Archinect
anchor

1 year around the world trip.... where to go??

Kai

I'm taking a round the world trip with a friend when we graduate. we're planning on an entire year and we'd like to hit a bunch of different places. I'd like some suggestions on where to go, not neccessarily specific buildings (that's ok too) but more like interesting cities and culture from every continent, and reasons why those cities are so great and what to do well I'm there. thanks a lot

Sep 5, 04 10:03 pm
MADianito

first of all...if ur asking where to go, i dont think ur ready for it...but anyways...maybe u already have a plan and u r just asking in case ur missing something...

what it comes to my mind inmediately is Berlin...i had such a great time on my time there, and it was a place i didnt expected too much from, but turned out as a great place (even with the german language!, lol), so if u were not considering, start considering Berlin

Sep 5, 04 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
wyoming81

I concur with MADianite. Easily my favorite city I have been to in Europe, maybe anywhere. A little Paris, a little Moscow and losts of history. Arch ain't too bad either. Its been a little while but I am sure that old East Berlin still has the dynamic edge to it. Also try St. Petersburg and Cape Town.

Sep 6, 04 12:26 am  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

Go to China. there is so many different variety of anything throughout the country so don't limit yourself just to Shanghai, Beijing, or Hong Kong (although they are very fun).

Sep 6, 04 1:20 am  · 
 · 
Kai

yeah, we've got a general plan but there's still fin tuning to do and hearing other peoples experiences is always extremely helpful, thank you and more would be great

Sep 6, 04 1:26 am  · 
 · 
nihceee

it doesn't count as round the world if you don't go to the other end, i.e. australia. it'd be interesting to see how similar and different it is to the US.

Sep 6, 04 3:52 am  · 
 · 
joek

go to Vietnam and Cambodia for fantastic people eager to share their tragic stories, it will open your eyes and minds to things we will never understand. I cannot explain, just go.

go to Malaysia - Kuala Lumpur for an interesting blend of Chinese, Indian, Western and traitional Malay culture all in one city and the east coast lslands for the traditional village way of life set alongside beautiful beaches and amazing diving.

go to Dubai for the sheer amount of money and astounding architectural projects, let the mind boggle.

Sep 6, 04 4:59 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Yea and make sure and do the Americas (latin, south and the Caribbean) - tends to be overlooked but historically predates "everything" in the US. Worth looking at old cities Havana, Port of Spain, and really old buildings, Stolmeyers and Colbeck Castles.

Sep 6, 04 10:39 am  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

temples too - Hindu, Aztec, Maya etc. Teohotican in Mexico is HUGE and so beautiful, similarly those in Belize

Sep 6, 04 10:42 am  · 
 · 
blank

i would check out saint petersburg. might even want to check out the world heritage sites list to get some ideas- that is if youre looking for cultural/historical locales vs architectural.

Sep 6, 04 11:46 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

hit Chiapas in Mexico...best state of Mexico, jungle, desert, mountain, beaches, u have it all: Agua Azul Waterfalls, Misol-Ha waterfalls, Palenque (the best archological site of mexico, my own opinion), Montebello Lagoons, San Cristobal de las Casas, and the small villages of San Juan Chamula and Zinancantan (full with mystic beleifs, and traditions that comes directly from mayas).

do also Mexico city just for the fun of it!

Sep 6, 04 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I definitely agree with the Americas comment. Some of the best trips I've been on have been in Belize, Costa Rica, Guatemala. I also suggest Indonesia. Bali is a bit played out, so try some of the other islands to the east. It can get a bit rough out there; think Mosquito Coast. If you speak the language, I'd also suggest southern Japan.

Sep 6, 04 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
ElTomas

I would suggest you go to Spain.. great Architecture, historic and modern.. great people, landscapes, food, music, and atmospheres..beware though if you go you may stay!!!

Sep 9, 04 2:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: