Archinect
anchor

Gluing together large topography with spray adhesive

Thecyclist
I'm currently gluing topography layers that are moderately large. The spray adhesive I'm using now sticks immediately-I cannot slide the layer around to position it (3m super 77).

Does anyone know of a specific type if spray adhesive that would give me a few seconds to adjust the layer? Or an easy method to line up the layers?

I appreciate any help!

Jun 26, 13 7:13 pm
Sarah Hamilton

You didn't mention what materials you are glueing.  If it's heavy paper/cardboard, why don't you just use white glue?

Jun 26, 13 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
afx4

i used to use super77 for topos all the time,

this was my slightly odd ritual:
hold the topo sheet further away when spraying
wave around a bit to attract a thin layer of dust and decrease tack
then position on the stack (helps if one side is a clean edge)
decreased tack allows you to re-adjust if necessary
finally apply pressure across surface to seal the deal

Jun 26, 13 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
good details

I always found good ole fashioned Elmer's glue to do the job just fine.  That stuff is damn strong.

Jun 26, 13 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Thecyclist
I'm using chipboard. Thanks for the tips! Please keep 'em coming.
Jun 26, 13 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

cyclist - i use both 77 and glue. the key for me is to align one edge with small dowel sticks under the others to keep it suspended as i position it. i go around the edges, removing the sticks as i align it. 

like the combination of glue and 77 better than 77 alone because we're in a high humidity area. humidity will kill the 77 alone...

Jun 26, 13 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

always hated elmers for chipboard. water based glues always curls the topo. get two people to help.

Jun 26, 13 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Sobo or no go

Jun 26, 13 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

^ Agreed. Non-toxic, fast drying. Spray glue is horribly toxic to you and the environment. Get an old set of Sweet's catalog to use as clamps.

Jun 26, 13 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

have you tried ATG?  It is a great product made by 3M (and copycats) - like the advesive from tape without the backing material- really flexible, good for curvy things, and super strong (although I like to add just a few dots of elmer's here and there, but not enough to buckle anything.) Puts regular double sided tape to shame.

Jun 27, 13 12:40 am  · 
 · 
jenfour6

Hello, one trick that you might want to try is right after you put the glue on, try sprinkling a little water on it that way you can slide the layer as soon as you put it down.  That should help it slide without tearing or sticking, but it shouldn't get too watered down to where it's not sticky anymore.

May 5, 14 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Try the version that is made by 3M that is the 90. I purchased some and noticed that it would not adhere as fast like the 77. It comes in a green can. It adheres good but is much more malleable for the time you need.

May 6, 14 1:38 am  · 
 · 
square

Seriously. Just use Sobo.

May 6, 14 8:23 am  · 
 · 
mszczere
Tacky glue does the trick for me
May 6, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I like Sobo/Elmers (let it dry out a bit before use - base of ply then the chip minimizes 'curling; spreading the Sobo with a popsicle stick to a thin layer made for much quicker drying. Clamp or weigh down evenly with old Sweets using scraps to make up for voids to hold lower pieces in place.  Too much trouble in the past for me with the 77 giving out over time.

May 7, 14 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

Aleene's Original Tacky Glue is the best. It is a little dryer than Elmers or Sobo so it doesn't curl the paper yet it doesn't stick immediately so you have time to reposition the layers.

May 7, 14 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

White glue... use very little or it will take a long time to dry.. then use pins or mini clips/clamps to hold it down until it dries

May 7, 14 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
batman

i think anything we do as humans is bad for the environment.

we just dont get the picture at all.

May 7, 14 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: