Archinect
anchor

Surrealism in Architecture

bRink

What implications does Surrealism have for Architecture and Design?

A method for creativity? A process of imagining? Or simply an outcome of realizing a design, something that just happens?

Can anybody think of examples of surreal a architecture / landscape?

Sep 24, 04 7:36 am
THREADS

of course...um I think this one guy in spain a few years ago...I haven't actually seen his stuff but I hear it's amazing....um...yeah...

Sep 25, 04 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Is Gaudi's work surreal? He was Dali's favorite architect... But what is it that makes it surreal?

Sep 26, 04 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

You should check out Tschumis book "Questions of Space" or something like that. deals very much with surrealism and several other isms of the last century. Interesting and more than skin-deep.

Sep 26, 04 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
thefauxed

isn't it quite difficult to make surreal architecture? as soon as you sit back with your first sunday bagel and paper, it's ordinary as pie. but, as trainspotting showed us, the loo is the womb of surreality.

Sep 26, 04 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Look at the work of Fredrick Keisler who was one of the listed Surrealists according to Andre Breton. Funny I did a essay on this about 10 years ago about the same topic. Your biggest challenge will be defining surrealism and then defining its manifestations - ready mades, sculpture etc.

Sep 27, 04 8:03 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

does anyone think that the architecture of john hejduk might qualify as surreal in some way? i'm specifically talking about victims, and maybe the architecture of love and medusa, as opposed to his houses based on the 9 square grid. his buildings seem, in a lot of ways, like an exploration into the bizarre, both as space and object.

Sep 27, 04 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Dazed and Confused

Welcome to Kevin Gardiner's World:
Sep 27, 04 11:53 am  · 
 · 
e909
loo is the womb of surreality.

mesmerized by the swirl?

Sep 27, 04 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
e909

i don't think you can have surreality once you make an attempt to convert it to 3d.

so, next question:
Can anybody think of examples of superreal architecture / landscape? I think this question is best reflected toward pixelwhore...

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/photorealism.html

Sep 27, 04 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

e909 - I think you are mistaken both Cubism and Surrealism are easily expressed in 3d (think scultpure). Remember they are more about perception that depection

Oct 1, 04 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

aldo rossi's work dealt w/ the surreal- he was heavily influenced by de chirico

Oct 1, 04 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

i think surrealism deals with the subconcious world which means not of the real world that we live in. that is what surrealism tries to achieve and I think surrealism implemented into architecture wouldn't achieve what the actual goal of surrealism is. But yes, I would agree, it would be very cool to be in a world of surrealism.

Oct 1, 04 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
wangsta

Lebbeus Woods my friend...course he doesn't get much built.

Surrealist art deals with the presence of the subconscious. For architecture this could be interpreted in a couple of ways. One possible, and most obvious, is expressing this idea in the physical design. This is problematic however, since design by definition means making a conscious decision to a given problem. The minute you try to think of how to communicate or materialize something subconscious, it's no longer SUBconscious, in fact its more than just concious, it's hyperconcious because it occupies most of your immediate thoughts. Of course Dali and the like did just this--conciously expressed their sub thoughts through painting. However their expressions remained true to their thoughts. This would be difficult in arch. because the original thought will go through many filters: Schem Design, DD, CD, CA and all that bullshit and eventually get value engineered out! Plus, the fact that arch is not created by one being means that the original thought will be tainted (and no longer SUB) after it is introduece to and interpreted by other team members.

I hate to be so pescimistic about this and this is just my anti view. I'm sure their is a way to relate the two, but for now I've got to get back to my exciting conciousness and draw a planter detail--son of a bitch! Maybe I'll post later and argue the opposite angle. cool topic, mad props

Oct 1, 04 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Have you seen Libbeus? (at SCI-Arc)

Oct 2, 04 12:54 am  · 
 · 
bRink

What about the value of Dali's paranoid-critical method in design? A juxtaposition of two objects, extraneous to each other in order to induce the creation of something new?

Oct 2, 04 6:39 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Has anybody saw some of Dali's drawings of visions of the future? They're surreal (like a lobster that is a telephone) but if you make some sense of them and read some of his thoughts on what he drew, they are amazingly prophetic of the future of technology, etc...

Oct 2, 04 6:47 am  · 
 · 
Per Corell
BOTS

Q. How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. Pink

Oct 4, 04 11:09 am  · 
 · 
danimal

i would check out le corbusier's apartment for charles de beistegui from c.1930 in paris. his client was really into surrealist artwork and wanted le corbusier to carry this through to his apartment. i don't remember much about the apartment that was very true to surrealism save for the garden roof...

Oct 5, 04 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Reverb

Bruce Goff

Oct 5, 04 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i believe bots has stumbled on the true answer to the questions of surrealism in architecture.

Oct 8, 04 4:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: