Archinect
anchor

any large US firms bought by chinese firm recently?

cmrhm

I heared either SOM or KPF is the target? Rumor?

Apr 23, 13 9:25 pm
Given

I highly doubt the veracity of this, but it did get me thinking about it. Would there even be a motive for an asian firm to buy out a western firm? What would they get out of that that they cant already get by enticing western architects to move to china, which already happens in droves right now. There is always a kind of desire amongst asian firms to get western work, but only on the condition that they can do the design work in their local offices so that they can make a huge profit on the fee/salary difference. If you buy out a huge western firm you still have to deal with their razor thin profit margins... I just dont see the rationale. Maybe someone else has some more interesting thoughts on this though.

Apr 24, 13 10:33 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

they would get the firm's clients.

Apr 24, 13 11:19 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

I'm with Given. I don't see it. Doesn't make any business sense.

Now, if it was a Chinese group targeting acquisition of a global A/E/C firm, I'd pay a lot more attention to that rumor.

Apr 24, 13 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

The Chinese don't have to buy foreign companies when they can simply undercut them by 75% or more. They are also flooding the construction labor market.

Apr 24, 13 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

I know some firms in shanghai is buying some small american firms. But two days ago, a local art curator told me SOM was bought by a chinese firm. This shocked me. I wish this isn't true. Currently, most chinese people don't have capability to understand US designs.

Yah, some of you guys might be right. AEC firm would be their target.

Miles: what do you mean this ?  --- "The Chinese don't have to buy foreign companies when they can simply undercut them by 75% or more."

Apr 24, 13 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

fucking xenophobes....

cmrhm, you're a racist.

Apr 24, 13 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
cmrhm

what? just because I said this "Currently, most chinese people don't have capability to understand US designs.".  Sorry, I didn't have time to make myself clearer at that time. I will see if any people agree with me then I will go from there.

Apr 25, 13 1:59 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

yes.

i've worked with several chinese developers in new york city.

they are neither better nor worse than the average american developer.

you're a bigot.

Apr 25, 13 7:55 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

bigot (n.) 1590s, "sanctimonious person, religious hypocrite," from French bigot (12c.), of unknown origin. Earliest French use of the word is as the name of a people apparently in southern Gaul, which led to the now-doubtful, on phonetic grounds, theory that the word comes from Visigothus. The typical use in Old French seems to have been as a derogatory nickname for Normans, the old theory (not universally accepted) being that it springs from their frequent use of the Germanic oath bi God. But OED dismisses in a three-exclamation-mark fury one fanciful version of the "by god" theory as "absurdly incongruous with facts." At the end, not much is left standing except Spanish bigote "mustache," which also has been proposed but not explained, and the chief virtue of which as a source seems to be there is no evidence for or against it.

In support of the "by God" theory, as a surname Bigott, Bygott are attested in Normandy and in England from the 11c., and French name etymology sources (e.g. Dauzat) explain it as a derogatory name applied by the French to the Normans and representing "by god." The English were known as goddamns 200 years later in Joan of Arc's France, and during World War I Americans serving in France were said to be known as les sommobiches (see also son of a bitch). But the sense development in bigot is difficult to explain. According to Donkin, the modern use first appears in French 16c. This and the earliest English sense, "religious hypocrite," especially a female one, might have been influenced by beguine and the words that cluster around it. Sense extended 1680s to other than religious opinions.

Apr 25, 13 10:51 am  · 
 · 
med.

"I heared either SOM or KPF is the target? Rumor?"

No way that would ever happen.

Apr 26, 13 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: