Archinect
anchor

"Archinecter" or "Archinector"?

squaresquared
Po-tay-to or po-tah-to?

I'm in favor of "archinecter", personally. Like "farmer", it seems like it's more correct.

From my dictionary:

-er 1 |?r| suffix 1 denoting a person, animal, or thing that performs a specified action or activity : farmer | sprinkler. 2 denoting a person or thing that has a specified attribute or form : foreigner | two-wheeler. 3 denoting a person concerned with a specified thing or subject : milliner | philosopher. 4 denoting a person belonging to a specified place or group : city-dweller | New Yorker.

-or 1 suffix (forming nouns) denoting a person or thing performing the action of a verb, or denoting another agent : escalator | governor | resistor. ORIGIN from Latin, sometimes via Anglo-Norman French -eour or Old French -eor (see also -ator , -itor) .

What's the consensus?

Jul 31, 07 7:46 am

I like tumbleweed's coinage: archinecteur.

Jul 31, 07 8:08 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

That's great! I haven't seen it in use. Prouvé and Le Corbusier would approve.

Jul 31, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 

i've changed from archinecter to archinector after taking note that archinect is based on the root word 'connect' and the appropriate suffix for 'connect' is '-or' = 'connector'.

Jul 31, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
squaresquared

Good point, Steven. But 'necter sounds like nectar, which seems pretty sweet to me.

Jul 31, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I bounce back n forth with -teur and -tor

Jul 31, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

also, since i, like you, am performing the action of archinecting, i believe that i, like you, am an archinector.

Jul 31, 07 11:23 am  · 
 · 
simples

i think the term "archinecteur" should only apply to those with over 1000 comments.

all archinecteurs are archinectors. But not all archinectors are archinecteurs.

Jul 31, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i agree 100% with SW. it's about being a connector. although i am somewhat partial to the classier version archinecteur, though it shouldn't be limited to those with 1000 posts or more.

i say...s/he who calls themself an archinecteur shall be one, but in proper parlance, we're all simply archinectors.

Jul 31, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
montu

"Archinecter" or "Archinector"?

Late to this one but Paul P is the Archinector.
We are all Archinecters.

Jul 31, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
simples

i thought paul p and his crew were "archinecticians"
(i was really sad when they stopped being "pimps" and stopped "pimping architecture since 199...7(?)"

Jul 31, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

what about
'necters ?

Jul 31, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

Or..Archinecta....?

Jul 31, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
cf

If you ar stressing "connect", then wouldn't it be "connector": Archinector?

Jul 31, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

archinecteur / archinecteuse

(pl. archinecteurs / archinecteuses)

Jul 31, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
filo

archinector sounds like the bad child of the terminator ...
so definetly archinecter

Aug 2, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
stephanie

i'm with steven ward on this topic and propose an archinector vs. archineter challenge via myspace.

Aug 2, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: