Archinect
anchor

Galleria West by UN Studio

Gotan

Nice project added to the Gallery

UN Studio a-la-Vegas...

any clue on other pictures of this project...
my google research didn't fing anything related

Sep 8, 04 9:10 am
delicrafts

A friend of mine sent me a photo of Galleria West, then I posted it. I've not yet been there, but am planning to visit this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to post some more pics then.

Sep 8, 04 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

I would love to see that
where it is located?

Sep 8, 04 11:25 am  · 
 · 
delicrafts

Apgujeong-dong, the trendiest commercial district in Seoul, Korea. I'll tell you more with pics later.

Sep 9, 04 10:51 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I guess that it is built???? I couldnt tell if those pics were computer generated or real.

Is the fascade made up of some type of plasma / LCD product???

Sep 9, 04 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

and the UN STudio website doesn't state any Galleria West....

Sep 9, 04 11:31 am  · 
 · 
juan moment

Yeah, it's an interesting project, but I find Christian Möller's work more interesting. I think there are some smaller similar projects like them in Japan.

http://www.christian-moeller.com/display.php?project_id=30&pointer=12
http://users.design.ucla.edu/projects/arc/cm/cm/staticE/page18.html

Sep 9, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
delicrafts

The Galleria West was built at the beginning of September, a friend of mine who took the photo said.

At the lecture of Ben van Berkel earlier this year, he mentioned about the Galleria Project at the end of the lecture, which is going to be the first realized work in Asia. I actually saw some more images - of course all computer-generated ones - at his lecture, but I couldn't get any details of it, becasue the project was under development at that time then he couldn't talk much about it.

According to what he said, the facade is changing constantly day and night, and it's composed of more than 4,000(?) special glass discs with some kind of foils, which wrap up the existing wall of the building like scale of fish. In daytime, the glass discs reflect sunlight in various color. At night, a sort of special lighting system devised by UN Studio and Aruplighting illuminates the glass discs by reflecting the dynamics of the conditions during daytime.

Sep 10, 04 3:14 am  · 
 · 
mdler

sounds like dichroic glass

Sep 10, 04 11:14 am  · 
 · 
rogier

Yes it is dichroic glass, or at least glass coated with a foil with a dichroic character. Yes there are more pictures available, we will see what we can upload. There is very good imagery available.

Yes it is built, the photos are real.

The controls will be accessible over the internet in the future. For authorized users only of course, but imagine the possibilities of this technology for a building where one decides to make the controls publicly available in some form....

Any questions? We'll be glad to answer.

Rogier van der Heide IALD
Lighting designer / system developer for UN Studio's Galleria West
Arup Lighting Amsterdam - London - New York

Sep 30, 04 3:20 am  · 
 · 
simonecollon

dear all, interested in the Galleria,

I have uploaded our photos and project description of the building to the image gallery - hopefully they will be published soon.

Simone Collon
designer _ ARUPLighting, Amsterdam

Sep 30, 04 6:07 am  · 
 · 
Gotan

Seems like a great project!
I am looking forward to see this,
thanks!

Any ARUP Lighting presence in Canada?

Sep 30, 04 9:51 am  · 
 · 
rogier

Arup Lighting is a group operating globally, out of a few of Arup's offices. The Seoul project is entirely developped by the Amsterdam based lighting design studio. You can contact me through Arup's Amsterdam Office phone number which is +31 20 305 8500. Or send an email by clicking on my name in this forum and then choose "email" in the member profile. Thanks for your compliments! Rogier.

Sep 30, 04 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Mason White

Great.
Thanks for contributing and getting Arup invovled.

Rogier,
When you say that the "controls will be accessible over the internet" what do you mean? Do you mean that the ability to turn them on and off as well as change their intensity and color are able to be altered remotely? What technology did you use to support that?

Oct 1, 04 11:33 am  · 
 · 
rogier

Mason, we can change and update the lighting scenes anyhow we like or even upload an entire new program.
We use for that one of the commercially available tools that are typically used by IT helpdesks to take over your computer when you can't find that printer or don't know how to configure something.
If you are interested, look for instance into PCAnywhere by Symantec.

Anything that we can do locally, we can do remotely. We can for instance upload a .avi file (windows media file) containing video and the control system converts that to information that is sent to the light fixtures. Sounds very technical, but it's actually a great tool because that way we could create our imagery in any program we like to use.

Rogier.

Oct 1, 04 11:52 am  · 
 · 
construct

interesting to the eyes....interesting material....but......one word....LITEBRITE....:-)

Oct 1, 04 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
rogier

Construct, it's a shopping mall. By the way, each 850 mm. diameter glass disk typically is exposed to no more than 2 Watt of light. The issue is that digital cameras tend to get stressed photographing the light of diodes (LED). The colours are in a relatively narrow bandwith of the spectrum, which gives too saturated images. I now have photographs that are done on slide film. Much more subtle, many more gradient colours, a much more subdued image as the project is in real. I can't publish them on the web (copyrights) but I can email any of you a low res version if you like.

Rogier.

Oct 16, 04 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: