. You might also want to check out the AOL-Time Warner tower, in columbus circle, and my favorite of the bunch, the Hearst Tower by Foster thats going up in NYC as we speak. Thats a design with balls! i love that building.

Oct 4, 04 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

dude...you spelled zep wrong. Z_E_P_P_E_L_I_N---That's the Way...

Oct 4, 04 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

dude ... maybe "Z_E_P_P_E_L_I_N" was already taken

Oct 4, 04 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

dude...the Song Remains the Same...you still mispelled zep. you didn't try zeppelin 100, or 200, or 4509876?

Oct 4, 04 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
zepplin100

I've had this name since AOL blessed me with it about 13 years ago, at a time when I was an avid Led Zeppelin fan. Apparently it was the best they could do at that time so I never took a bother to come up with anything else. It stuck with me for all these years so changing it never even crosses my mind.

Oct 4, 04 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

I hear ya. I just got rid of a horrible username that I had been stuck with for years: busboy77. this u-name was created by one of my friends when he set up an email account for me. I ran a bus stop sign earlier that week and got a fat ticket for it. My friend thought he was being funny, however the name stuck and I accidentally put it on my resume not thinking (because I was so used to it).

I was just giving you shit, and was intrigued by the name. I'm an avid Zep fan myself. It's good to see others...so "Thank You" for the clarification but now I must "Bring it on Home" and sign off.

Oct 5, 04 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: