Archinect
anchor

Super tall

Oysters and Trifle

treekiller, it looks like at that scale, the transportation systems to/from and within a super tall are going to have to be rethought from a clean sheet of paper.

The image I can't get out of my head is one of Theo Jansen's contraptions, but with sticky feet carrying people up and down the side of the skyscaper and powered by the updrafts, kinda like giant seamonkey's all over the surface of the building. That's so much better than the idea of mag lev surfboarding to work over exsisting freeways on the energy created by the exercise equipment from all the fitness gyms.

Feb 24, 08 1:05 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

theo's work would be amazing scaled up to even 100 feet tall...

just remembered this thread about the failed 105 story hotel in Pyongyang. bad concrete mix...

Feb 24, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallest_building]wikipedia['s tallest building article/url]

Feb 25, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

let me explain something to you:

1) flying is terrifying. believe me, i do it often. why so? well for one thing, you're not in control, and for another you're strapped to a missle going mach 12 through the fringes of outer space. need i say more? well, there's Flight 587, where the engines and rudder tore off mid flight. what an awful way to die or how about TWA Flight 800, which exploded in mid-air. these and others are classic examples of business as usual meets horrific death. everyone thinks it can't happen to them. but sooner or later, it must happen to somebody. these poor people. jesus. because of this, i haven't been able to sleep on a plane since the mid-90's. i'm sorry but if i never had to fly again, i'd be fine with that. and why do they give us a floatation device instead of a parachute? and why does the bag on the mask not inflate? probably because it's just a 5 cent yellow solo cup.

on a flight from chicago to new york in 2006, i experienced an aborted takeoff due to a "red light malfunction" during the high-speed taxi, according to the pilot. he made us get off the plane, but i'm certain that we came close to death as we nearly took off.

as i side note, i get freaked out driving on mountain roads, which i often do. a few years back i had a break line blow out in traffic, and my e-brake didn't work. good thing i still had a steering wheel or i'd be dead. imagine if this happened above a thousand-foot cliff.

Up in the sky it's a bird
It's a plane - yeah it's a plane
I'm not afraid to fly, I'm not afraid
Yeah, I guess I'm afraid

Fear is a good thing
It teaches us humility
And it can keep us sane
So I'll fly if I have to
But if I could, I'd take the train

Livin' away from home
On the road all time
Ah, all the time
Driving up and down
And back and forth
No reason or rhyme
Yeah, you guessed right
Makes a grown man confront his fears
Consider options he'd normally decline
I'm gonna buy my ticket to fly
I'm gonna fly, I'm gonna fly

Strap me in tie me down
And roll me a bone
I'm gettin' on an airplane
And I'm flying home
Strap me in tie me down
I'm learning to fly
Drivin' 'cross the country
I get too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
I don't want to die
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Yeah!

(Removed Verse)*

Yeah they'll fly me so high
Twenty/Thirty thousand
That's pretty high
When they take off my chest sinks
My ears pop
I pray
I lie
I think about the network news
To torture myself
And to pass the time
Hear tell my seat cushion is a floatation device
Pray to god they ain't lying

Strap me in tie me down
And roll me a bone
I'm gettin' on an airplane
And I'm flying home
Strap me in tie me down
I'm learning to fly
Drivin' 'cross the country
I get too fucking high

(Too fucking high)
I don't want to die
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Yeah!

(Jam)

(Too fucking high)
I don't wanna die
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high
(Too fucking high)
Too fucking high - high - high - high - high - high!
(Too fucking high)
Yeah!

2) yes, the view was nice, but what if the john hancock building fell down when we were in it? a logical question. it would probably be highly likely if a bad enough, errant earthquake occured somewhere in the midwest, and we know this happens. it also occurred to me that on September 11, people actually jumped this far to escape horrific flames, which is frighteningly depressing. i think that, for psychological reasons, they should definitely put a guardrail in front of the window. i just had visions of my girlfriend triping over her chair and then the chair, table, and her fall hundreds of feet to the pavement below. and hey, there's also that elevator cord-snapping thing.

i'm sorry but let's be honest: it wasn't enough for us to steal fire from the gods, but we had to steal the sky too. we will probably be punished.

Feb 25, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

and i'm dead serious man. i don't like fuckin flying, or tall buildings. and i used to sling red iron.

Feb 25, 08 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Do you need some prozac, bossman?

Feb 25, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Gazprom on Inhabitat

claims to be sustainable. At least the double ventilated facade is creating habitable spaces...

Feb 25, 08 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
inhabitat

shows off the latest mile high bird feeder for london pigeons by populararchitecture.

Feb 29, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 

that's cute. hehe.

oh, wait, you mean they're not kidding?!

Feb 29, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'm 6'5" - that's sort of tall.

Feb 29, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Le Boss, that made my belly ache. I suppose when oil hits $200/barrell you'll be laughing at us who want to fly. Stick to your guns, and the groundscrapers.

tk - hopefully I'll see SH on Monday. We are taking some potentially very boring people, but the ones I have mentioned are the best kind of riot.

I'll post from the CTBUH2008 Tall & Green from Monday. I'm just waiting for the limousine to the business class to the five star...

Feb 29, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

PsyArch, I don't have a confirmation yet for the boss, but he is traveling today for a brief layover at the home office this weekend. Hope he takes you up for the dinner invite. Your presentation looks very interesting - always interesting to see life cycle numbers...

Feb 29, 08 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

It's all good stuff in the model. Parts of it are being presented in Munich by the Architects on the team yesterday and today at an ArchiGeek conference. For Tuesday we'll have one of the modellers in Dubai. The lifecycle figures are all good, the issue being that to a developer (in any industry) the time taken to break even is generally five years or under, and any predictions after that are discounted to Net Present Value. Thus, whatever the 55 year predictions are, however much the operational costs might dwarf the construction costs, £$ saved today is more important than £$ spent tomorrow (or 40 years hence). This is true in any project.

Understanding the responsibility to the lifecycle, and finding people within the value chain to whom it matters, to whom that understanding can be (£$) valuable, is challenging. This is why it takes legislation to make it happen. It's just a shame the lawmakers tend not to understand the technicalities, and indeed suffer in one way or another from the same short-sightedness as the developers. This in that their career path and need for recognition in the present outweigh their commitment to the future.

From there on it gets into moral philosophy.

Would breeders build tall?

Feb 29, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Would you guys like us to leave you alone?

Mar 1, 08 1:27 am  · 
 · 

:D

Mar 1, 08 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

"One of these days, they're going to kill 10,000 in one of these firetraps."

listen to Chief O'Hallorhan...

Mar 1, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

CTBUH 2008 starts in 9 hours. internet access at the hotel is $1/minute, which is extortionate. However, the spa is free. I'll spend more time on the latter until my return.

Mar 2, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: