Archinect
anchor

Please recommend a decent moving van co. that won't rip me off.

planX

I am moving from Dallas to Virginia. Can someone please suggest a safe moving company that won't rip me off? It's just a small i bedroom apt. with a piano. Thanks

Jul 21, 07 1:23 pm
KEG

I think there are suggestions if you want to sift through this thread.
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=54735_0_42_0_C

I am actually get binding quotes today and haven't moved yet, so I don't know if I'm going to get ripped of yet or not ;)

Make sure you check out whoever you pick through http://movingscam.com/

Jul 21, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

btw, I thought a piano had to be moved by special piano movers...
http://www.123movers.com/guides/piano_mover.asp

Jul 21, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
planX

Thanks what to do.

Jul 21, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

We recently used ABF "U-Pack" for a cross country move of a 2 BR apt. It was way cheaper than the quotes we were getting from conventional movers. It did have a lot of drawbacks and a lot of our stuff got damaged... Basically a lot of our stuff shifted around a bit in transit resulting in damage, everything was dusty & dirty, and the trailer's floor wasn't completely watertight - somehow road spray made its way into the trailer and a few of our things were soaked...

Jul 22, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

when you use ABF go to e-move.com and hire professional packers. we only had one vase break, a shelving unit get minor damage - because we did not break it down, but by and large everything went smooth.

using a professional to pack and unpack save a few things; time, money, headache, and bringing in friends to help. they get it done quicker than you think, and know how to pack ABF trucks to save you space...

Jul 22, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
KEG

so I got a binding quote yesterday and it was $1470, which is $500 more than their internet quote. Online, I filled out a pretty thorough questionnaire and the guy couldn't account for the discrepancy. Also, my understanding was that they would store my stuff on the other side (in Philly) for free for up to 30 days and I'd call when I want it delivered locally. Now they are telling me that they don't store it, they call you 72 hours before they get there and then give you a three day delivery window (that's after taking your stuff 15 days earlier). I can't wait around for three days...orientation starts the day after I can move in (I can't get the apartment earlier) and I can't be paying for hotel rooms indefinitely. Ugg.

why is nothing straightforward?
I'm obviously going to get a couple more quotes.

Jul 22, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
planX

geez, what company is that?

Jul 22, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
planX

What to do,
I spoke with my leasing agent, and he said it is best to use the professionals, like Bekins, Mayflower, United. He gave me many horror stories about moving from LA to Dallas.

Jul 22, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
KEG
hercules! hercules!

oh...and one more thing. I said to the estimator...ok, well what is your minimum shipping weight that you charge for and I will get rid of enough stuff to be at or under that weight. He said the minimum move from LA to Philly is $1300. That's $330 more that the internet quote I got that specifically had my starting and ending zip codes. He couldn't explain that discrepancy either.

last thing, because they don't store my stuff and deliver locally in a small truck, they require that there is a loading zone that will fit a 53' truck. I have never been to my apartment and, though the leasing company said that there is a loading zone w/in 100', they don't know how big it is or if it will be open. The movers say that if they can't park, they have to go and rent a small truck and it will be a min. $500 charge.

nightmare.

Jul 22, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
planX

dude, which company??
Email me at [email protected]

Jul 22, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

look at the link in my post

Jul 22, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...ugh, no matter how many times one can point this out, i guess you just have to have bad experiences on your own....oh, and the leasing agent doesn't get a kick back? yeah right. sure go ahead and use those guys, they are franchises, but go ahead if the big name corporations are what you feel comfortable doing business with....good luck!

Jul 22, 07 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

what do you mean beta?

planX's suggestion of using a big co.?

"no matter how many times one can point this out"
point out what?

Jul 22, 07 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

most shipping places are just the middle person between you and the truck....

usually the shipper will get your numbers and then get the cheapest carrier to move your shit...

look into on of those moving pods/crates..... this way you load up your own stuff and they just scoop up the box....

the piano might be the problem.... but see if you can ship that in a pod also......

b

Jul 22, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I got two quotes and the upack pods were surprisingly more expensive (at least 25% more) and you have to do the work. I was shocked...

Jul 22, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: