Archinect
anchor

Any UBC students out there?

royc

Hey all,

A friend of mine and I are both recent architecture grads, considering applying to UBC for our M.Arch. Any thoughts on it in general? I've read the school blogs on here and a lot of the comparison threads, and they all seem really positive. And after spending two weeks in Vancouver last summer, I'm pretty well sold on it, and rather excited about the idea of going there.

We'll be visiting Oct. 29 - Nov. 4, so if anyone would be interested in showing off the school (any current students? I'd particularly love to see the studios and hear more about the projects) or providing your firsthand opinions, I'd like to talk to you! Just let me know.

Cheers,
- Roy

Oct 17, 12 1:32 am
Bench

Hi Royc,

Vancouver is consistently regarded as one of the best (if not the best) city in Canada to live in, and it sounds like you've discovered this already from your time there. Obviously that plays a large part in architectural education, so it is definitely an advantage.

Personally, I looked at applying B.ENDS program about 2-3 years ago and found the process a bit of a minefield. The website was pretty confusing in terms of who was eligible, what the pre-reqs were, etc. This is important info for you because I also believe if you are applying to the Masters from outside UBC you may run into some of this as they typically make outside-applicants do additional qualifying semesters. In the end I found it to be too much of a headache, so much so that I decided not to apply. I ended up attending another undergraduate arch school in Canada and recently graduated from there. While attending it, our dean's opinion of UBC was that it likely had the most recognizable name of the Canadian architecture schools (along with Toronto) in the States, mostly in the North-West Pacific area, and that it had a reputable program.

I'd absolutely encourage you to apply, as I think its supposed to be a great school (second-hand information though). Just be sure to do your research and find out EXACTLY from the administration what is expected from you in the application process - perhaps keep a paper trail of this as well.

Oct 17, 12 11:11 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

BenC : "..While attending it, our dean's opinion of UBC was that it likely had the most recognizable name of the Canadian architecture schools (along with Toronto) in the States"  By Toronto, he probably means graduate school because their undergrad is non-existant (ie: being phased out.. more of an architectural history program).

what school did you attend for undergrad?.

Oct 17, 12 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
royc

Thanks Ben, it's always encouraging to hear good stuff about UBC (I'm still kind of surprised by how unanimous it is on here, at least). I've lucked out, it seems, in that I'm applying to the M.Arch and already have a Bachelors' in architecture, so from what I can gather from the school blogs and their website, I'll not only be eligible, but with advanced standing (potentially chop a semester or even year off their 3yr program, which would be nice). Thanks for the heads up though, the international student thing could potentially be a bit of a headache.

Access - I went to the University of Minnesota. Decent school (middle of the running, but with some strengths), graduated top of my class w/ honors, so I figure I have a good chance of getting in (lots of UBC-UMN faculty ties, too). Why do you ask?

Oct 17, 12 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

that was meant for Ben.. but I may see you at UBC next year too :)  I'm sold on living in Vancouver.

Oct 18, 12 1:14 am  · 
 · 
Bench

akb: Yes, I was talking about name-recognition with regards to the Masters (since his original question was concerning the M.Arch).

Royc, that's certainly a good start having finished a pre-professional undergrad in architecture. I think they said it depends mainly on your portfolio with regards to the AP - technical prowess seems to be the main thing schools look for to get it. If you have contacts through UMN to UBC then all the better.

Oct 18, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
mapi

Hi Roy,

We are more than happy to show you around and put you in touch with current students. Let me know if you would like to pursue this further.

Best,

Markus Pickartz
Manager, Communications and Outreach
UBC School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture

[email protected]

Oct 23, 12 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Omgh

I also applied for fall 2013 session. I am impressed by these comments about the M.Arch program in UBC. I think i've made an excellent choice. I hope to get an advance placement too because I have a pre-professional degree in architecture. At least it should be a criteria with the portfolio.

Feb 1, 13 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

Hello Omgh,

Do you know when they send out acceptance letters? I may see you there :)

cheers

Feb 4, 13 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Omgh

@fobmasta: have u been offered admission? It is stated on the website that results/ notification will be out in the middle of march

Feb 4, 13 11:05 am  · 
 · 
fobmasta

Omgh,

Where exactly does it state that the results come out in the middle of march? Sorry I really can´t find it anywhere. and nope no admission offer yet. Thanks.

Feb 4, 13 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Omgh

@fobmasta:

www.sala.ubc.ca/admissions/master-architecture

u'll see the information on "notification of acceptance" at the bottom of the page.

Feb 4, 13 11:27 am  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@Omgh: Ah there it is! thank you. Best of luck to you!

Feb 4, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Omgh

Thank you, hope we get accepted and we get so see each other.

Feb 4, 13 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Neogi

@Omgh and fobmasta 

glad to hear all these positive comments about UBC, I applied for MArch fall 13 session also. Hopefully we get some good news, best of luck! 

Mar 4, 13 4:08 am  · 
 · 
agoodwinbrown

Another UBC MArch 1 AP applicant here. Completed my ENDS at Texas A&M and have been working professionally for the last three years. I'm hoping the comments about technical knowledge are right because I had an equal mix of academic and professional projects in my portfolio. I'm very excited about their school - and very anxious about letters! Is there word that they send hard copy letters or emails? If I make it out there - I'm still figuring out if my Texas blood can handle those winters!

I think the school is gaining a very good reputation and they are working hard to achieve it.The fact that Vancouver has taken off as an international city in the last decade has definitely helped the school of architecture. Either way, I think it will be a very reputable degree to have in the upcoming decade.

Good luck to all the applicants out there! Here's hoping for the best.

Mar 4, 13 9:29 am  · 
 · 
fobmasta

Does UBC give out full tuition scholarships??

Mar 4, 13 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

Any news guys???

Mar 8, 13 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

They say mid-march, so Im assuming either on the 15th Friday or the 18th Monday....

Mar 8, 13 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@fobmasta

The wait is getting a little annoying now. Lots of  random questions and doubts just popping up in the mind!

Mar 8, 13 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@architintin

Only a week to go, meanwhile you could watch wbc or libertadores :)

Mar 8, 13 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=ubc+architecture&t=a&o=&pp=25

It seems UBC has started sending out admit offers. Check out the link.

Mar 9, 13 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@architintin

Thanks for the website, never knew about this place. No letter yet though :(

Mar 9, 13 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

any updates....anybody ?  :(

Mar 12, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
ange

I also applied but haven't heard anything yet :(

Mar 12, 13 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
ERO33

No news from anyone?

I also applied for fall 2013.  I have my Bachelor's in Studio Art and Chinese, have yet to see any other applicants that are not Arch background.  I am completing my second semester at Kansas State in their first of five year Masters of Arch program.  I am 27 and attending school with 17 year olds, makes me feel like the old guy.  Last fact I heard was if Justin Beiber were to go to school, this would be his freshman year.  Boy did that hit home!

I am hoping to transfer to Vancouver because of the wonderful environment and culture in the city, as well as the prowess of the school.  Also impressed by the Mentor program, which is non existent at K state (even though its a top 5 program).  

Go Canucks!! 

Good luck to all that applied.  Can't wait to cross paths with you should that be our fate!

Mar 12, 13 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
royc

Admitted with advanced standing via mail on Tuesday. I called the office and she said they're "still making decisions", and would have everything out by the end of the week. Good luck everybody!

Mar 13, 13 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

Wow now that's an update!! Congrats @royc !!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mar 13, 13 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
royc

Thanks, architintin!

By the way, ERO33 -- don't worry about your non-arch background, UBC makes a point of accepting lots of non-arch-background students, and I know students with art backgrounds have had good luck in the past. When I visited earlier this fall, a couple of the example portfolios I saw were by art majors, so you're in good standing.

Mar 13, 13 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

Their site doesn't have any update! :( :(   

I hope they send admit and rejection letter together, I can't wait any longer- whatever their decision!

Mar 14, 13 5:44 am  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@conrats royc!

@architintin I agree with you, this week felt like a month... and tomorrow will feel like a year...

Mar 14, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@fobmasta

If not today then we will have to wait another 2 more days~thinking about it makes me sick!!

Mar 14, 13 10:47 am  · 
 · 
agoodwinbrown

Has anyone located in the U.S. received a letter, yet? Not sure where all the applicants that have posted are from. I'm wondering how long of a lag time will be involved with the transit time to get to Texas. Torture!

Mar 14, 13 10:54 am  · 
 · 
ashawk

I live in the US and I received my acceptance package on Monday. I got an email notification from DHL saying I had a package on the way and it was overnighted from Vancouver.

Mar 14, 13 11:14 am  · 
 · 
agoodwinbrown

Interesting, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Mar 14, 13 11:26 am  · 
 · 
royc

Same thing as ashawk, I received a DHL notification on Monday and the package on Tuesday; I'm in the Bay Area.

Mar 14, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

Hey guys I just received an email from DHL as well! Does this mean I am accepted? What is in the package?? 

Mar 14, 13 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@royc @ashawk

Is there any update about your admission in their webpage/site ? I mean have they notificed about the acceptance in the site ? 

Mar 14, 13 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@fobmasta ..

All the Best!

Mar 14, 13 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@architintin

Thank you :) Best of luck to you too!

Mar 14, 13 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
ashawk

@architintin

The website still has not been updated for me. The package had a letter, a book and a poster of their upcoming lecture series.

I misspoke before , I received mine on the same day as royc, and I am located in MN if that matters. 

Mar 14, 13 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
royc

ashawk -- you're from MN? Same here! I'm from Stillwater originally. What school did you go to?

Same story on the website and package contents. Still haven't gotten an email, either. The book is a summary of a recent competition and series of lectures that UBC put on regarding rehousing homeless people in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. It's pretty interesting.

Mar 14, 13 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
ashawk

I'm currently in the BS program at UMN. I've been accepted at Vancouver, UMN and UCD and have yet to hear from Seattle. Now I just need to make a decision...

Mar 14, 13 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
royc

Haha I probably know you, then -- I just graduated from the BS last year.

Any of the three/four that you're leaning toward yet?

Mar 14, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
ange

I called the office (because I'm impatient lol) and she said that all the letters should be sent out by today and are being mailed in no particular order so everyone should know by the end of next week at the very latest :) 

Mar 15, 13 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

I didn't get any message, email or mail from them does that mean I am rejected ?

I am an international applicant(India), Will they mail about my status  through courier ? ( I mean, sending a mail through courier will take more time, besides the extra money, I doubt they will take that effort)

Saturday I am planning to call them and check the status. Any suggestion?

Mar 15, 13 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
ERO33

I also got impatient enough this afternoon to call in.  They had planned on getting all the responses out by this afternoon, but there were still some remaining that they hadn't gotten to.  As such, they will continue through next week and absolutely everyone would know their status by the end of next week at the very latest.  All responses, whether accepted or rejected, are going out by DHL (overnight) or by post (snail mail).  I saw on gradcafe that someone got rejected via email, but the woman on the phone assured me that all would be one of the two mailing options.  I think it is safe to assume which response entails which type of post, but that is pure speculation (kinda gathered from earlier posts).

I have yet to hear, the anticipation is killing me.  I have never been so anxious, even about getting into college before, or prep school even.  

Congrats to those of you that have been accepted.  Great weekend to celebrate it!  Happy St. Patty's to all.

Mar 15, 13 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Neogi

@ER033 I definitely feel the same way, this is causing me way more anxiety than anything else. 

Best of luck to all 

Mar 15, 13 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

I don't understand why they have to complicate things so much! They could just send a email first, and then proceed with the letter mail(not required though). So much chaos right now!! Unnecessary procedures.

Also I am strongly against this postal thing,so much wastage of paper, money and a big inconvenience for people like me (international students). Probability of the letter not reaching me at all is quite high. Even the prospectus could be send via email as a PDF (whats the big deal). When technology has progressed so much and when UBC is speaking about making the campus environmental friendly-Why are they doing this !

(Yeah also, What about the wastage of time, Our time and Their time !)

Mar 17, 13 12:28 am  · 
 · 
fobmasta

@architintin

I am not sure if it is just me but I received an email from the UBC grad Admission Office about my acceptance. It is not from SALA though. 

Mar 17, 13 2:23 am  · 
 · 
Abhinav Sunil

@fobmasta

Congrats!! When did you receive the email?

Mar 17, 13 2:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: