Archinect
anchor

CANE DETECTION GUARD SUBSTITUTE

bentropy

hey all

does anyone know if the 27" max rail to block off overhead hazards for the visually impaired can be substituted with a curb? does the rail have a min height?

Jul 21, 08 3:33 pm
el jeffe

ansi a117 doesn't specify a minimum but it does use the words "guardrail or other barrier"
it'll be an interpretation question for the code official as to whether a 4" curb is a barrier.

Jul 21, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

It has been done. As El Jeffe sez, it is subject to the whims of the authority having jurisdiction. Shudder. Frank. O. Gehry, FAIA, got away with negative "floor braille" at the Disney Concert Hall. And I can't imagine that it would work as intended.

Jul 21, 08 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

janosh - nice call on the disney hall...
the concrete is [hammered?] where the wall angles out
here's a pic for those that haven't seen it...

i've seen short rails,OMA's seattle library has them

Jul 22, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
bentropy

holz, you are by far the most helpful poster in the history of archinect. keep on rockin.

Jul 22, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i think it's the only thing that lets me stay sane...

Jul 22, 08 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

Calatrava's Milwaukee Art Museum has probably the most elegant cane detection I've ever seen:

Here's tricky with wheelchair access for a grade change, but still pretty sweet:

Jul 22, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
ross

have seen a school where the bottom few risers and area under the upper steps was cast from concrete. not more than about 18 inches high. the rest of the staircase was wood and steel. made for a decent bench below the stairs. not sure of the project. wasn´t anyone that well known.

also, at steven holl´s MIT housing, there is a low metal rail that doubles as a magazine rack. not necessarily elegant, but it passes.

Jul 23, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: