Archinect
anchor

Relocating

jap

Trying to figure out my chances of a paid relocation. Has anyone negotiated this in their job search? Details would be appreciated.

Sep 8, 04 10:50 am
madcarrot

I believe if you itemize your taxes you can claim some of your moving expenses, as long as the move is job related. I did this once, but I had an accountant do all of the paperwork. May help a bit if the new employer won't ....

Sep 8, 04 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I've gotten deductions, also, but also via accountant.

Good luck getting an employer to pay! But worth a shot, I suppose, if you can line something up without being there.

Sep 8, 04 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
truth

i've had an employer pay a couple grand to move to NYC(i had very few things) they were in the retail design market and it was no problem, not very happy when i left eight months later. Typically there would be a contract to include returning the moving expenses if you choose not to stay, but they never got around to that.
As for the write offs, not that tough, you'll just need to file a couple extra forms, it has to be for work, and you have to stay a certain amount of time in the new location. Just itemize your deductions...unless tax laws have changed in the last 5 years.
Anyways, in order to get someone to pay your expenses you'll need leverage, most wouldn't pay for an intern to relocate after school, but if you are specialized and have what they really need, you can talk them into it. Play a little hard ball.

Sep 8, 04 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
Ormolu

I've tried to get relocation expenses from employers twice and been successful once. In the successful case the firm reimbursed for moving expenses, travel expenses and accomodations for a few days of apartment hunting, and the fees from the phone and utility companies for new accounts.

I've noticed that people who manage to negotiate relocation expenses most frequently are people with spouses and/or children. Also, they're most often experienced people - i.e. generally registered or at least past the internship phases.

A lot of employers these days specifically state in their ads that they won't pay for relocation, and I also know quite a few architects who have a bias against people who are relocating in the first place - the general feeling seems to be that it can be a big hassle to arrange interviews and to negotiate well long-distance, and also that it's easier to judge the previous experience of people who've been employed locally since the employer is probably more familiar with those firms and with the applicant's references...

As far as the tax deduction: there's a simple form to fill out, and doesn't require an accountant to figure out (not that I'm criticizing the use of an accountant's expertise.) Claiming the moving deduction doesn't necessarily require you to fully itemize your taxes - you can take the standard deduction and still claim the moving deduction (kind of similar to the way that you can take the student loan interest deduction.) You have to move to somewhere that is at least a certain number of miles away AND that is further away from your old home and job than your old home was from your old job (did you get that?) In other words you can't get any deduction for a local move, even if somehow required by your job.
You can't deduct job search expenses in this category - though you can deduct them in another category if you do fully itemize...

Sep 8, 04 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: