Archinect
anchor

Considering a minor to go with my B.Arch degree

Victoria_

Hello everyone! I'm attending Syracuse in the fall for my B.Arch and also considering pursuing a minor to go with my degree. My main interest would have to be Art History, but I would also consider a minor in Psychology, Photography, or International Studies. My only problem is I'm trying to see if even these minors are useful to have when applying for Architect jobs. A lot of people say Business is a good minor to have with Arch, but to be honest I'm not really into economics and courses that make up the minor for business so I don't think I would really like doing that.

My question is though, if I get a minor in something I enjoy is it hindering me at all from getting a job in the future? Or does anyone else have any suggestions for minors to go with Arch?

May 30, 13 11:42 pm
LITS4FormZ
I earned a minor in horticulture, it's helped me only a handful of times. If I were going to do it all over again I'd go for accounting, Mandarin/Portugese/Spanish or computer science...Sorry, I know those are the exact opposite of the choices you listed.

It really depends on what your professional goals are but many employers will not get too excited over those minors. However, speaking a foreign language or the ability to code will get you the job.
May 31, 13 12:18 am  · 
 · 
jaredlussier

Victoria

I am currently working on my B.Arch and I am minoring in Psychology. Do that. Psychology and the human mind and perception of space a huge factors in architectural design. My school has a class specifically about the psychology of space. That is my suggestion.

Being a student myself, I can't say whether or not employers will look at a minor degree too heavily - but it can only help. When I tell professionals in the field that I am minoring in psych, they tend to react positively (especially the architects themselves).

A few books that I would suggest are:

• The Hidden Dimension by Edward T. Hall
  • Personal Space by Robert Sommer
  • A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander

Beyond understanding environmental psychology, understanding all fields of psychology is important in architectural design because you are designing FOR the human.

Jared

May 31, 13 12:18 am  · 
 · 
lukepannozzo

Hi Jared,

I'm an arhcitecutre student that is considering minoring in psychology. I realize this post is many years old, but I was wondering if you would still reccomend this minor, a different minor, or no minor at all. Not sure if you'll see this, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks. 

- Luke

Jul 29, 22 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

you are designing FOR the human

No you're not. You're designing for fame and fortune. Get it straight.

May 31, 13 9:00 am  · 
 · 
square

to be blunt, I think it's a waste of your time. you'll be busy enough with architecture, why add more class loads? if you're interested in something else, read a book about it instead of paying for more credits. you could also use the extra time to do normal college related activities outside of classwork... I think there's a pretty decent basketball team at your school.

May 31, 13 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Victoria_

Square: Actually pursuing a minor at SU doesn't require for me to take any extra courses. In fact, I'm already coming in with 30 credit hours from AP classes where I already have all my Gen Ed stuff out of the way so when I start in the fall I could take a class to count towards a minor along with my other Arch classes. I only plan on taking 15 credits a semester as well.  Nothing will cost extra.

LITS4FormZ: I've only taken a few years of French but I couldn't see that as helpful to have a minor in as the other languages you listed, but thanks for the suggestions though!

Jared: I'll look more in to a minor in Psychology.

May 31, 13 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Business.  About 6 or 7 classes make for a minor.  Practical not only to understand how your clients and your office work, but also for managing your personal affairs.  And it's definitely offered at Syracuse.

Take the languages for fun during the summer at a community college or something.  You could never get deep enough with a minor to use them for conducting business.

May 31, 13 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: