Archinect
anchor

infrastructure project

Mason White

Looking for an example of a recent really good infrastructure project in the US/Canada and for some reason I can't think of anything. any help?

Does anyone know of a good recent infrastructure project, a bridge, a station, an airport?

Sep 28, 04 10:03 am
citizen

Big Dig in Boston

Sep 28, 04 10:13 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

mason,

i did a summer internship with these guys. they are a large civil firm with an architecture department that often assists with these projects. its some really great stuff, from an engineering perspective. they are the ones who did up the big dig, but also designed the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge which is its centerpiece

www.pbworld.com

Sep 28, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

cheers guys. though in a way the story of the big dig is more interesting than the proposal.

i am looking for something a bit less dirt and more elegant. something with some engineering guts to it. even a snazzy metro/subway station would do, but i cant seem to think of anything. anyone?

Sep 28, 04 11:29 am  · 
 · 
Jeremy

My brother in Boston tells me that the nice new tunnel FLOODED in a recent storm (hurricane leftovers), closing the whole deal down for a bit. I would have thought that coudl not happen.

"a bit less dirt and more elegant"

I cant think of anything more elegant than the empy space where the highway used to be though.. or that single tunnel snaking through a centuries worth of underground infrastructure big enough to drive through..

"elegant. something with some engineering guts to it"

are you just looking for beautiful forms.. that is the biggest engineering project in the US since the 50's... maybe you need to look more closely at it.

Sep 28, 04 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
horus

Mason,

I feel the following is a better example of elegant new infrastructure.

link

Sep 28, 04 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

horus - actually the new bay bridge is kinda bfugly isn't it? but calatrava(who I don't normally get impressed by) just did a nicely simple and really long-spanning new footbridge with a glass floor over the sacramento river in redding california, and there's that new water treatment plant in ny or connecticut by holl...

Sep 29, 04 3:18 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

this is what you want

http://www.wilkinsoneyre.com/

click on the 'bridges' icon under projects

Sep 29, 04 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

check out the project called Millau Viaduct
link

Sep 29, 04 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

sorry...
try again
link

Sep 29, 04 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

Thanks guys, but i know those UK/Europe projects already.
My problem is that I am looking for something local (US/Canada) ... but I guess somehow it proves one thing: that you have to go overseas to find good engineering and infrastructure projects.

C'mon there must be some good recent infrastructure in ths US ... something somewhere. Maybe not.

Sep 29, 04 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

horus:
that New Bay Bridge isnt built though, is it?

Sep 29, 04 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

hardly built. routed by over costs. not sure how interesting it will be anyway though either. calatrava's sundial bridge in redding is much more attractive and built, at thi point. but i guess we will have to wait and see how they are going to fund this thing.

I am trying to think of other examples for you, will post if i can come up with something.

Sep 29, 04 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

there were tons of great bridges on that pbworld site. what kind of infrastructure are you looking for?

Sep 30, 04 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

well, okay there were like 2 good ones

Sep 30, 04 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Mason White

thanks boss ...

though, i found something else ... somehow i had completely forgotten about these bad boys. they have a US presence now and have a bit of material to work with.

but still it seems the US is a bit weak in this regard: we dont design infrastructure, we just build it.

Sep 30, 04 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

some perspective:

Oct 1, 04 12:00 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

its too bad everyone is more interested in money than architecture to do some really interesting infrastructure design. almost obnoxious. its a downward spiral: i think if more americans were familiar with these sorts of things, they could justify spending the money on them. we should be sending more high school exchange students to the uk.

Oct 1, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bryan Finoki

Mason, not sure if this is what you are looking for but thought you might be curious of this profile.

Sudhir Jambhekar is one of five principals at the NYC firm of Fox & Fowle , who is busy these days as lead designer for the Second Avenue Subway Line in New York City, a $18-billion transportation project. He recently designed New York’s Midtown East Development Plan, a project to create a transportation hub around LaGuardia Airport.

Oct 4, 04 3:42 am  · 
 · 
le bossman
http://www.wilsonbridge.com/

can someone point out to me who is designing this incredibly beautiful bridge?

Nov 14, 04 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: